Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2011 -> 04:17 PM)
He's actually said he's staying for 2 years. And not alot of NBA scouts or execs would agree with you that he is a question mark in the top five. He is probably one of the most if not the most polished post player in college basketball.

I think he should go personally for a few reasons (unless he wants to avoid worrying about the lockout):

1) This draft class looks very weak and I'm not sure his stock would get any higher. I could see him pulling a Joakim Noah and sliding from the top-5 to somewhere around the 10th pick in a stronger draft.

2) The main concerns teams have about him are his lack of ideal quickness and leaping ability (and to a lesser extent height/length, though he seems decent there). That's not going to change by going back to school.

3) As you said, he's already very polished inside. There's not much more he can show with his post game. Sure, an improved jumper would help his cause, but that's not totally crucial for his draft stock.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 09:46 AM)
Spartand needed OT to get past Indiana by one point in East Lansing. Has Crean figured something out or are the Illini & Spartans just that bad right now?

It's more so the fact that Jordan Hulls has taken over as leader of Indiana. Kid is starting to remind most of the state of Steve Alford. Going to be an all big ten player by his senior year. We're playing so well without two of our best players. The rest of this year should be fun. I'm extremely excited about next year and the upcoming future of Indiana basketball. It seems we're starting to come out of the shadows.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 08:46 AM)
Spartand needed OT to get past Indiana by one point in East Lansing. Has Crean figured something out or are the Illini & Spartans just that bad right now?

Its conference basketball, all rankings are thrown out the door. MSU is definitely not what people thought they would be, but the conference as a whole is still #2 in RPI. They are just beating up on each other like always.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 29, 2011 -> 10:33 AM)
Alright guys, educate me. Normally I don't get into college hoops until March Madness... hell, I'm not a college hoops fan. But my gym has like no channels, so it seems like every night I'm watching college basketball on ESPN or Saturday mornings watching GameDay or CBS or whatever, and all the sudden I've gotten into it.

Anyway, tell me some teams to watch out for, and some of the best players. I don't start normally looking til closer to the end of February. From what I've gathered over the last two weeks, Jared Sullinger is the f***ing man (and will make a pretty damn solid NBA talent if my eyes do not deceive).

Anyway, educate me.

I'll bite, but try to be brief.

Some top teams, no order:

Duke - They have Kyle Singler and Nolan Smith back for their senior seasons. They have a STUD freshman - Kyrie Irving - but he got hurt (toe) in early December and hasn't played since. It is questionable whether or not he'll return at all this season. He is a do-it-all point guard and his status will determine whether or not Duke is a good tournament team or a possible favorite for the title. He's supposed to start rehab soon.

Ohio State - As you said, Sullinger is a beast, no one's really been able to shut him down. They have a lot of experienced guys back and they can shoot really well, including from three point land.

Kansas - They can score with the best of them, they have pretty good depth.

Texas - They are led by a freshman and a sophomore. Very athletic. Good on defense.

Pitt - They have a couple of pretty good guards. Is this the year they finally get to the Final Four?

Some top players -

Besides the guys mentioned above - Singler/Smith/Irving (if he comes back), Sullinger...some other guys:

Jimmer Fredette, BYU - Stud guard. If you remember Stephen Curry from Davidson a few years ago, he is similar to him in that he'll shoot from anywhere and make it. He puts up 30+ many nights. Very fun to watch - if BYU is ever on, tune in.

Kemba Walker, UCONN - Another guard, has put up huge numbers this year. If he's hot, he can carry the team at times.

Jordan Hamilton, Texas - Really good scorer as a forward, he was solid when he played my Illini.

Derrick Williams, Arizona - I haven't seen him play yet, but he gets a lot of ink. Supposed to be really good offensively as a forward.

Other big ten names - Jon Leuer from Wisconsin, JuJuan Johnson from Purdue, Talor Battle from Penn State, Demetri McCamey from Illinois

Not sure how deep you want to go here, but this is a start...

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jan 31, 2011 -> 10:50 PM)
I'll bite, but try to be brief.

Some top teams, no order:

Duke - They have Kyle Singler and Nolan Smith back for their senior seasons. They have a STUD freshman - Kyrie Irving - but he got hurt (toe) in early December and hasn't played since. It is questionable whether or not he'll return at all this season. He is a do-it-all point guard and his status will determine whether or not Duke is a good tournament team or a possible favorite for the title. He's supposed to start rehab soon.

