Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 05:36 PM)
You shall not take his name in vain. For as useless as he was in the NBA, the level of dominance he displayed in Ames was sickening.

Unfortunately for the Bulls I think his amazing tourney jumped him at least 10 spots in the draft.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 06:38 PM)
We strongly strongly disagree then. 7 of the 10 in last year's class have all-star potential. 5 of them have superstar potential.

I want what you got because I don't see 7 all stars in that list. I don't see 4 in that list.

And the only possible scenario that could keep Illinois out of the tourney might be happening. Lose today, MSU beat Purdue so MSU, Illinois and Michigan are all close (and I think all 3 get in). PSU currently housing Wisconsin (albeit a lot of time left). IF PSU was to win today and tomorrow it is possible that Illinois is the Big 10 team that gets left out (although any of those 4 could get left out or all 4 could get in).

I can't believe you guys went this long without mentioning Carlos Boozer as a comparison for Sullinger (Brand had better length and way more blocked shots). As long as he doesn't eat his way out of the league like Sweetney and May, I think that's about the best comparison: a guy that can't really protect the rim, but he has a good scoring touch down low and will get his fair share of rebounds.

From what I have seen from the Illini this year, it might almost be better for them to somehow miss the tournament. That team needs some kind of shake up. There were like 4-5 games I watched this year where it was close at the end and they blew every single one of them, and I don't watch a lot of college basketball, so I'm sure there were more of them too. If they make it, what are they gonna do, blow it in the 1st or 2nd round? You pretty much have to move on from Weber at this point.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 08:18 PM)
And the only possible scenario that could keep Illinois out of the tourney might be happening. Lose today, MSU beat Purdue so MSU, Illinois and Michigan are all close (and I think all 3 get in). PSU currently housing Wisconsin (albeit a lot of time left). IF PSU was to win today and tomorrow it is possible that Illinois is the Big 10 team that gets left out (although any of those 4 could get left out or all 4 could get in).

And the A-10 might be taking a bubble spot away.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 09:36 PM)
Something special going on in Las Vegas. Jimmer is going bonkers. 24 points with 5 min left in 1st half, and hitting insane shot after insane shot.

Perhaps he's "broken the honor code."

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 06:38 PM)
We strongly strongly disagree then. 7 of the 10 in last year's class have all-star potential. 5 of them have superstar potential.

This year's class, Irving IMHO is the only one who looks like he can be a perennial all-star, but I don't see him as a superstar. Barnes I don't think is that stud guy people made him out to be, just like with a lot of recent UNC recruits. We don't know much about Kanter. The rest on that list are meh, and yes, that includes Sullinger who I think will be a 17/9 player at max potential.

I'd take the middle ground between your respective views, leaning slightly toward nite (keep in mind that so far 2010 doesn't look nearly as strong as the previous 3 or 4 drafts thus far, which is somewhat expected given it's still early).

On the 2010 side:

-I would say Wall and Cousins are both far better than anyone in the 2011 class (though the latter is a nutjob, which clearly hurts his stock).

-Monroe already looks like a pretty solid big man.

-Aminu and Johnson both look like more viable NBA players than Jones right now because they have more SF skills.

-It's not a good sign for the 2011 class when a 6'7" 'tweener (Williams) and a 6'9" PF that doesn't have explosive athleticism are projected in the top-5.

-It's also not a good sign for 2011 when there are two true PG (Irving and Walker, the latter being more of a scoring PG in college) and no sure-fire centers (Kanter is the only one that looks like a center based on listed size and weights).

On the 2011 side:

-The Euro guys are a HUGE wildcard that none of us know a ton about. This is especially true with Kanter, who I think probably would be slotted 1st or 2nd if he had been eligible.

-You could make a good argument that Jones is about a push with Favors and that Barnes is about as good as Turner (Turner was WAY more productive but Barnes probably has more upside).

Like most classes, you'll probably get 3 all-star/fringe all-star types and 5 or so decent starters/good role players. The problem is good luck figuring out which guys those are.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 09:45 PM)
Wow, ND looks better every new game than they did the game before.

The tough thing with them is that I think they can lose to just about anybody if they have a bad shooting game. It's hard to rely on shooters so much.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 09:27 PM)
CBS College Sports (613 on dish)

This Penn St/Wisconsin game is painful

Most on the board won't like this, but it's painful for me to watch 90% of the Big 10 games. However, Wisconsin takes the cake for unwatchable basketball for me.

Then again the ACC has been awful this year as well.

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Mar 11, 2011 -> 11:02 PM)
Most on the board won't like this, but it's painful for me to watch 90% of the Big 10 games. However, Wisconsin takes the cake for unwatchable basketball for me.

Then again the ACC has been awful this year as well.

I had Wisconsin -5.5 in the 2H. If you would have told me all they had to do was score 38 points for me to win my bet I would have wagered my life. Wisconsin can eat a dick for all I care.

The Big East tournament is by far the most entertaining.

I also think ND didnt cross the mid court within 10 seconds on the final possession. Could have sworn they got the ball at 27 seconds and crossed at 16

2 open items on that ending:

1.) Delaney stepped out of bounds on the game winning pass, no call.

2.) On the game winning shot, the clock should have been at 5 seconds (4.9 at the latest), not 4.7. That would have been the difference between the L and the W.

Not really a surprise with an ACC crew. I love how they call moving screens on us all night but not one on Va Tech. Oh well, I'd rather be a 10 or 11 seed than 8 or 9.