Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 07:24 PM)
I wouldn't even say cleaning up, I'd say dominating. Knight didn't even lock down the state like Crean has.

Knight was never much of a recruiter. Routinely the top talent went else where, especially as the years got on.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 12:01 PM)
I think that sounds like a good kid to me, not an idiot.

Yeah, but you also thought that Tressel was going to get a slap on the wrist and what he did was no big deal. ;)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 07:24 PM)
If there was a guarantee that NBA basketball would happen next year...Coach K to the Lakers might be a possibility, but he's not leaving Duke only to have a lockout happen.

Coach K will never leave Duke until he's the all-time leader in wins. He's very similar to his mentor Bob Knight. Knight only coached his last year and a half at Texas Tech to get to 900 wins and then quit mid-season. Every year the Lakers offer Roy Williams the job, and he quietly turns it down. Then they offer it to K, and he make sure the media knows about it each year when he turns it down. Funny stuff.

Bob Knight and K are the same person, except that Bob doesn't care what anyone thinks. Coach K tries to hide his personality behind a charade of being a "leader of men".

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 01:08 PM)
Locking down the state hasn't even earned him an NIT bid yet.

Because the kids he's locked up havn't arrived yet. They start next year with Zeller and Etherington, then 2012 the #1 class in the country arrives. Not fair to Crean to judge him quite yet.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 06:39 PM)
None of those schools sans maybe Indiana and UCLA need him.

I'd consider Tennessee if I was him - depending on the NCAA stuff.

Tennessee is more radioactive than Japan right now.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 11:16 AM)
Because the kids he's locked up havn't arrived yet. They start next year with Zeller and Etherington, then 2012 the #1 class in the country arrives. Not fair to Crean to judge him quite yet.

I know. Also not fair to say he's dominating like no one else has until the kids actually step foot on the court and win a game or two.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 05:34 PM)
In my opinion, the only schools that Stevens will touch are:

Indiana

Ohio State

Michigan State

Duke

UNC

Kansas

UCLA

I concur. If he didn't leave last year, there is no way he jumps for some mid-level BCS job like Missouri or Tennessee. I only see him leaving for a top-flight job like the ones you mentioned. He's also so young, he still has plenty of time to wait for the right job for him.l

That being said, once VCU's season ends, I see their coach grabbing one of those BCS jobs within the next 48 hours.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 01:33 PM)
I know. Also not fair to say he's dominating like no one else has until the kids actually step foot on the court and win a game or two.

From a ranking perspective (which is all we have to go on at this point), he really has though. It would be one thing if I haven't seen a lot of these kids play, but I have, and 2012 possesses some serious talent. It's one of the best classes the state has ever produced, and thats saying something. Couple that with IU haven't to go up against OSU, PU, ILL, and MSU for this talent when they have had the worst three year stretch in their history, its pretty miraculous what Crean has been able to do. Crean will definitely have his chance to make some noise soon, and if he doesn't, the keys to a cupboard full of 4 and 5 star players are handed to Brad Stevens. I don't think anyone in the country, let alone the bigten would want that to happen.

That said, its good to see Illinois, Ohio State, Michigan State, and Indiana continue to pull in top talent. That should put those teams in position to carry the bigten, because when Purdue and Wisconsin are the class of the bigten, we're always going to disappoint in March.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 12:16 PM)

That is the other reason I think Crean has years still to go at IU. Why would you want to chance having these kids go somewhere else?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)
I don't think I've ever wanted a group to fail more than Indiana's 2012 class. The program is such a joke right now that the fanbase is drooling over high school juniors. Give me a break IU.

Crean should be thankful. If the fanbase wasn't swooning over 16 year olds, they'd actually realize he should be on the hot seat.

Cuonzo Martin to Tennessee... Another Gene Keady disciple at a big time program. Let's hope he turns out more like Keady than the rest of that coaching tree.

I'm okay with this. It's always the kind of hire I expected to make. I had heard really good things about him earlier this season before I knew we'd be in need of a coach and was impressed. We'll see how he does at a big-time program, though.

Edited by dasox24

Missouri has apparently contacted Painter. This would be a shock hire. One that I'm not even sure I'd like. Still probably not likely. If Martin believed the Purdue job would open he probably would have waited for that. I'm holding out hope for Shaka.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 06:52 PM)
Missouri has apparently contacted Painter. This would be a shock hire. One that I'm not even sure I'd like. Still probably not likely. If Martin believed the Purdue job would open he probably would have waited for that. I'm holding out hope for Shaka.

Is Painter from Missouri?? Otherwise I don't see how that would be considered an upgrade for him.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 05:52 PM)

With the way Painter has recruited at Purdue the last few years, and losing Johnson and Moore.....I wouldn't be shocked at all if he got out while the getting is still good.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 06:57 PM)
With the way Painter has recruited at Purdue the last few years, and losing Johnson and Moore.....I wouldn't be shocked at all if he got out while the getting is still good.

That's the only thing I can see. He has no connections to Missouri. It doesn't make sense on his end unless Mizzou is offering a significant raise (and you have to assume they are otherwise why bother).

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 05:41 PM)
I don't think I've ever wanted a group to fail more than Indiana's 2012 class. The program is such a joke right now that the fanbase is drooling over high school juniors. Give me a break IU.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 07:20 PM)
Crean should be thankful. If the fanbase wasn't swooning over 16 year olds, they'd actually realize he should be on the hot seat.

Haters :P ... We smell your fear!

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 06:28 PM)
Haters :P ... We smell your fear!

I just want to know when mighty Indiana basketball was reduced to waiting for high school juniors to arrive, and began giving coaches 4, 5, 6 years to prove their worth. I know Kelvin Sampson left a mess, but Crean is taking an awfully long time to "fix" it. I still want to see him doing something of relevance without Dwyane Wade.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 07:30 PM)
I just want to know when mighty Indiana basketball was reduced to waiting for high school juniors to arrive, and began giving coaches 4, 5, 6 years to prove their worth. I know Kelvin Sampson left a mess, but Crean is taking an awfully long time to "fix" it. I still want to see him doing something of relevance without Dwyane Wade.

Again, unless you are a cheating piece of s***, it is impossible to rebuild a program from zero scholarship players to a Big Ten contender overnight. It has to happen a part at a time.