Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 10:45 PM)
I'm shocked Illinois didn't lose. I hate watching Weber's teams on offense (actually, defense too but they are better there). They need to bring in an offensive coordinator...burning off the shot clock with a bunch of looping slow passes (slow enough to allow constant double-teaming that generated turnovers) to take a worse shot than you could have gotten by just chucking at the beginning of the set is ridiculous. And it's clearly not the players choice...you can tell they would rather run.

Illinois is 2nd in the Big 10 in possession per game and I think Weber would actually be fine with running more but this team hasn't been forcing turnovers and isn't great on the glass. When that is the case you aren't really going to be able to push tempo. I don't like the offense at the end of games although I don't think the idea of putting the ball in your best players hands and letting him make a play is a bad one. It is just that McCamey has proven time and time again he isn't that guy.

Crazy ending in the Nebraska OU game. Neb was up 3 in the final seconds. OU took a deep shot and made it. Everyone in the gym other than the refs thought it was a 3. There were 3.7 seconds left after OU made the shot that they thought tied it. Nebraska ran down to take a prayer to win, which they missed. Refs look at replay and it was correctly called a two, but no one on OU thought it was (or saw the call) so they didn't foul and Nebraska got the win.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 10:01 PM)
Illinois is 2nd in the Big 10 in possession per game and I think Weber would actually be fine with running more but this team hasn't been forcing turnovers and isn't great on the glass. When that is the case you aren't really going to be able to push tempo. I don't like the offense at the end of games although I don't think the idea of putting the ball in your best players hands and letting him make a play is a bad one. It is just that McCamey has proven time and time again he isn't that guy.

Well, the Big Ten as a whole is a slow tempo conference but I'm still surprised UI is number 2. In any case, thinking about it, I was wrong about the pace Illinois plays and the idea that they should run more. What I would really like to see is not them running more, but instead just not looking awful in the halfcourt. I keyed in on them going uptempo because when they did that I didn't have to watch them run their version of motion offense. Obviously, there have been games where UI looked fine because they shot the lights out, but it's been a while since that happened.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 11:19 AM)
The three worst refs in the country are all predominantly Big Ten refs. Hillary, Burr, and Hightower. Valentine is bad too, but he doesn't do a whole lot here. Anyways, it's a wonder why the officiating in the conference is so bad. I'm actually to the point where I almost like seeing Hightower.

Teddy Valentine is awful. He did our game tonight. You know it's bad when before the game starts, everybody was making a big deal about the refs.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 10:06 PM)
Crazy ending in the Nebraska OU game. Neb was up 3 in the final seconds. OU took a deep shot and made it. Everyone in the gym other than the refs thought it was a 3. There were 3.7 seconds left after OU made the shot that they thought tied it. Nebraska ran down to take a prayer to win, which they missed. Refs look at replay and it was correctly called a two, but no one on OU thought it was (or saw the call) so they didn't foul and Nebraska got the win.

Wait, so after the fact, they went back and changed it but didn't put the 3.7 seconds back on the clock? That's BS.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 12:19 PM)
Wait, so after the fact, they went back and changed it but didn't put the 3.7 seconds back on the clock? That's BS.

From his post it seems that the refs called it a 2 initially and then confirmed the call on replay so it is Oklahoma's fault for not being more aware.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 11:45 AM)
From his post it seems that the refs called it a 2 initially and then confirmed the call on replay so it is Oklahoma's fault for not being more aware.

Yeah, that's how it went down. Still seems kinda crappy that they couldn't confirm the call in the first place, but the call was right. The bizarre part is that even Nebraska thought it was a 3.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 01:02 PM)
Yeah, that's how it went down. Still seems kinda crappy that they couldn't confirm the call in the first place, but the call was right. The bizarre part is that even Nebraska thought it was a 3.

Maybe they didn't? Maybe they were just acting like it was a 3 to throw Oklahoma off?

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 11:53 AM)
I remember a time, a simpler time, when the Salukis were unbeatable at home. Darn those powerhouse Sycamores.

A long time ago, with 2 coaches that are far far away......

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 01:42 PM)
I've read a couple of posts elsewhere recently claiming that Weber's success at SIU was a product of Painter. It's an interesting theory that certainly seems reasonable right now.

LOL. I dont think so. If anything, BOTH of their success can be contributed to Keady. Weber recruited those kids, he coached them, he put them in a position to succeed. Im not knocking Painter at all, I met him a few times and I really like the guy as a coach and a person, but Weber drove the SIU car until he left, and he put the keys into capable hands. SIU unfortunately put those very same keys into the hands of a incapable armless man who was able to drive as long as the road was straight.

Well, at least we scared Mizzou.

If next year's team, the one that will have Chris Allen and Royce White and actual talent, plays as hard as this year's, they are Top 25.

I just hope Baylor is the 5 seed in the Big 12 tourney.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Feb 19, 2011 -> 09:23 PM)

If next year's team, the one that will have Chris Allen and Royce White and actual talent, plays as hard as this year's, they are Top 25.

I keep telling you not to get that excited with Chris Allen. He basically was a bust at Michigan State. White's the one with the exciting potential, IMO.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Feb 19, 2011 -> 03:23 PM)

Baylor has @ Mizzou, vs ATM, @ Ok State, vs Texas left. I highly doubt they can pull off better than 2-2 in that stretch and 2-2 won't get them the 5 seed. My money is on K State if they win at Nebraska.