Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 05:25 PM)
Grant wants 3 million a year to leave Alabama (makes 1.8 now) and won't sign a clause saying he won't leave for Florida. Don't forget that Donovan's contract stated he couldn't leave for the NBA for 5 years after the debacle a few years ago, so Donovan might be looking to go to the NBA soon.

And I would offer him that money. Maybe he leaves for Florida maybe he doesn't but I am a believer in hiring the best coach possible and I think Grant is that guy. Will Guenther do that? f*** no he won't because he is a freaking joke.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 02:10 PM)
It's not his height, it's the size of his ass. He also has a good midrange game he hasn't shown in college. He's also a very good rebounder. He'll be a good PF in the NBA but not a star. Could be a 20-10 type of guy at his peak Elton Brand-esque.

Consequently Brands draft was about as weak as this one will be.

Francis had a nice career for a while; Brand was legit before he got injured; Lamar Odom is an above average player. Baron Davis was pretty solid for a while before injuries got the best of him; Rip was pretty solid.

5 of the top 6 picks (see guys named above) all had a few well above average seasons in this league. Bender was the one full blown bust.

Wally Z wasn't anything special but he was a solid role player till back injuries got the best of him. Shawn Marion has been good, Jason Terry is a machine 6th man, Andre Miller a very underrated above average point guard. In fact, the 1999 draft was a pretty damn deep draft that produced a lot of quality players. No full on star, but a lot of good players and plenty of all stars.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 04:26 PM)
Brand and Sullinger are pretty similar, I just feel that Sullinger has gotten a lot of soft calls. I know that as an OSU you fan you disagree, but thats just my perspective.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?a...;p1=elton-brand

I just dont like undersized power forwards, but thats just my bias.

That's just because you aren't used to post players, you think he should back up and jack some threes. ;)

Like i said, Sully has a good midrange game he really hasn't shown much this year. If he does stay, i expect him to break it out quite a bit next season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 04:28 PM)
Sullinger does seem to have gotten heavier as the season's gone on. He looked slow today. And don't you dare rip my man Michael Sweetney. He was fantastic at Georgetown!

But is eating bon-bons "playing" basketball overseas.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 05:26 PM)
Let's be honest, there's no much of a chance of Weber getting canned.

If they make the tourney (which they should and probably will) I agree. If they don't, all bets are off and there will be a ton of pressure on the administration to get rid of Weber.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 04:28 PM)
Sullinger does seem to have gotten heavier as the season's gone on. He looked slow today. And don't you dare rip my man Michael Sweetney. He was fantastic at Georgetown!

He did play every min. He lost like 30lbs before the season started as well. I'm sure he burgered some of it back on.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 05:29 PM)
Francis had a nice career for a while; Brand was legit before he got injured; Lamar Odom is an above average player. Baron Davis was pretty solid for a while before injuries got the best of him; Rip was pretty solid.

5 of the top 6 picks (see guys named above) all had a few well above average seasons in this league. Bender was the one full blown bust.

Wally Z wasn't anything special but he was a solid role player till back injuries got the best of him. Shawn Marion has been good, Jason Terry is a machine 6th man, Andre Miller a very underrated above average point guard. In fact, the 1999 draft was a pretty damn deep draft that produced a lot of quality players. No full on star, but a lot of good players and plenty of all stars.

That draft was solid, the draft that sets the bar for failure was the 2000 NBA draft.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 04:29 PM)

That's exactly the kind of draft this looks to be. A lot of good players, no superstars. And all bets are off on who actually succeeds.

The problem is when Leuer posts up he doesnt get the same foul calls as Sullinger does. Its probably because Leuer is 6'10 and so when he jumps hes clearly above the defender, where as no matter how high Sullinger jumps a defenders arm seems to be coming down on him.

:)

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 02:33 PM)
That's exactly the kind of draft this looks to be. A lot of good players, no superstars. And all bets are off on who actually succeeds.

I tend to think this looks like a draft with a lot of role players and not much else.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 04:35 PM)
The problem is when Leuer posts up he doesnt get the same foul calls as Sullinger does. Its probably because Leuer is 6'10 and so when he jumps hes clearly above the defender, where as no matter how high Sullinger jumps a defenders arm seems to be coming down on him.