Ohio State - As you said, Sullinger is a beast, no one's really been able to shut him down. They have a lot of experienced guys back and they can shoot really well, including from three point land.

Kansas - They can score with the best of them, they have pretty good depth.

Texas - They are led by a freshman and a sophomore. Very athletic. Good on defense.

Pitt - They have a couple of pretty good guards. Is this the year they finally get to the Final Four?

Some top players -

Besides the guys mentioned above - Singler/Smith/Irving (if he comes back), Sullinger...some other guys:

Jimmer Fredette, BYU - Stud guard. If you remember Stephen Curry from Davidson a few years ago, he is similar to him in that he'll shoot from anywhere and make it. He puts up 30+ many nights. Very fun to watch - if BYU is ever on, tune in.

Kemba Walker, UCONN - Another guard, has put up huge numbers this year. If he's hot, he can carry the team at times.

Jordan Hamilton, Texas - Really good scorer as a forward, he was solid when he played my Illini.

Derrick Williams, Arizona - I haven't seen him play yet, but he gets a lot of ink. Supposed to be really good offensively as a forward.

Other big ten names - Jon Leuer from Wisconsin, JuJuan Johnson from Purdue, Talor Battle from Penn State, Demetri McCamey from Illinois

Not sure how deep you want to go here, but this is a start...

I greatly appreciate this writeup. Thank you very, very much.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 05:25 AM)
Haven't posted this thread in awhile, but any of that Jereme Richmond s*** that was posted was just that, bulls***. There were major concerns regarding another player but those have all been resolved over the past couple days.

Who was that player?

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 04:47 PM)
I take it Penn St/Illinois is still on?

Yup, in front of only a few thousand. Illinois kind of needs this game and their home court advantage is slightly negated. Thankfully its the last time they have to face Talor Battle.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 05:51 PM)
Watford probably done for the year with a broken hand. IU now has 3 starters out. Can't wait to see more walkons.....

Losing Watford really hurts. Frankly IU is better off without this years version of Creek (last years version was a stud though). He was killing them because he couldn't make shots and he was bringing nothing else to the table. I've never been a Jones fan either, very inefficient scorer who turns the ball over constantly.

Yea I hear you about Creek, but Jones was starting to really play pretty well. We went into the year with a starting lineup of Hulls, Creek, Jones, Watford, and GMM. We have one player left standing in Hulls. Things happen though I suppose and assuming everybody gets healthy, we should be a pretty damn good team next year losing only Rivers and adding Zeller, Etherington, and probably another player.

The hits just keep on comin' for IU. Crean can't get a freakin break! The margin for error for this team is so slim with all of our players, but to be without all three is just killer.

Hopefully Creek can reach his potential by his senior year, but after two consecutive knee injuries I'm not we should expect much of anything from him.

Verdell Jones, in most situations would simply be a role player for IU, but obviously we are in a different time/place with the program. While he is erratic at times, he does have the ability to score both as a shooter and off the dribble. He's not dominant in any facet, but he is an offensive weapon on a team that had few true threats.

Watford has been developing nicely. He wasn't a stud, but looked to be a really nice four year player who can do a little bit of everything. He's definitely better developed his shot this year and is athletic.

Sadly, it appears we are at least two years away from truly competing near the top of the Big Ten. I know recruiting is looking in the right direction, but it would be nice if we could catch a freakin break a few times on the court before then. Pulling out a win at MSU would have been a good start. Instead we lose and lose our top scorer.

Michigan St isn't even trying it appears. I've been saying this for a while, but there has got to be some major issues going on with that program. They keep running off players, but the attitude of some of their younger players is awful as well. Poor Izzo, should have taken the Bulls job.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 08:01 PM)
Michigan St isn't even trying it appears. I've been saying this for a while, but there has got to be some major issues going on with that program. They keep running off players, but the attitude of some of their younger players is awful as well. Poor Izzo, should have taken the Bulls job.

Wow.

On a side note, Iowa State is showing interest in Lucious, because.....why not.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 08:01 PM)

Every team that has traveled in this storm has lost, most of them to bad teams.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 2, 2011 -> 09:01 PM)

Appling and Payne were accused of sexual assault before the season started but no charges were brought. Lucious and Allen both obviously have issues and Summers has always been a guy who only shows up half the time. In the past MSU had enough depth to cover that up but now they are down to 3 guards and when he dogs it they are screwed.