Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 11:14 PM)
Maybe Richmond could transfer to Indiana and play for someone that can actually coach. If I were Jereme I would leave the tranwreck in Champaign as fast as possible. It's not too late for him to develop into an NBA player someplace else. Unfortunately it might be for Brandon Paul. What an awful job of developing an immensely physically skilled player. At some point, it should be clear why every player on a roster is underperforming.

Oh, and McCamey is not even in the conversation for best point guard in the Big Ten. He was thoroughly outplayed by Hulls. Illinois should not make the dance this season -- they are not a tournament quality team.

If I was going to transfer I sure as hell wouldn't transfer to play for Crean. He has won one NCAA tourney game without Dwyane Wade in 11 years.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 10:18 PM)
There might be transfers but Paul Klee knows nothing. I don't think he has ever been ahead of the curve on that type of inside info.

That may be true, but multiple local writers produced stuff late last year suggesting that Bertrand should transfer...it seemed like a story planted by the coaching staff to urge Bertrand to move on and free a scholarship. Again, it may be nothing, but it was odd.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 11:18 PM)
On behalf of Hoosier nation, I would like to apologize for the idiots who rushed the court. I was behind the basket, and stayed firmly planted there.

Wait, people rushed the court for beating Illinois? I know Indiana is down, but damn, you're Indiana.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 10:17 PM)
If I was going to transfer I sure as hell wouldn't transfer to play for Crean. He has won one NCAA tourney game without Dwyane Wade in 11 years.

True enough...I was just impressed with his coaching tonight. Of course, going up against a team whose down-by-3-last-second-play is to have Tisdale turn the ball over probably just makes the opposition look like geniuses relatively.

2nd time this year a team has rushed the court against Illinois. Pretty ridiculous but whatever. Also DMac after playing great through 19 games is now 4-22 over the last two games, in addition to playing awful defense, turning the ball over and not creating easy baskets for anyone else on the team.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 11:30 PM)
True enough...I was just impressed with his coaching tonight. Of course, going up against a team whose down-by-3-last-second-play is to have Tisdale turn the ball over probably just makes the opposition look like geniuses relatively.

With two starters out too...

Rushing the court was bad, but we've been through hell the past three years, does not bother me much.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 11:30 PM)

IU scored 52 pts tonight. There was no genius in that win. Only epic fail by Illinois.

I forgot to mention this but how about Mike Davis missing yet another open 3 footer at a crucial moment. The story of his career. A 6'9 guy with very good athleticism who play like a giant p****. Good riddance to him and the rest of this senior class. I don't even want to go to senior day this year because it is going to be depressing and I don't believe in booing college athletes (who play for my team) unless it is for off court reasons or they just completely dog it on the court.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 10:33 PM)
Rushing the court was bad, but we've been through hell the past three years, does not bother me much.

Yeah, let's be honest here, the seniors haven't seen many bigger wins. I'll give them a break, plus I like seeing Indiana fall so low.

Also, Saint Mary's/Gonzaga is one of my favorite match ups every year. Another solid game brewing now.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 28, 2011 -> 12:47 AM)
Yeah, let's be honest here, the seniors haven't seen many bigger wins. I'll give them a break, plus I like seeing Indiana fall so low.

Also, Saint Mary's/Gonzaga is one of my favorite match ups every year. Another solid game brewing now.

Mark Teahen agrees. He's been tweeting about it all night... though he went to Saint Mary's so that makes sense.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 09:34 PM)
What in the hell is Weber doing? His team is dead tired, and with 4 timeouts left, he doesn't call one and instead D.J. Richardson hits the side of the backboard. Any person who's watched Illini basketball knows this team can't play slow-down basketball, yet Illinois continues to take 30 seconds off the shot clock every possession.

