Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 09:18 PM)
Well, GT vs Miami was a terrible basketball game. Awful charge call on Shumpert, but oh well, it's too bad either team gets credit for a win.

I was praying GT would have comeback to win in hopes that Haith would have been fired tomorrow.

GT goes 4-29 from 3pt land and lose by 2.

Miami turns it over 29 times and wins by 2.

What an ugly, ugly game.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 03:28 AM)
I was praying GT would have comeback to win in hopes that Haith would have been fired tomorrow.

GT goes 4-29 from 3pt land and lose by 2.

Miami turns it over 29 times and wins by 2.

What an ugly, ugly game.

Zen, I wish I was still in Grad School so I could write a paper on the struggles on the court for minority coaches. Oh well...in the end, it's better for GT to lose every game.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 02:45 AM)
Why can't DePaul at least pull one good class from the city schools? Just take a whole Young team or something.

They really, really blew it by hiring Purnell. One of the more overrated coaches in all of the NCAA. You and I have as many NCAA tournament wins as he did at Clemson. He was like their 25th choice though.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 08:46 PM)
They really, really blew it by hiring Purnell. One of the more overrated coaches in all of the NCAA. You and I have as many NCAA tournament wins as he did at Clemson. He was like their 25th choice though.

They should bring in someone with ties to the city league and just open up a pipeline of kids that want to stay in the city and bang lincoln park trixies

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 02:48 AM)
They should bring in someone with ties to the city league and just open up a pipeline of kids that want to stay in the city and bang lincoln park trixies

I flat out told someone on the search committee that if you can't get Chris Collins, go ahead and get Jerrance Howard. He'll get you anyone in the city that you want. I'd love to talk to that person now and tell them congrats on making a pathetic hire who has no chance of exciting your fan base.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 09:38 PM)
Zen, I wish I was still in Grad School so I could write a paper on the struggles on the court for minority coaches. Oh well...in the end, it's better for GT to lose every game.

What is bizarre is that minority coaches have done very well in the NBA and NFL but have struggled immensely in college sports. Obviously part of that has to do with the fact that there haven't been very many minority coaches that have gotten the elite jobs but it still is surprising that it is difficult to come up with a minority coach in either college football of basketball that has actually built or maintained a powerhouse.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 03:53 AM)
What is bizarre is that minority coaches have done very well in the NBA and NFL but have struggled immensely in college sports. Obviously part of that has to do with the fact that there haven't been very many minority coaches that have gotten the elite jobs but it still is surprising that it is difficult to come up with a minority coach in either college football of basketball that has actually built or maintained a powerhouse.

Mike Anderson is probably the best black coach in NCAA right now, followed closely by Tubby Smith (who's yet to really do anything of significance at Minnesota and there's word he wants out after this year). Lorenzo Romar has been solid, but word is that he's about as dirty as there is in the college game (besides Scott Drew). Everyone likes him, but is Craig Robinson the most overrated coach in the NCAA? Oregon St. has been awful the last two years. Clearly, Paul Hewitt, Leonard Hamilton, and Haith need to be taken to the glue factory. Thankfully E. Kent got fired last year, as he was an absolute joke of a coach.

I know youre talking about major programs but Mike Jarvis has done a really good job at Florida Atlantic. He's 65 and I doubt he'd want to leave Boca but if he was younger I bet he'd get one more chance at a major program.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 10:07 PM)
I would never have come up with all those names, wow fathom

That was pretty impressive.

Stan Heath has been pretty horrid everywhere he went. He's at South Florida and probably should be fired but him winning 20 games and going .500 in the Big East last year probably bought him another 2 years.

Rock,

haha yah Im thinking there is a good chance OSU may come into the Kohl Center undefeated. Should be interesting because I doubt the refs would give Wisconsin to much home cooking. Theyll obviously really slow down the game and it will all depend on how Wisconsin can shoot the three.

Should be fun and hopefully all these other teams stealing Wisconsin's style havent prepared OSU.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 03:11 AM)
That was pretty impressive.

Stan Heath has been pretty horrid everywhere he went. He's at South Florida and probably should be fired but him winning 20 games and going .500 in the Big East last year probably bought him another 2 years.

Add him to the list of despicable recruiters as well. He should have been fired for the Gus Gilchrist recruitment. Another one is Jeff Capel. How does he have a job after the Tiny Gallon recruitment? Capel can thank Blake Griffin for making a lot of money at OU.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 09:58 PM)
BTW, how is the BCBA going to feel if all four black coaches in the ACC get fired after this season? Only one with a prayer of staying right now is Hamilton, but I know chimpy is on here always saying that they want him gone.

Sidney Lowe has been bad at NCST. Seems like he slides under the radar. I know he's a legacy but I would have to assume NCST's patience is running thin.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 03:16 AM)
Sidney Lowe has been bad at NCST. Seems like he slides under the radar. I know he's a legacy but I would have to assume NCST's patience is running thin.

He's long gone...they emptied their, um, recruiting budget last year to give him one more shot.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 09:12 PM)
Rock,

haha yah Im thinking there is a good chance OSU may come into the Kohl Center undefeated. Should be interesting because I doubt the refs would give Wisconsin to much home cooking. Theyll obviously really slow down the game and it will all depend on how Wisconsin can shoot the three.

Should be fun and hopefully all these other teams stealing Wisconsin's style havent prepared OSU.

I personally think there's a good chance they lose 4 of the next 5. They really have to be perfect to win @min and @Wisconsin. It's a saturday game isn't it?

DePaul gets some nice recruits now and then (list at the end), but never enough to sustain any success. Interestingly, many of them weren't from Chicago either.

It's hard when the program hasn't done anything of real note since the early 80's. Moving to the Big East has been horrible for them, they just can't hang, and this may be bulls***, but I would think that not playing midwest teams in conference hurts their appeal a bit to the local kids. The off campus stadium can't help either, though supposedly the alums like it a lot because of a much easier commute.

Some stud DePaul recruits:

Quentin Richardson (5-star, Whitney Young)

Bobby Simmons (high 4 I think, Simeon)

Lance Williams (4 I believe, Julian)

Andre Brown (5-star I think (McD's All American), Leo)

Wesley Green (#44, Eustis Florida)

Tyler Smith (#49, Baltimore Maryland)

Jamal Nichols (listed as a 4 on rivals with no ranking, Philadelphia)

Wilson Chandler (#44, Benton Harbor Michigan)

Rahad Woods (#48, Westbury Texas)

Will Walker (#95, Bollingbrook)

Mac Koswal (#18, Boys to Men)

Dar Tucker (#34, Saginaw Michigan)

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 3, 2011 -> 08:45 PM)
Why can't DePaul at least pull one good class from the city schools? Just take a whole Young team or something.

They have some coming next year and they are in on some juniors. The classes won't blow anybody away but they may help improve their program.