Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
What about Nebraska!

I expect they will be terrible with PSU.

Nebraska loses their PG and best player but they return basically everyone else from a team that has been respectable this year so they should be at least decent next year as well.

Lighty was not awful as a freshman, he was a defensive stopper on the outside for a team that was in the national title game. I agree with Diebler as he went into a shooting slump the minute he touched down in Columbus. I think you are underrating not only the talent coming in, but the talent that is already there as well as the coaching staff in place. I fully expect OSU to contend for the conference title again next year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 04:30 PM)
Lighty was not awful as a freshman, he was a defensive stopper on the outside for a team that was in the national title game. I agree with Diebler as he went into a shooting slump the minute he touched down in Columbus. I think you are underrating not only the talent coming in, but the talent that is already there as well as the coaching staff in place. I fully expect OSU to contend for the conference title again next year.

David Lighty was an awful offensive basketball player. He was very inefficient scoring the basketball, and he turned the ball over at an incredible rate for a guy who wasn't very aggressive on offense. What talent am I underrating that is currently on campus? I think Craft is very good. Thomas has been awful in Big 10 play this year but he is clearly talented. Smith wasn't a top 100 player and hasn't seen the floor. Sibert has barely seen the floor and when he has he has been awful. They might end up good, but there is little to no evidence to support that. Let me ask you this, minus Sullinger do you think next years team is more talented then the team with Koufos, Turner, Diebler and Lauderdale as freshmen, Jamar Butler as a SR and Lighty as a sophomore. Butler and Lighty are at worst comparable talents to Thomas and Craft. Turner, Diebler, and Lauderdale were all fairly similarly ranked recruits to the guys in the 2011 class for OSU (a little lower but the 2007 HS class is quite possibly the greatest class ever when it comes to basketball) and Koufos obviously was a much better recruit than anyone in the current OSU class. That team made the NIT, I think next years team would make the tournament but if they compete for a Big 10 title I would bet it is because the Big 10 is bad.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)
Nebraska loses their PG and best player but they return basically everyone else from a team that has been respectable this year so they should be at least decent next year as well.

I think Nebraska could struggle in the Big Ten because they play slowdown. That screws with some of the faster teams in the conference like Mizzou (who they do fairly well against in Lincoln), Texas (who they beat this year) and Kansas (who they almost beat in Lawrence this year). They won't be such an unusual match up for most of the Big Ten.

As for what Heads said a bit ago, the Big 12 is going to be tougher next year because they are switching to an 18 game schedule and Colorado and Nebraska are at best mediocre (like this year). Take away some of the easier games and throw in two games against the other division (for the south playing Mizzou and Kansas twice and for the north playing the non Tech Texas schools twice). The Big whatever probably won't be as top heavy next year, but it should be deep and you're playing everyone twice. The SOS of the remaining teams in the conference should go up.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 05:01 PM)
Yes, they are more talented than the team that won the NIT tournament. Koufos was garbage, Turner couldnt dribble or shoot yet, Diebler was in a slump, and Lauderdale barely played.

And how exactly do you know that these freshmen are better than and more talented than those freshmen when those freshmen were ranked comparably and in Koufos's case much higher than anyone in OSU's current class in the greatest HS bball class of all time? Unless OSU's freshmen significantly outplay their ranking (possible, unlikely but possible) OSU won't be a Big 10 title contender next year (unless the Big 10 is last year's Pac 10 bad).

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 03:01 PM)
I pretty much agree. If Illinois doesn't beat Indiana and win two in the B10 tourney they should be out. Knight said the Big 10 will have more undeserving teams in the ncaa tournament than any other conference and I think he's right. The B10 should get 4 bids max and that's pushing it.

I just saw this post now, but how on Earth should the Big 10 only get 4 bids when it is the #2 RPI conference, #1 Kenpom conference and the #2 Sagarin conference? Just so we are clear, when Big East teams beat each other that means the conference is deep and awesome but when the Big 10 teams beat each other the conference isn't really that good and will get undeserving bids.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 04:18 PM)
I just saw this post now, but how on Earth should the Big 10 only get 4 bids when it is the #2 RPI conference, #1 Kenpom conference and the #2 Sagarin conference? Just so we are clear, when Big East teams beat each other that means the conference is deep and awesome but when the Big 10 teams beat each other the conference isn't really that good and will get undeserving bids.

