Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 07:44 PM)
So I have a serious question for the MVC fans on the board. What is the reason that the MVC is so bad this year and why it has been on a decline the last few years (UNI last year notwithstanding)? Generally I assume it isn't recruiting in a mid major like it was for the Big 10 when the Big 10 was down so is it coaching turnover and bad hires?

Well, Lowery has destroyed our program all by himself. Dana Altman left Creighton and he was the best coach in our league for years, and SIU and Creighton pretty much made the conference what it became so having those two programs not in the spotlight has to be hurting a bit. UNI and IlSU lost key players from good teams so they're both rebuilding a bit, and Bradley is just banged up this season. Drake, Evansville and Indiana State are just doing what they normally do, which is being awful.

It'll be interesting to see where the conference goes from here because three years ago it was so much fun to watch and be apart of.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 07:44 PM)
So I have a serious question for the MVC fans on the board. What is the reason that the MVC is so bad this year and why it has been on a decline the last few years (UNI last year notwithstanding)? Generally I assume it isn't recruiting in a mid major like it was for the Big 10 when the Big 10 was down so is it coaching turnover and bad hires?

Yeah, It just seems that this is a rebuilding year for the conference more than anything. The last couple years weren't really in decline if you ask me. WSU last year was a damn good team and probably should have made the tournament. The reason they haven't been getting multiple bids has nothing to do with the quality of the teams. Mid Major bids have gone down drastically the last few years for no apparent reason.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 01:29 AM)
Mizzou is really overrated. They're struggling against good, but not great teams and blew that Georgetown game. They might have the worst perimeter d in the country.

i think you are wrong.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 9, 2010 -> 07:28 PM)
Considering they shredded the press 2 years ago that is simply false. They were awful against Mizzou last year but that is an outlier.

Mizzou has only been good for 2 years under Anderson. That's 1-1. How do you know which is the outlier?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 10, 2010 -> 04:03 PM)
Mizzou has only been good for 2 years under Anderson. That's 1-1. How do you know which is the outlier?

I'm just taking about Illinois against the press not Illinois against Mizzou. Illinois has also faced Clemson who presses a lot twice and hasn't had issues against them.

Dear God, Iowa is an AWFUL second half team.

I loooooove Scott Christopherson. Drops 30, 24 in the second half. Bet Tom Crean would have liked him to follow to Indiana.

Big road win for Iowa State, I know Iowa is awful, but a big win for a team so young.

Jay Bilas just reinforced why he has become one of my favorite basketball analysts (and I used to dislike him years ago). Only member of the national media who has given any sort of backing for Bruce Pearl. Thanks, Jay. Maybe everyone else will realize he didn't f***ing kill someone. Firing is not in order for lying but then coming back and admitting to it before it got out of hand.

Damn, that was a complete blowout by Tennessee. f*** all the Tennessee haters (including that writer who didn't even have us in his AP Top 25 poll this week). We just went into Pitt (which has lost 1 non-conference home game in like the last 8 years or something ridiculous like that) and completely dominated from start to finish. The final score (7 point lead) was the closest Pitt got in the entire 2nd half.

UT has now beaten the top 2 Big East teams in Pitt and Villanova, and we've done it handily.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 04:08 PM)
Jay Bilas just reinforced why he has become one of my favorite basketball analysts (and I used to dislike him years ago). Only member of the national media who has given any sort of backing for Bruce Pearl. Thanks, Jay. Maybe everyone else will realize he didn't f***ing kill someone. Firing is not in order for lying but then coming back and admitting to it before it got out of hand.

In most places, it actually is.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 05:20 PM)
THIS IS TENNESSEE!

NORMAL WORKPLACE RULES DON'T APPLY!

Cheating and breaking the rules is the norm at Tennessee right?

You're off your rocker if you think Pearl somehow is getting it worse than he deserves. He WILLFULLY broke rules. He LIED to the governing body of his chosen career path.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 06:25 PM)
Cheating and breaking the rules is the norm at Tennessee right?

You're off your rocker if you think Pearl somehow is getting it worse than he deserves. He WILLFULLY broke rules. He LIED to the governing body of his chosen career path.

When did I say he's getting it worse than he deserves? No really, tell me when I said that.

I said he shouldn't be fired like some people have suggested. I agree that he has to serve his penalty. He broke the rules. I've never denied that. But I will never say it was something he should be fired for.

Edit: I'm assuming here that even though you quoted nightni, you must have known his post was sarcastic, and therefore, are directing that 2nd comment at me.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 06:27 PM)
I know I'm off my rocker, but the caps were a version of green text (sarcasm). I was poking fun at dasox a little. ;)

I found it funny.

"Ah yall, we're so backwoods down here in the holler that we don't follow rules. Heck, we marry our cousins"