So, I'll start by saying Weber knows infinitely more about basketball than I do. But I have to say I think his offense sucks. His version of motion offense encourages passing around the perimeter for most of the shot clock. Most of the time, the passing is pretty lackadaisical and perfunctory (it doesn't look like it's getting UI a better look..it looks like it's just burning time). This leads to crappy shots with the clock winding down, and I think that slow-down game and fewer offensive possessions results in Illinois "playing down" to less talented teams. Also, the Illini offense seems to actively discourage driving, which yields fewer freethrow opportunities, opponents staying out of foul trouble, and *a lot* of mid to long-range jumpers. Just this week Weber said this about Richmond:

"I think he can become a better shooter. It's not a natural thing. He hasn't shot it that much on the perimeter," Weber said. "When he catches it, his first instinct is to drive to the basket. Shot fake, drive to the basket. He passes up opportunities when he has rhythm shots. When he has rhythm he's fine."

He's encouraging Richmond to abandon what he does very well and take worse shots...I don't know why. Richmond's aggressiveness is what has set him apart on his team, it seems ridiculous to neuter it.

Anyway, I realize Illinois has had games where they simply were on fire from outside and put up big numbers, but I think overall Weber's offense is an awful fit for this team (and a much better fit for a mid-major that wants a slower tempo).

If I am Illinois, I can Weber after this year and show the money to Chris Collins of Duke. He might accept a position as HC here over waiting for Coach K to retire. And still there, he would have to battle with Steve W. who also is the associate head coach for the HC gig.

Illinois native so obvious ties to the area, great recruiter and would seem like a good coach, too, with his history. But if I am Illinois, that is who I am showing the money. Only problem is if he comes to Illinois, do you get a Bill Self situation where the Illinois job is a stepping stone back to Duke or a bigger program -- which itself is awful to say? Illinois 5-10 years ago was a top job, now it's just an good job.

One other thing I fear is that if Weber goes, so goes Jerrance if he isn't hired as head coach.

I'm sure ESPN is so excited for that ILL/MSU College Gameday matchup in East Lansing in late Feb. (Don't laugh, I have tickets to that game. I'm also going to the ILL/NW game in Evanston, that will probably be court storming #3)

These kids need to stop with this court storming s***. Illinois has been ranked around 20th and hasnt won a NCAA tourney game in like 5 years. Penn St. has won 3 of 4 in State College vs. them. I realize how down Indiana has been, but all the fans talk about is how great their program's history is, and then they rush the court for a win like that? Come on now.

I haven't been one to jump on the Fire Weber bandwagon, but somethings gonna have to change soon.

-I think he missed the class on how to play against zone defenses, cause his teams always look so f***ing perplexed when one is thrown at them. It began against Providence when Dee/Deron were around and hasn't changed.

-This year I count at least 5 times that Illinois has had a chance to tie or take the lead in the last minute, and they turn the ball over without even getting a shot off.

-Illinois is obviously not gonna compete for a title every year, but they should be at least winning a game or two in the tournament consistently and thats not even happening.

-Early on he had some recruiting issues & the Gordon/Jamar situations, but at some point you have to be successful with your own players and its not happening. The inconsistency of these teams is maddening.

Yeah, you can officially throw me on the ledge of the Weber bandwagon. I don't buy that coaches lose games in the final seconds....the players have to make plays and Weber can't do anything about turning the ball over. BUT, as you say, this team is just not meant for the motion offense. You need guards and wings that constantly MOVE, which generates open looks, both inside and out. Mike Davis is terrible. Unfortunately McCamey has disappeared. Same with Richardson. Paul and Richmond are trying, but can't do it all.

I dunno, I'm torn. I don't think you can make a move even if they have a one and down in the tournament this year. I think you have to ride it out a couple more seasons with the talent he's bringing in. Yes, a lot of the talent is because of Howard, but they still have to play for the coach, so you risk losing on some big name guys if they don't like the coach.

And Illinois has never been a "top" job. It was a great job, and still is given the facilities, fan base and $$. I don't think anyone bounces from Illinois for a "better" gig unless it's for a specific job, ala Self and Kansas.

It'd be great if Illinois would throw a ton of money at Brad Stevens. I know he didn't jump at the Oregon job or some of the other openings this summer, but I think Illinois presents him with some good opportunities. He can continue recruiting the same areas but move up in pay, conference and program.