KenPom's ratings on the Big Ten are bizarre. Illinois at 21? Indiana 72? Iowa 84? KenPom is a fun tool, but I can't buy that.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 04:12 PM)
And how exactly do you know that these freshmen are better than and more talented than those freshmen when those freshmen were ranked comparably and in Koufos's case much higher than anyone in OSU's current class in the greatest HS bball class of all time? Unless OSU's freshmen significantly outplay their ranking (possible, unlikely but possible) OSU won't be a Big 10 title contender next year (unless the Big 10 is last year's Pac 10 bad).

Says you. I say different. Who is right? I guess we'll have to actually watch it play out. I personally, along with alot of other Buckeye fans, would rate the returning talent much higher next year than it was in 07-08. Not only that, but we think they fit very nicely in with the incoming class. Next year they may struggle since they are young, but I fully expect them to once again compete for a conference title especially since I dont think a team is going to run away with it like they did that year. If OSU wins 1 of the next 2 games that makes 4 out of the last 6 conference titles, I'm sure you didnt predict each of those before they happened either.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 04:22 PM)
KenPom's ratings on the Big Ten are bizarre. Illinois at 21? Indiana 72? Iowa 84? KenPom is a fun tool, but I can't buy that.

Its still the #2 RPI conference and thats not just because of one team. 4 teams is hilariously absurd.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 04:26 PM)
Its still the #2 RPI conference and thats not just because of one team. 4 teams is hilariously absurd.

Not sure what this means, but I wasn't really talking about the quality of the Big Ten. I was just saying KenPom had some strange rankings.

Kenpom's preseason Big Ten rankings BTW

Preseason

TEAM CONF OVRL

Ohio State 14-4 26-5

Michigan State 13-5 21-7

Wisconsin 11-7 20-8

Illinois 11-7 21-9

Purdue 10-8 20-10

Minnesota 9-9 18-10

Northwestern 9-9 18-10

Penn State 7-11 16-13

Indiana 5-13 14-16

Iowa 5-13 12-16

Michigan 4-14 12-18

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 08:22 PM)
Who are these Illini players and why did BW leave the seniors at home?

Got excited and checked the score, 5 mins after checking Purdue scores 6 straight and cuts the lead in half, of course.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 07:39 PM)
Come on Illinois, no lapses!

Impossible for this team, although with DMac finally playing well again the last couple of games the fact he is out with 2 fouls has really hurt the team in the last few minutes. Get into halftime with the lead and I'm feeling pretty good. Also, I love the momentum charge call on Paul, that was a pretty clear block on Purdue but with the building rocking and momentum on Purdue's side there was never a doubt Purdue was getting that call. College refs are so easily influenced by the home crowd.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 07:47 PM)
Keep McCamey in!!!! 31-18 Illinois before he picked up his 2nd foul, lucky that the game is still tied at halftime.

Should have brought him back once Purdue took momentum back. You can't let them come back and tie the game at halftime like Illinois just did. And that is why Crandall doesn't play more by the way. He makes some great plays and is a phenomenal athlete but he is careless with the ball and that year off because of the ACL tear really slowed down his development.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 06:50 PM)
Should have brought him back once Purdue took momentum back. You can't let them come back and tie the game at halftime like Illinois just did. And that is why Crandall doesn't play more by the way. He makes some great plays and is a phenomenal athlete but he is careless with the ball and that year off because of the ACL tear really slowed down his development.

Considering what's at stake and being a 10 pt. road underdog, he definitely should have brought him back to try and slow down the home momentum.

I agree about Crandall, definitely looks like he can be a playmaker in the future. I don't know if it's just the #4 jersey, but he totally reminds of his brother already.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 1, 2011 -> 07:04 PM)
Considering what's at stake and being a 10 pt. road underdog, he definitely should have brought him back to try and slow down the home momentum.

I agree about Crandall, definitely looks like he can be a playmaker in the future. I don't know if it's just the #4 jersey, but he totally reminds of his brother already.

the way he runs, dribbles, jumps...everything. same body movements it seems.