Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 08:49 PM)
I may be, but it's a tough team to watch. They are so fun, but it's almost always going down to the wire. Hard to take that. I feel the system is more dangerous come tourney time anyway. Next year's team should be contending for the final four though.

I guess it's just that you've already raised your expectations for the team to a national contender level, but after the b.s. of the mid 00s I'm still just really happy we are a force in NCAAB.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 09:14 PM)
I guess it's just that you've already raised your expectations for the team to a national contender level, but after the b.s. of the mid 00s I'm still just really happy we are a force in NCAAB.

Not that. I don't think that they've played like a top 15 team at this point. It has nothing to do with expectations and them being a 'disappointment.' It's about seeing them on the court and being suspicious of going to OT at Oregon and getting spanked at Colorado. They seem to be improving though. Saturday at Texas will be a huge tell.

I know a lot of people in Illinois are familiar with Iman Shumpert. The light has gone on for Shumpert, and he's putting up some insane numbers. Nearly had a quadruple double tonight while shutting down the dangerous Malcolm Delaney. Usually I'd beg a GT player to stay around another year, but if he can be a first round pick, I'll be thrilled to see the local kid make the league.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 10:13 PM)
I know a lot of people in Illinois are familiar with Iman Shumpert. The light has gone on for Shumpert, and he's putting up some insane numbers. Nearly had a quadruple double tonight while shutting down the dangerous Malcolm Delaney. Usually I'd beg a GT player to stay around another year, but if he can be a first round pick, I'll be thrilled to see the local kid make the league.

Saw him play Brandon Paul in Pontiac. Both guys were killing that day.

Izzp dismisses Lucious for rest of year. Ouch

Seton Hall embarassed Syracuse at the Dome last night. Syracuse is very overrated. Guard play is way too inconsistent.

Great to see the UConn freshmen continue to step up. Lamb/Roscoe/Shabazz combined for 46 last night against Marquette. Important because Kemba had another rough game, although he did have 9 assists and 7 rebounds.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 10:38 AM)
I had to at least comment on that ass-raping of purdue last night, so enjoyable.

Haha I knew it was going to happen. Purdue has yet to beat a good team. Yea they beat MSU, but they are 12-7 and really really struggling. Painter has really missed the boat recruiting since 2007. There has been SO MUCH talent in Indiana while IU has been down, and he has pulled one top 100 player in Terone Johnson over that time period. He's a great coach, but like Purdue fans saw last night, you can only go so far with mediocre talent surrounding your Big two. It will be interesting to see what they look like next year without two of their best players in history.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 07:43 PM)
Haha I knew it was going to happen. Purdue has yet to beat a good team. Yea they beat MSU, but they are 12-7 and really really struggling. Painter has really missed the boat recruiting since 2007. There has been SO MUCH talent in Indiana while IU has been down, and he has pulled one top 100 player in Terone Johnson over that time period. He's a great coach, but like Purdue fans saw last night, you can only go so far with mediocre talent surrounding your Big two. It will be interesting to see what they look like next year without two of their best players in history.

If Painter was smart, he'd jump ship after this season.

Don't see that happening since its where he played at, but they don't pay him dirt for the job he has done. If anything, he's going to be exactly like Gene Keady, great seasons, but never do anything in the postseason, and if that happens, I can see them running him out of town. There is just not a great allure to spending spending a year or two at Purdue if you're a player, let alone 4 if you need time to develop. There is a reason a lot of the campus migrates down to Bloomington or Muncie for the weekends.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 03:40 PM)
Don't see that happening since its where he played at, but they don't pay him dirt for the job he has done. If anything, he's going to be exactly like Gene Keady, great seasons, but never do anything in the postseason, and if that happens, I can see them running him out of town. There is just not a great allure to spending spending a year or two at Purdue if you're a player, let alone 4 if you need time to develop. There is a reason a lot of the campus migrates down to Bloomington or Muncie for the weekends.

Yeah, it's because there is absolutely nothing to do at Purdue except for going to Super Wal-Mart. West Lafayette and Lafeyette are the two boringest towns I have ever been in. That includes places there I haven't even stopped in, just drove by.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 01:23 PM)
If Painter was smart, he'd jump ship after this season.

Couldn't agree more. They are going to have a major falloff next year, he's just not getting good enough players. And nobody should be surprised when it happens, you could see this coming for a while now.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
This team makes me want to hurt myself. So depressing

SIU? They just looked bad from about the 4 minute mark of the first half on, especially for a 8 to 10 minute span starting at said 4 minute mark. Looked like they have never seen a press before.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 08:44 PM)
SIU? They just looked bad from about the 4 minute mark of the first half on, especially for a 8 to 10 minute span starting at said 4 minute mark. Looked like they have never seen a press before.

Or a zone or a coach with a clue.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 09:01 PM)
Two top 10 teams are playing, and it's not on national TV.

I like tennis and the Australian Open as much as the next guy, but for a game like this, I think ESPN can switch to the basketball game.

It's on CBS College Sports so technically it is on national tv. It's just not on a channel a lot of people have.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 09:49 PM)
It's on CBS College Sports so technically it is on national tv. It's just not on a channel a lot of people have.

Had it last year at school, of course don't have this year though, ugh. Jimmer torching the Aztecs per usual but Kawhi and company staying in it. Appears to be a great game so far.