Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 01:28 PM)
Texas Tech is set to hire Billy Gillispie. I'm very excited. He has done a tremendous job in Texas coaching.

Texas can have him. Kentucky is glad he's gone.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 09:00 PM)
I love Barkley just hammering the Big East this whole tourney. The Big East has been absolute crap in the tourney compared to their seeds since the Big East expanded.

Almost love it as much as Pitino sitting there trying to defend it and he has nothing.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 01:28 PM)
Texas Tech is set to hire Billy Gillispie. I'm very excited. He has done a tremendous job in Texas coaching.

The bar owners in Lubbock are celebrating!

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 09:00 PM)
I love Barkley just hammering the Big East this whole tourney. The Big East has been absolute crap in the tourney compared to their seeds since the Big East expanded.

His exchanges with Pitino were absolutely legendary.

I also enjoyed when Pitino used the Marquette upset as proof as to how tough and deep the Big East is. Barkley just starts yelling that he's wrong, it actually just showed how overrated and overseeded the top Big East teams were. Then he kept saying "Big East should only have 8 teams in! 8 teams!"

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 02:11 PM)
I also enjoyed when Pitino used the Marquette upset as proof as to how tough and deep the Big East is. Barkley just starts yelling that he's wrong, it actually just showed how overrated and overseeded the top Big East teams were. Then he kept saying "Big East should only have 8 teams in! 8 teams!"

That just shows how stupid Barkley is though. Based on seedings the last Big East teams in were Marquette (11), Villanova (9), Cincy/GTown/St Johns (6). What three teams deserved it more than either of them? Only Colorado has any semblance of an argument there.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 12:11 PM)
So of the over 5.9 million brackets filled out on ESPN, only one bracket has 15 of the 16 sweet sixteen teams left (none have 16). Wow.

I got a whole 8 of the 16 right but I still have 6 of my elite 8 and all 4 of my ff so I'm just as alive as anyone.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 01:11 PM)
So of the over 5.9 million brackets filled out on ESPN, only one bracket has 15 of the 16 sweet sixteen teams left (none have 16). Wow.

I'm actually not surprised by this. College basketball is terrible this year (tourney has been fun, the teams just aren't good) and it was always going to be a crazy tourney with a ton of surprising runs.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 02:37 PM)
No surprise here, but Tennessee has fired Bruce Pearl. I wish them luck in finding a new coach considering hefty sanctions are headed their way.

I wouldn't be so sure. A lot of the thinking around here is that the penalties will be reduced b/c we got rid of Pearl. Loss of a couple scholarships over the next few years and maybe a year postseason ban or something. I can live with that. The main violation was Pearl lying to the NCAA. What he lied about was a secondary violation. Now that Pearl is gone, I don't think the secondary violation he committed is going to result in "hefty" sanctions.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 05:05 PM)
I wouldn't be so sure. A lot of the thinking around here is that the penalties will be reduced b/c we got rid of Pearl. Loss of a couple scholarships over the next few years and maybe a year postseason ban or something. I can live with that. The main violation was Pearl lying to the NCAA. What he lied about was a secondary violation. Now that Pearl is gone, I don't think the secondary violation he committed is going to result in "hefty" sanctions.

Someone will take the job. It is a great opportunity to get into the SEC at a close to top tier school, with the built in excuse of sanctions if there isn't instant success. At worst someone from a mid-major will jump at the job in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 04:05 PM)

Firing Pearl will probably reduce whatever sanctions they get. But they could still get hefty ones from the NCAA, although you could also be right. It's hard to predict what the NCAA will do, which is part of why Pearl is gone in the first place.

Also, looks like Mike Anderson played the system perfectly. Let the information get out that you may leave for Arkansas, freak out your current school who likes you in Mizzou, get more years and more paper on your deal at said school. http://www.stltoday.com/sports/article_285...127992bc8b.html

Edited by whitesoxfan101

With all the Pearl news on today, I was actually surprised to learn he didnt have all that much success at Tenn, only one elite eight appearance and 2 sweet sixteen births? For some reason I thought he advanced more times than that.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 06:16 PM)
With all the Pearl news on today, I was actually surprised to learn he didnt have all that much success at Tenn, only one elite eight appearance and 2 sweet sixteen births? For some reason I thought he advanced more times than that.

For a basketball program like Tennessee, that's awesome. That Elite 8 appearance was the first in school history. He took us to a #1 ranking two years ago (though it was short-lived). If you average a Sweet 16 every 3 seasons at UT, you're doing well... Actually, I'd venture a guess that a lot of programs would be happy with the results Pearl got at Tennessee. In the last 6 seasons, how many schools have been to two Sweet 16's and an Elite 8? Probably no more than 20. That leaves 300+ other D1 programs that didn't accomplish that.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 05:37 PM)
Also, looks like Mike Anderson played the system perfectly. Let the information get out that you may leave for Arkansas, freak out your current school who likes you in Mizzou, get more years and more paper on your deal at said school. http://www.stltoday.com/sports/article_285...127992bc8b.html

Mizzou is stupid for this extension. He was never going to go to Arkansas. Rumors should at least make sense before people start to believe them. The thing that pisses me off is that he got an extension last year and his team underachieved this year. I mean, it's the game you play, but it's BS.