Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 5, 2011 -> 10:42 PM)
Come on Rock, there are no great teams (including Ohio State) and you know it. The only team that had a shot at being great this year was Duke if Irving hadn't have got hurt. I'd say the last "great" team was 2009 North Carolina. I don't think there were any great teams last year either, but people are noticing the poor quality of college hoops in particular this year because the at large pool absolutely sucks and there are 3 more teams making the tournament as well.

Blah blah. What qualifies a team as great?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 5, 2011 -> 10:47 PM)
Blah blah. What qualifies a team as great?

I'm gonna guess he's saying it's a wire to wire #1 that was THE favorite going into the tourney and then won. I'm not saying whether that's right or wrong, but UNC fits that profile.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 5, 2011 -> 11:01 PM)
I'm gonna guess he's saying it's a wire to wire #1 that was THE favorite going into the tourney and then won. I'm not saying whether that's right or wrong, but UNC fits that profile.

The comments above were made regardless of the tournament results. I want to know the criteria for what a "great" team is, because it seems like it's an eye test.

FYI. 2009 unc had 4 losses to Bc, fsu, Maryland and wf

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 5, 2011 -> 11:54 PM)
Why exactly? That ILL team had 1.5 NBA players, why is that so much better than this year?

That UNC team was incredibly talented and none of them turned out to be that good in the NBA(Felton has turned out pretty good this season), great college teams don't always produce much in NBA so to use that as a reason is boneheaded.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 5, 2011 -> 11:26 PM)
FYI. 2009 unc had 4 losses to Bc, fsu, Maryland and wf

They had 4 losses, but were a number 1 seed and the only teams ahead of them in the polls were Louisville (who had 5 losses) and Memphis (who had 3 and doesn't play in a good conference). I'll say what I said is a decent definition. It's hard to know in advance unless it's a defending champ with the same core like Florida recently (who lost 5 games but had that target on their back all year).

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 6, 2011 -> 12:34 AM)
That UNC team was incredibly talented and none of them turned out to be that good in the NBA(Felton has turned out pretty good this season), great college teams don't always produce much in NBA so to use that as a reason is boneheaded.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 6, 2011 -> 12:40 AM)
They had 4 losses, but were a number 1 seed and the only teams ahead of them in the polls were Louisville (who had 5 losses) and Memphis (who had 3 and doesn't play in a good conference). I'll say what I said is a decent definition. It's hard to know in advance unless it's a defending champ with the same core like Florida recently (who lost 5 games but had that target on their back all year).

So basically there is no reason other than it's this year. Still waiting to find out what a great team is. MY team hasq 2 losses at Wisconsin and at purdue. They have plenty of top 25 rpi wins including on the road. They also have probably 4 NBA players in the lineup. Tell me why they aren't great other than your eye test.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2011 -> 12:58 AM)
So basically there is no reason other than it's this year. Still waiting to find out what a great team is. MY team hasq 2 losses at Wisconsin and at purdue. They have plenty of top 25 rpi wins including on the road. They also have probably 4 NBA players in the lineup. Tell me why they aren't great other than your eye test.

I didn't say they weren't great and I don't give a f*** about your damn OSU team. Geez.

Oh me oh my someone doesn't think Rock's OSU team is great? What is the world coming to? Who gives a flying f***?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 6, 2011 -> 03:10 PM)
Could be a fun finish in the MVC championship game. Missouri St. has been horrendous in the 2nd half but just hit a big 3 to get within 1 with a little under 30 seconds left.

Sycs win. Never in a million years would I have thought that InSU would be the representative this year for the Valley. God this league sucks.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 6, 2011 -> 04:21 PM)
Sycs win. Never in a million years would I have thought that InSU would be the representative this year for the Valley. God this league sucks.

Yeah I was looking at Missouri St.'s resume to see if they had a chance at an at large bid but their resume is absolutely awful except for their RPI. No top 50 wins and only 3 top 100 wins for the entire season just doesn't give you any chance.

So who are people's early auto bid sleepers? Fairfield, Missouri State and Coastal Carolina were all top seeds that had a decent shot to pull an upset but lost in their conference tourneys. Heck even George Mason lost (though they'll get an at-large taking away a bubble spot). Who's left?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 6, 2011 -> 12:58 AM)

Well first off, you still have to win the title to be considered as great, and that's a long way off. Even if so though, Ohio State is not a great team. They're really not even all that close to being a great team. I'm not sure how I can tell you they're not great other than the eye test though, because that's kind of how determining a great team works. And since you're a Buckeye fan, you are going to defend them as great and not acknowledge the fact they're not. And quite frankly, you don't have any wins that have overwhelmed me this season other than at Florida. If you're going to go 14-15 on 3's every game though, I like your chances to win it all though. Although honestly, I'd say you're the favorites even if you don't. But you're not a great team, and quite honestly you're not even close to one. The last two UNC teams to win it all would both beat this Ohio State team by 10+ on a neutral, as would both Florida title games. tOSU is the best of a bad lot this year, and we'll see if they take advantage and win it all.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 6, 2011 -> 05:09 PM)
So who are people's early auto bid sleepers? Fairfield, Missouri State and Coastal Carolina were all top seeds that had a decent shot to pull an upset but lost in their conference tourneys. Heck even George Mason lost (though they'll get an at-large taking away a bubble spot). Who's left?

Belmont

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 6, 2011 -> 04:38 PM)
Don't lose to every decent team you play in the non-conference and it wouldn't be a problem.

See Illinois State the past two years.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 6, 2011 -> 07:21 PM)
Belmont

Absolutely.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 6, 2011 -> 07:27 PM)
See Illinois State the past two years.

Illinois State just plays nobody. Their ooc schedule is always just horrid. But ya, Mo State doesn't belong anywhere near the tourny this year, their resume is horrendous.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 6, 2011 -> 06:30 PM)
Absolutely.

Illinois State just plays nobody. Their ooc schedule is always just horrid. But ya, Mo State doesn't belong anywhere near the tourny this year, their resume is horrendous.

That's what I meant. Ill st may have been the best in the mvc the past two years but couldn't win conference tourney and rightfully were left out.

If only they had played Illinois. Ha