Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 04:46 PM)
I'd love to watch a mid-level High School boys team wipe the floor with UConn's women's team.

You can't be serious.

I mean, I didn't go to UConn, I went to Iowa State, and even there... I played pickup games with some of the girls on the team. They are impressively good. There is no chance a mid-level high school boys team "wipes the floor" with them.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 07:16 PM)
You can't be serious.

I mean, I didn't go to UConn, I went to Iowa State, and even there... I played pickup games with some of the girls on the team. They are impressively good. There is no chance a mid-level high school boys team "wipes the floor" with them.

I'd say it would be a good game.

An average to above (team does to district finals) High School boys team would have at least 2 or 3 guys over 6'6" and at least 3 long range shooters. Plus, their upper bodies would be more muscularily developed overall than a college woman's.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 06:24 PM)
I'd say it would be a good game.

An average to above (team does to district finals) High School boys team would have at least 2 or 3 guys over 6'6" and at least 3 long range shooters. Plus, their upper bodies would be more muscularily developed overall than a college woman's.

How much basketball have you played with or against men OR women at the college level? How much time have you spent watching women's college B-Ball at the D1 level, in person?

And I see you moved the goal posts. Mid-level team is now a district final team.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 06:28 PM)
How much basketball have you played with or against men OR women at the college level? How much time have you spent watching women's college B-Ball at the D1 level, in person?

And I see you moved the goal posts. Mid-level team is now a district final team.

When I was at the U of Iowa, they had really good women's teams. C Vivian Stringer was the coach and I think they played in the finals at least once, and were always ranked high. Some of them would come to the Fieldhouse to play pick up games, and the guys I played with, I'd would imagine we would have made up a pretty good high school team, although we had no plays, and we didn't practice together etc. beat them pretty easily. Face it, its a big deal if there's a girl 6'5" who could dunk. There's a lot of guys playing college intramurals who played on average high school teams who could do that.

I don't want to take anything away from UConn's accomplishment. It is pretty incredible, but probably at least 95% if not more of Division 1 women's players wouldn't make their high school's All Conference squad if they played on the boys team.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 06:28 PM)

I used to be friends with a couple of the girls in the Lewis University team back in the late 90's. I was not a particularly great basketball player (never played HS or college), but I am an above average player. I was the best player on the court, simply because of my strength and athleticism.

Now I'm not comparing the Lewis University's team to UConn's, by any means.

I think a top ten HS team in any state would probably beat UConn's women's team pretty solidly though. Guys at that age are simply too athletic, too strong, and even then, good enough shooters where I think the UConn's women's team would be very hard pressed both to stop them and hard pressed to score. Obviously it depends on size down low, but I just think they would get outmuscled, outshot, and could not compete because of the difference in athleticism.

However, women's basketball has come a long, long way in the last 15-20 years. I think we'll reach a point sometime in the next 15-20 years where we will not be able to argue this.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 07:28 PM)

A midlevel team is 14-16 games won. They aren't top 25 in their school ranking or in the state or regional finals. I'm talking about a team that makes the playoffs and plays in the districts. None of those kids will attend division I schools on a basketball scholarship.

I went to an NAIA division II school with a very good men's team and they would have beaten UConn Women easily. Of course these guys won either the NAIA or NCCAA championship every year that I was there...

I have watched women's division I on TV and I find it lacking in athletic skill comparitively to the men's game enough that I will not watch it very often.

Me personally, I was never more than a gym player in my "prime"; but, I outplayed every former high school or low level college girl - with my minimal skills - that I ever played in the gym.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 06:42 PM)
When I was at the U of Iowa, they had really good women's teams. C Vivian Stringer was the coach and I think they played in the finals at least once, and were always ranked high. Some of them would come to the Fieldhouse to play pick up games, and the guys I played with, I'd would imagine we would have made up a pretty good high school team, although we had no plays, and we didn't practice together etc. beat them pretty easily. Face it, its a big deal if there's a girl 6'5" who could dunk. There's a lot of guys playing college intramurals who played on average high school teams who could do that.

I don't want to take anything away from UConn's accomplishment. It is pretty incredible, but probably at least 95% if not more of Division 1 women's players wouldn't make their high school's All Conference squad if they played on the boys team.

To that end, UConn's women would be above that 95%.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 01:16 AM)
I'm telling you right now that Whitney Young would beat the UCONN womens team.

Well duh. By 30 if there was a shot clock...

WY usually goes 8 or 9 deep with D1 talent. I'm sure it's no different this year. That game would not even be a game.

Just for reference, their 09 team had:

Anthony Johnson- Purdue

Chris Colvin- Iowa State

Marcus Jordan- Central Florida

Sam Thompson- Ohio State

Stanford Brown- Lamar

Ahmad Starks- Oregon State

JR Reynolds- Would be playing D1 if it weren't for grades

Derrick Randolph- Will be playing D1 basketball once he picks his college choice

Jermaine Morgan- Will be playing D1 basketball once he picks his college choice

That doesn't include the D1 talent on their lesser level teams. I think team like this, 30 points would be conservative with a shot clock.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 04:24 AM)
he's immune to critcism.

He's basically earned that. MSU is probably like the 4th or 5th best team on the conference at this point. If they weren't able to hold on against Washington, they would be seriously questioning the NCAA tourney birth hopes.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 04:30 AM)
He's basically earned that. MSU is probably like the 4th or 5th best team on the conference at this point. If they weren't able to hold on against Washington, they would be seriously questioning the NCAA tourney birth hopes.

His previous history does deserve the respect, but with the player issues last year and now legal issues for his players, you have to wonder if he wishes he went to the NBA?

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 10:37 PM)
His previous history does deserve the respect, but with the player issues last year and now legal issues for his players, you have to wonder if he wishes he went to the NBA?

I doubt he wishes he was in Cleveland :)

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 09:50 PM)
ACC with an absolutely pathetic night. College basketball is terrible this season, I'm watching Missouri as a so-called top 10 team and they look very average.

It really is.

It feels like Duke, Ohio State, Kansas and then everyone else.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 09:52 PM)
It really is.

It feels like Duke, Ohio State, Kansas and then everyone else.

Based on what? What good wins do these teams have? OSU's best win is at Florida (and no one else), who looks terrible losing to Jacksonville. Duke has wins over Kansas St and Michigan State, two teams who were clearly overrated to begin the season. And Kansas' best win is Memphis, who needed OT to beat Arkansas State and Austin Peay.

There are no dominant teams in college basketball this year, especially now that Duke lost Irving.