:)

He needs to put on about 60 lbs in the ass region and he'll draw some contact. The partially Sullys technique though, he forces you into contact.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 05:29 PM)
So Scott Drew is lobbying for any and every possible job. He's trying to get LSU to can Trent Johnson so he can go there.

Scott Drew sucks and anyone that hires him is f***ing stupid. He cheats and still can't win.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)
It's not his height, it's the size of his ass. He also has a good midrange game he hasn't shown in college. He's also a very good rebounder. He'll be a good PF in the NBA but not a star. Could be a 20-10 type of guy at his peak Elton Brand-esque.

Consequently Brands draft was about as weak as this one will be.

Sullinger's ass isn't going to be as effective in the league though. Brand stat wise is a fair comp, but I think Brand's a step quicker. I remember him using that step and athleticism to get points when he was with the Bulls. Sullinger is athletic for his size, but that extra step he doesn't have could be a difference. I see him as more of a solid NBA player than a top 5 caliber pick.

Sullinger probably could use another year in college, I bet he would get picked higher if he showed off more moves and range.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 04:25 PM)
Sean May.

Good comp, but scouts like Sullinger a lot better than they ever liked May so we must be missing something.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 04:41 PM)
Scott Drew sucks and anyone that hires him is f***ing stupid. He cheats and still can't win.

I'd like him out of the Big 12. Not that he could ever win at Hilton, but I'd like Baylor to suck again.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 04:32 PM)
Marcus Fizer memories...

You shall not take his name in vain. For as useless as he was in the NBA, the level of dominance he displayed in Ames was sickening.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 04:36 PM)
I tend to think this looks like a draft with a lot of role players and not much else.

I disagree, it is more like 2000's draft. There's only about 3 prospects who have a chance at being all-stars, and even then, they probably won't. This draft is going to be awful.

I disagree with this draft being anything worse than average. I think it compares very favorably to last years class.

2010:

Wall

Turner

Favors

Johnson

Cousins

Udoh

Aminu

Monroe

Hayward

2011:

Barnes

Irving

Kanter

Derrick Williams

Sullinger

Perry Jones

Motiejunas

Vesely

Terrance Jones

Wall is clearly the best player from either class coming out, but from there I think you would be hard pressed to say the 2010 class has more long-term potential than the 2011 class if many of these freshman come out. Others like Kemba Walker, Alec Burks, Tristan Thompson, Jordan Hamilton, Brandon Knight etc could easily be on the list. They will be long-time NBA players.

I think the main gripe is that you only have one legit PG and one legit C prospect that seem to be future all-stars in Irving, and Kanter. However, the 2,3, and 4 positions seem to be well stocked. I haven't seen the foreign guys play, but it seems Jonas Valanciunas would be a legit center if he came out as well.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 06:26 PM)
I disagree with this draft being anything worse than average. I think it compares very favorably to last years class.

2010:

Wall

Turner

Favors

Johnson

Cousins

Udoh

Aminu

Monroe

Hayward

2011:

Barnes

Irving

Kanter

Derrick Williams

Sullinger

Perry Jones

Motiejunas

Vesely

Terrance Jones

Wall is clearly the best player from either class coming out, but from there I think you would be hard pressed to say the 2010 class has more long-term potential than the 2011 class if many of these freshman come out. Others like Kemba Walker, Alec Burks, Tristan Thompson, Jordan Hamilton, Brandon Knight etc could easily be on the list. They will be long-time NBA players.

I think the main gripe is that you only have one legit PG and one legit C prospect that seem to be future all-stars in Irving, and Kanter. However, the 2,3, and 4 positions seem to be well stocked. I haven't seen the foreign guys play, but it seems Jonas Valanciunas would be a legit center if he came out as well.

We strongly strongly disagree then. 7 of the 10 in last year's class have all-star potential. 5 of them have superstar potential.

This year's class, Irving IMHO is the only one who looks like he can be a perennial all-star, but I don't see him as a superstar. Barnes I don't think is that stud guy people made him out to be, just like with a lot of recent UNC recruits. We don't know much about Kanter. The rest on that list are meh, and yes, that includes Sullinger who I think will be a 17/9 player at max potential.