Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 03:19 PM)
Chimpy, WTF has gotten into Chris Singleton?

I don't know man, but he has been on fire the last two games. He's always been a great defensive player, but the offense looks like it is coming around too (although now I fear he will just start jacking up 3's like he did last year). He nearly finished perfect last night (missed a FG at 1:49 left in the game) scoring a career high 30. I know he said that his goal is to be ACC POY and while the last two games have been against scrub teams, if he keeps it up, he'll have a good case.

Edited by chimpy2121

Virginia @ MINN: Minnesota

Iowa @ WF: Wake

GT @ NW: Northwestern

OSU @ FSU: OSU

Michigan @ Clemson: Clemson

UNC @ Illinois: UNC

Indiana @ BC: Boston College

NC State @ Wisconsin: Wisconsin

Purdue @ Va Tech: Va Tech

Maryland @ Penn State: Maryland

MSU @ Duke: Duke

Big Ten is overrated as usual.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 12:24 PM)
Preseason NIT it looking pitiful. Villanova, UCLA, Tennessee, and Wake were the 1, 2, 3, and 4 seeds respectively.

Wake got blown out in their regional final to 5 seed VCU, who advanced to New York. UT struggled a ton with Belmont in the regional semi. I'm guessing they should fall to 6 seed Missouri State before New York. ESPN probably wants to kill someone if that happens.

Belmont is usually a solid mid-major and makes the tournament often, so I'm not too disappointed with the game. That also was also a horribly refereed game, and according to a website that ranks referees, 2 of the 3 that did the game rank as the worst in the NCAA (don't have the website on-hand but saw it linked in a Tweet this morning). I have a feeling we'll take care of business tonight.

Oh, and Tobias Harris is going to be really good.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 04:00 PM)
Virginia @ MINN: Minnesota

Iowa @ WF: Wake

GT @ NW: Northwestern

OSU @ FSU: OSU

Michigan @ Clemson: Clemson

UNC @ Illinois: UNC

Indiana @ BC: Boston College

NC State @ Wisconsin: Wisconsin

Purdue @ Va Tech: Va Tech

Maryland @ Penn State: Maryland

MSU @ Duke: Duke

Big Ten is overrated as usual.

When has the Big 10 been overrated recently?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 05:37 PM)
When has the Big 10 been overrated recently?

I'm guessing that he's referring to the second tier Big Ten teams like Minn and IL being accorded more respect than mid-majors (and sometimes making the tournament) just because they are in a "power" conference. Maybe? Because I agree with you, I don't think the national media has said much good about the Big Ten recently until this year.

Nope, I feel like every year people believe the Big Ten is the best conference when year in and year out the ACC and Big East are always stronger top to bottom. MSU is a top notch program but every other program in the Big Ten is very inconsistent. It's probably a product of living in the midwest around Big Ten fans.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 10:22 PM)
Nope, I feel like every year people believe the Big Ten is the best conference when year in and year out the ACC and Big East are always stronger top to bottom. MSU is a top notch program but every other program in the Big Ten is very inconsistent. It's probably a product of living in the midwest around Big Ten fans.

The national media before the last two years has done nothing but talk about how the Big 10 is down and all the hype is given to the Big East and the ACC>

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 09:48 PM)
Little brother syndrome.

This has nothing to do with it. It's about fans of Big Ten teams thinking they are superior when they are on about the same level if not lower than the Big 12.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 08:37 PM)
I have a feeling Drake is going to beat Iowa State tonight...NOT!

Not only is Hoiberg going to be a great coach, but Lutz was the perfect hire as his assistant.

Feels great to completely s***pound a Valley team for the first time in a long time. Final was Iowa State 91, Drake 43 and it wasn't that close. It was 77-28 at one point.

Iowa State could be real dangerous next year with Royce White, Chris Allen, Anthony Booker, Chris Babb and Scott Christopherson.

And yes, Lutz was a major coup.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 11:04 PM)
I like MSU and OSU. Don't see Purdue or UIUC living up to the hype.

Completely disagree about U of I, that team is seriously talented and they got a great chance to make a deep run this year. And even with out Hummel, Purdue was able to make it to the s16 last season(Kramer is a big loss though) so lets not count them out just yet and you forgot to mention Wisconsin who as usual seems to be completely overlooked by everyone. And obviously OSU and MSU are legit National Title contenders. The big 10 is not overrated this season.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 11:06 PM)
Feels great to completely s***pound a Valley team for the first time in a long time. Final was Iowa State 91, Drake 43 and it wasn't that close. It was 77-28 at one point.

Iowa State could be real dangerous next year with Royce White, Chris Allen, Anthony Booker, Chris Babb and Scott Christopherson.

And yes, Lutz was a major coup.

The Valley sucks this season. WSU can play with the majority of the teams in the country but after that you have Missouri State who is solid but not spectacular and then you have pretty much garbage and the bottom half of the league is about as bad as I can ever remember it. It's awful.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 10:23 PM)
Completely disagree about U of I, that team is seriously talented and they got a great chance to make a deep run this year. And even with out Hummel, Purdue was able to make it to the s16 last season(Kramer is a big loss though) so lets not count them out just yet and you forgot to mention Wisconsin who as usual seems to be completely overlooked by everyone. And obviously OSU and MSU are legit National Title contenders. The big 10 is not overrated this season.

The Valley sucks this season. WSU can play with the majority of the teams in the country but after that you have Missouri State who is solid but not spectacular and then you have pretty much garbage and the bottom half of the league is about as bad as I can ever remember it. It's awful.

I'll admit I'm wrong but I've seen enough U of I teams under Weber underperform to never take them too seriously. Yes, the MVC is just really bad this year. Just hoping my birds stay out of the thursday games in st. louis because it won't be as much fun if they don't make it to friday.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 10:27 PM)
I'll admit I'm wrong but I've seen enough U of I teams under Weber underperform to never take them too seriously. Yes, the MVC is just really bad this year. Just hoping my birds stay out of the thursday games in st. louis because it won't be as much fun if they don't make it to friday.

At least those games will be televised this year so I can watch SIU when we're in it. It was awful enough being in that game to begin with but having to listen to it through a computer stream was pretty brutal, not to mention losing on a buzzer beater.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 10:23 PM)

Under McDermott, we win that game 64-44.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 10:36 PM)
Under McDermott, we win that game 64-44.

Heh, fair enough(once again, you were right about him, I was wrong), wasn't trying to take anything away from the Clones, just stating how absolutely horrid the Valley is this season.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 03:41 PM)
I dont see a problem with a 6-6 finish. Its not like there is any award for the conference who wins.

I agree.

Plus there are OOC games not during the ACC/B10 challenge week between the conferences that have nothing to do with the record. So going 6-6 is not a big deal at all.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 11:27 PM)

That simply isn't true. Weber has had one team underperform at Illinois and that was last year. They were a 5 seed two years ago with Meacham and Frazier starting. His first 3 years at Illinois he had top 5 seeds as well. When he has talent he has won big. Illinois lack of results the last few years is directly related to poor recruiting which has now been rectified.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 09:22 PM)

OSU has made the tourney 4 out of the last 5 years and 7 out of the last 10. Until last year, Illinois had been going into the tourney pretty consistently since 93. Wisconsin hasnt missed the tournament since 1998. Thats even better than the tarheels.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 17, 2010 -> 10:38 PM)
Heh, fair enough(once again, you were right about him, I was wrong), wasn't trying to take anything away from the Clones, just stating how absolutely horrid the Valley is this season.

Drake looks real bad.