Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
This team makes me want to hurt myself. So depressing

I just wish I'd stop torturing myself over this disgrace of a program. The last two games I've been at a concert and playing a volleyball game and I still make sure to get as many score updates as possible even though I know what's going to happen every f***in time. It's just sad, depressing, and Lowery just needs to go the f*** away.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 10:22 PM)
Had it last year at school, of course don't have this year though, ugh. Jimmer torching the Aztecs per usual but Kawhi and company staying in it. Appears to be a great game so far.

It was a decent game. Fredette is Reggie Miller like. He even got a foul call on a flop when he stuck his leg out. The rest of BYU is about as bad as you can get offensively though. He scores absurd numbers because if he scores only 20 they get smoked against anyone decent. Defensively they impressed me. I'll have to watch the return game because I think SDSU might be the better, more dangerous team in the tourney.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 11:35 PM)
It was a decent game. Fredette is Reggie Miller like. He even got a foul call on a flop when he stuck his leg out. The rest of BYU is about as bad as you can get offensively though. He scores absurd numbers because if he scores only 20 they get smoked against anyone decent. Defensively they impressed me. I'll have to watch the return game because I think SDSU might be the better, more dangerous team in the tourney.

They are. They're bigger, longer and extremely more athletic. Their problem is that they're not exactly the best jump shooting team, they rely on athleticism and defense, but they're certainly the real deal.

And ya, BYU doesn't have a ton of talent outside Jimmer though Jackson Emery is a very good player, but it appears by the box score that he played like poop today. Thing is, Fredette is good enough to carry a team by himself to an elite 8 run or so, very Stephen Curry like if you will.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 11:43 PM)
Thing is, Fredette is good enough to carry a team by himself to an elite 8 run or so, very Stephen Curry like if you will.

I mentioned this during the game. BYU has a solid PG that can get him the ball and Fredette plays a combo 1/2 as well, similar to Curry. I liked the rest of Davidson better offensively, but BYU plays some tough D. It's tough to predict what BYU will do in the tourney because if Fredette has a s*** game, they lose.

The rest of BYU isn't bad at all. Emery is a very solid guard, and Davies kept BYU in the game early on tonight. I like BYU's role players a lot more than Davidson's when Curry was there. San Diego State's length inside is impressive, but they don't shoot very well from the perimeter.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 11:59 PM)
The rest of BYU isn't bad at all. Emery is a very solid guard, and Davies kept BYU in the game early on tonight. I like BYU's role players a lot more than Davidson's when Curry was there. San Diego State's length inside is impressive, but they don't shoot very well from the perimeter.

Leonard has great hands and SDS is athletic but not very strong. They will have problems the 2nd weekend of tournament.

Hard for me to be impressed with rest of BYU when Jimmer scores over half their points. You gotta run two guys at him and make others beat you. Jimmer is more deadly than Curry was from what I have seen. Give him a split second if being open and he rips it.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 08:44 PM)
SIU? They just looked bad from about the 4 minute mark of the first half on, especially for a 8 to 10 minute span starting at said 4 minute mark. Looked like they have never seen a press before.

it was embarrassing to watch. Lowery has gone from trying to save his job to completely sabotaging the team for years to come. This JUCO allstars group that he runs out there now, I cannot believe they are wearing the same uniform that Falker, Shaw, Tatum, Young, and Brooks wore(although I like Mamadou Seck). Last night Lowerys cousin Kendal Brown-Surles threw away 3 passes in that stretch where WSU went on a 20-2 run, and all three passes led to runouts that scored. I believe SIU attempted 1 shot in the first 7 minutes of the second half.

This reminds me of the way the Rich Herrin years ended before Bruce Weber took over. Lots of success in the early 90s, then complacency set in and the coach felt like he could get anyone he wanted to fit into the system. The problem is, Lowery doesnt know how to coach up freshman. He was handed the keys to a tournament team, he took them far(i believe they could have gotten to the elite 8, but it didnt happen), and then he crashed the team into the median at 100 MPH. So much work that Weber and Painter did has been completely thrown away for a extremely large ego.

I still cannot believe this man had the audacity to say "If you want Gonzaga results you need to pay Gonzaga money" as if he was the one to create Gonzaga results

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 10:14 PM)
Sorry Heads. Texas Tech finally showed up this year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 10:17 PM)
Any momentum Ia St had from their good start is gone, and they're on their way to a 3 or 4 win Big 12 conference season.

Yeah, I was thinking all the way until this game, they were still a 6-10 IC team (which would be 19-12 overall), good enough for an NIT berth. But if they can't beat TT at home, the post-season isn't happening.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 10:24 PM)
TT and UNC win for you tonight.

Nice night.

I hate Frank Haith.

I wondered how long he is going to keep his job. He always has athletic teams that should be playing better than they do. It's never fun having to play Miami or FSU, because you know there is a ton of athletes, but they aren't coached well.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 04:43 AM)
After watching Carlwell in high school it was kind of sad seeing him plop up and down the court last night. What a waste.

He never really did show much at Illinois before the accident, but I guess big guys do take more time to develop. I guess its nice that he still managed to stick with a D-1 school thats having a real successful year, even if hes not a mjor contributor.

There has to be some assistant coach at a major program somewhere that SIU could go after. Forget a coach with ties to the program. Just get a coach that has paid his dues and knows what it is like to be successful.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 11:02 AM)
There has to be some assistant coach at a major program somewhere that SIU could go after. Forget a coach with ties to the program. Just get a coach that has paid his dues and knows what it is like to be successful.

how about the best of both worlds, Paul Lusk

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 09:03 AM)
I wondered how long he is going to keep his job. He always has athletic teams that should be playing better than they do. It's never fun having to play Miami or FSU, because you know there is a ton of athletes, but they aren't coached well.

I hope this is the final year. We are a young but experienced team. Only 1 player is a senior so there is something to build on with the right coach. Get the right coach in there and maybe we can become a 4th-6th seed in the next year or two in the ACC tournament.

We play a zone and just get eaten alive on the boards. I think at one point UNC had 19 missed shots but 11 offensive rebounds last night. That is ridiculous! Haith just doest have a clue. We're 1-5 in ACC but we've blown leads in the final two minutes in the last three games. Miami could easily be 4-2. I'm not saying we're some good team because this team has a very low basketball IQ and I think that is a reflection of who their coach is.

We've had one really good team in Haith's tenure. It's like I'm watching the football program all over again.

Edited by zenryan