Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 10:03 PM)
Based on what? What good wins do these teams have? OSU's best win is at Florida (and no one else), who looks terrible losing to Jacksonville. Duke has wins over Kansas St and Michigan State, two teams who were clearly overrated to begin the season. And Kansas' best win is Memphis, who needed OT to beat Arkansas State and Austin Peay.

There are no dominant teams in college basketball this year, especially now that Duke lost Irving.

Not that those three are world beaters, but I don't see many legitimate claims to saying a team is better than those three to this point.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 10:03 PM)
Based on what? What good wins do these teams have? OSU's best win is at Florida (and no one else), who looks terrible losing to Jacksonville. Duke has wins over Kansas St and Michigan State, two teams who were clearly overrated to begin the season. And Kansas' best win is Memphis, who needed OT to beat Arkansas State and Austin Peay.

There are no dominant teams in college basketball this year, especially now that Duke lost Irving.

Most experts would say OSU's good wins are at Florida, at FSU and against South Carolina. They also have a player who looks like a possible POY.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 10:10 PM)
Im not even an Illini fan, but that was brutal call. Its inexcusable and they screwed a bunch of kids who deserve more from a paid professional.

Call the foul, let him shoot the fts.

That being said the Illini guy should have never touched him.

+1

Illinois had a chance, they folded in the last few min. Just need to find someone else to create after McCamey.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 10:10 PM)
He pushed him in the back while the guy was in the air. It has nothing to do with my "hate" of Illinois. That's an injury concern.

You are going to kill your credibility on any Illinois issue if you really keep pressing this one.

Even the announcers are saying its a bad call. Unless the Illini player tries to take him out (which he didnt, you can clearly see he barely grazes him) its just a regular foul.

Bad call, bad result.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 10:12 PM)
+1

Illinois had a chance, they folded in the last few min. Just need to find someone else to create after McCamey.

Agreed, though in this game it was lack of defense that killed them. Some tough runners went down, but they have to contest better than that.

Hopefully this is another learning game for them. That's about all I got right now. They looked so good in a loss to Texas and in their wins against Gonzaga and North Carolina (two overrated, but still athletic and talented teams). I'm just lost on what to think of this team. I guess good but not great, and hope they can make a run at some point.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 10:10 PM)
Im not even an Illini fan, but that was brutal call. Its inexcusable and they screwed a bunch of kids who deserve more from a paid professional.

Call the foul, let him shoot the fts.

That being said the Illini guy should have never touched him.

I was just coming on here to post pretty much what you said. That was a weak call. But that being said, Tisdale is a dumbass for touching him at all. There was no need. He was already beat on the play and, unfortunately, he didn't make a "basketball move" on the Missouri guy, which is what I'm sure that ref will say was the reason for his call.

Regardless of the call, it was 100% inexcusable for Tisdale to get beat on that play. After a made basket, what the f*** was he doing? You certainly expect more out of a senior.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 10:13 PM)
You are going to kill your credibility on any Illinois issue if you really keep pressing this one.

Even the announcers are saying its a bad call. Unless the Illini player tries to take him out (which he didnt, you can clearly see he barely grazes him) its just a regular foul.

Bad call, bad result.

Granted he didn't hit the guy very hard and seemed to pull up at the end but don't you have to at least make an attempt to block the shot or it's intentional? If everyone disagrees then I suppose I'm wrong but I thought you had to make an attempt at the ball which he clearly did not.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 10:18 PM)
Granted he didn't hit the guy very hard and seemed to pull up at the end but don't you have to at least make an attempt to block the shot or it's intentional? If everyone disagrees then I suppose I'm wrong but I thought you had to make an attempt at the ball which he clearly did not.

I agree with you. The mizzou player was in the air and got shoved in the back. There was no play on the ball. I think it was a good call.

Unfortunately I can make "attempt on the ball" mean anything or mean nothing. You have to use discretion when enforcing a rule.

With less than a minute left, a close game, where a guy doesnt even try and hurt him, but merely fouls him (how many "intentional fouls" can be called in the last minute when teams are actually trying to foul to put the other team on the line), you have to use discretion and give the guy an and 1.

It was bad judgment, I dont think you can look at the circumstances objectively and come to any other result. Even if my team won that way, I would still in my heart feel that it was cheap.You dont kill a team unless the guy really went out of his way to hurt him.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 11:18 PM)

If you call that intentional then there are an incredible amount of intentional fouls each game, especially at the end of close games where teams are actually intentionally fouling. That call also showed no understanding of the game whatsoever but it is what I have come to expect out of college basketball officials who still get nearly every single block/charge call wrong and feel like they are part of the game. Awful, stupid play by Mike Tisdale but John Higgins can go f*** himself. Weber should have gone Bobby Knight and thrown a chair in his direction.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 10:23 PM)
If you call that intentional then there are an incredible amount of intentional fouls each game, especially at the end of close games where teams are actually intentionally fouling. That call also showed no understanding of the game whatsoever but it is what I have come to expect out of college basketball officials who still get nearly every single block/charge call wrong and feel like they are part of the game. Awful, stupid play by Mike Tisdale but John Higgins can go f*** himself. Weber should have gone Bobby Knight and thrown a chair in his direction.

The difference in that situation at least in my eyes is that the player was in the air and vulnerable to injury. Just how I see it. I think a player in the air needs to be protected.

Edited by kjshoe04

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 04:28 AM)
The difference in that situation at least in my eyes is there is that the player was in the air and vulnerable to injury. Just how I see it. I think a player in the air needs to be protected.

If you were a ref, you would set the record for most intentional fouls ever called by about ten times as much.