Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 09:12 AM)
Big deal, you beat Indiana...everyone beats Indi......f***.

We got a couple quality freshmen on the squad though. In fact, we have the #2 scoring freshman in the Big Ten in Basabe. Fran has done a good job in his first year. Better than I expected to say the least. He's been able to identify lesser recruits that have been able to play a bit (given how many young players they have logging minutes).

Still a horrible team, but given how far they've fallen since Alford left town, its nice to have a 2 game winning streak for the first time since Alford (who in and of itself at least had Iowa contending for a march madness path every other year).

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 01:13 AM)
Quietly, UNC is 7-1 in the ACC. I knew they were playing better (and yes I know the ACC isn't that good), but 7-1 is pretty legit. With all that talent, and ultimately a young team, it makes sense they're turning it around. Plus people probably overreacted to losses to good teams in the non-con. I sure wouldn't want to play them in March.

It's funny, the second I saw that Drew was leaving the program, I thought that UNC was probably my favorite tournament sleeper. They have two extremely talented players up front and a glut of talented wings, but their PG situation was a bit of a mess. Now Roy will be forced to play their best pure passer until he collapses every game. They're definitely a tough matchup for a lot of teams with their length and athleticism.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 04:47 AM)
I would guess that 90% of the posters on this thread is unhappy with how the basketball season is going for their team.

I'm thrilled with this season, as it was the nail in the coffin for Hewitt. A .500 conference record, and you never know if they bring him back.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 03:58 PM)
I'm thrilled with this season, as it was the nail in the coffin for Hewitt. A .500 conference record, and you never know if they bring him back.

Hopefully I can say the same about Lowery. It's looking more and more likely that he will indeed be fired but I wont believe it until I see it.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 11:10 PM)
Hopefully I can say the same about Lowery. It's looking more and more likely that he will indeed be fired but I wont believe it until I see it.

I've heard he's out, but I'm sure you have better sources than I do.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 05:11 PM)
I've heard he's out, but I'm sure you have better sources than I do.

Everything that I've heard is that this past week was indeed the final straw but like I said, I'll believe it when I see it. At this point, I just expect the worst out of everything from this program so who knows.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)

Calling Chris Collins.

/wishful thinking

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 04:31 PM)
If Lowery does indeed get axed, I'd assume Rodney would be the safe bet to get the job but that's just an educated guess from me.

That would do nothing for me.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 05:47 PM)
Who's Rodney?

Rodney Watson. Assistant for SIU forever then went to Southern Indiana and has been the head coach there for a couple years now. He's been absolutely dominant at USI but he had Jamar Smith last year and a pretty damn talented team for a D2 school. No clue what the talent looks like this year but these obviously aren't all players that he recruited in, so it's hard to get a good read obviously. To be honest, I just don't know enough about him to make an informed opinion.. That being said, Brian and I have talked about this and the one thing we both agree on is that we want SIU to actually hold a national coaching search and not just automatically stay in the SIU family like they've done for years now.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 10:54 PM)
Rodney Watson. Assistant for SIU forever then went to Southern Indiana and has been the head coach there for a couple years now. He's been absolutely dominant at USI but he had Jamar Smith last year and a pretty damn talented team for a D2 school. No clue what the talent looks like this year but these obviously aren't all players that he recruited in, so it's hard to get a good read obviously. To be honest, I just don't know enough about him to make an informed opinion.. That being said, Brian and I have talked about this and the one thing we both agree on is that we want SIU to actually hold a national coaching search and not just automatically stay in the SIU family like they've done for years now.

I was under the impression that the USI coach was dirtier than hell. Hopefully that's not true.

Watson is a really great guy, and he wouldnt be the worst option if SIU ended up with him. Personally I would still rather go with Paul Lusk, but that is just me. I actually wouldnt want Chris Collins, because it would be a fix up and out deal with him. Lusk and Watson both have history with the University, and Lusk is now an assistant at Purdue under Painter, which I think is great experience.

Either way, Lowery has to go. In one fell swoop he destroyed all of the good will, revenue, and national attention that SIU earned over a span of 7 years. The University has to realize that they cannot be paying him 750K when they arent even getting 4000 fans in the door of the RENOVATED arena to see this s***ty product.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 07:23 PM)
Korie Lucious will head to either Iowa State or Marquette.

And the Des Moines Register is reporting Marquette has no interest. Looks like we've got our point guard for 2012-2013.