Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 12:21 AM)
Yep, but the one thing that would have me somewhat concerned if I was an MSU fan is that this team is made up of basically all JRs and SRs. They shouldn't be struggling like this right now.

They're averaging 18 TO's a game to boot.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 7, 2010 -> 11:20 PM)
Oh I'm aware of their tendencies, doesn't mean it's guaranteed to happen every year. And that's part of my problem with all the MSU fans I have to deal with daily. I respect Izzo, but after that I can't stand anything about that school and it's fans. They make it seems like it's ok to lose games all the time. If I had a $1 for every time I heard "They'll be fine in March" I'd be a thousandaire.

The thing is, they've made 6 Final Fours in the last 12 years. That's as close to a lock as it gets. The statement "They'll be fine in March" is usually right.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 08:12 PM)
Glad Duke, Kentucky, Kansas and MSU all agreed to meet each other for the next couple of years.

MSU is overrated every year, but they end up winning the big ten, and do good in March which is all that matters, right? Either way, I really don't like MSU this year at all.

I think saying MSU was overrated coming into this season is a stretch. They were coming off back-to-back Final Fours returning Lucas (former B10 player of the year), Green, Lucious, Roe and Summers. Not to mention incoming freshmen in Appling (McDonald's All-American) and Payne (a highly thought of recruit).

Chris Allen is a big loss (transfered to Iowa State amid rumors of an incident with Summers as well as sleeping with teammate(s) gfs). He was their best defender and shooter.

While the six final fours are great, saying wait until March can blow too. I remember a Davis, Brown, Ager and Tolbert team that lost to Kirk Snyder and Nevada my freshman year then the team that lost to George Mason my junior year. Two first round tourny exits as well as a second round loss to Memphis (never happen now thanks to DRose haha) mixed in.

This year just feels different. Izzo is used to having strong leadership on his teams however their best player isn't a leader (Lucas) nor is their second best player (Summers). Green is but he has to get that "point forward" crap out of his head when he has two terrific point guards. You can make a case Lucious is a leader (lead them to the FF last year) but he's still a backup on this team. There seem to be a lot of issues and this team could easily blow up on Izzo.

Go Green!

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 08:33 PM)
I guess they played the first 7:22 of the Illinois/Oakland game with a womans basketball. Still not an excuse to be down double digits to Oakland, but at least they are leading now.

????? No one noticed?

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:08 PM)
????? No one noticed?

Illinois players were complaining about the ball but for some reason the refs didn't listen. Illinois was down 15-4 before the ball switch. Oakland probably wishes they would have never switched the ball.

From the Illinois rivals board: McCamey told the official after his first shot that there was something wrong with the ball. The ref told him to keep playing, until Richmond and Tisdale, as well as 3 Oakland guys said something. Amazing.

That is simply inexcusable by the refs and not surprisingly Sanzere was involved. That guy is an absolute joke of a ref.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:39 PM)
I think you can give Illinois a break for being down when using the wrong ball.

Thats just messed up.

I wasn't thrilled with the performance tonight but I don't think people realize how much that would mess with a players rhythm. The women's ball is pretty significantly smaller and Illinois was never able to get in a rhythm in the first half. They then went out and scored 50 in the 2nd half playing with the proper ball.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:41 PM)
I wasn't thrilled with the performance tonight but I don't think people realize how much that would mess with a players rhythm. The women's ball is pretty significantly smaller and Illinois was never able to get in a rhythm in the first half. They then went out and scored 50 in the 2nd half playing with the proper ball.

The difference in balls(hehe) makes a HUGE difference. That's absurd that none of the officials noticed that.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:02 PM)
The difference in balls(hehe) makes a HUGE difference. That's absurd that none of the officials noticed that.

Yeah, I'm almost having a hard time believing the refs didn't notice. They must have held the ball at some point.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 8, 2010 -> 10:02 PM)

It's more ridiculous that when told about it, they didn't believe it. I mean I'm pretty sure players don't say those things to refs very often, trying to be funny or something or explaining their poor shooting. Guys who play with that basketball every single day of the week can notice a difference in a second, not sure why you would not check it out. So weird all around.

I'm now trying to imagine a Sox game using a little league ball, or a rubber coated one.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 09:37 AM)
Mizzou and Vandy last night had a GREAT game. I honestly don't remember a time where a lead was built up over 3 points.

Mizzou is really overrated. They're struggling against good, but not great teams and blew that Georgetown game. They might have the worst perimeter d in the country.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 06:29 PM)
Mizzou is really overrated. They're struggling against good, but not great teams and blew that Georgetown game. They might have the worst perimeter d in the country.

After what Illinois did against Gonzaga, then thats a good sign for the Bragging Rights game. That being said, Illinois hasn't been able to beat a press for the last 3-4 years, so the 40 minutes of hell could give them a problem. Either way, it is good to see both Illinois & Mizzou relevant for their matchup.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 08:21 PM)
After what Illinois did against Gonzaga, then thats a good sign for the Bragging Rights game. That being said, Illinois hasn't been able to beat a press for the last 3-4 years, so the 40 minutes of hell could give them a problem. Either way, it is good to see both Illinois & Mizzou relevant for their matchup.

Considering they shredded the press 2 years ago that is simply false. They were awful against Mizzou last year but that is an outlier.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 07:28 PM)
Considering they shredded the press 2 years ago that is simply false. They were awful against Mizzou last year but that is an outlier.

Now that you mention that, yeah they did handle Mizzou's press before. But when they face other teams it seems like everytime they get pressed, it's nothing but trouble. Late in the game against UNC, they had the same issues.

Edited by LittleHurt05

So I have a serious question for the MVC fans on the board. What is the reason that the MVC is so bad this year and why it has been on a decline the last few years (UNI last year notwithstanding)? Generally I assume it isn't recruiting in a mid major like it was for the Big 10 when the Big 10 was down so is it coaching turnover and bad hires?

Edited by whitesoxfan99