Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 09:33 PM)
Wow what the hell. Anyways get the out of Iowa and never return is my best advice.

Guess we can face OSU now but not sure what Wisconsin's mental state is now.

Matta hasn't won at the Kohl center with some really good teams, most likely you'll have a good Saturday.

And Gary Williams is clearly becoming senile, he apparently thinks a lot more of the ACC than actual stats do.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 09:00 PM)
Sounded like Bardo threw D-Will under the bus for the Sloan firing. Typical Illini finish, take a 9 point lead, let Minny cut it to 1 in the last two minutes. Awesome. D-Mac benching seems to have waken him up, still making some bad decisions though.

So that's something else that Illinois does with regularity that I don't understand. Do they change the offense they run once they get a lead? Like running more clock and taking lousy shots as time expires? Or is it that when other teams bring defensive pressure they can't handle it (they are an overall poor ball-handling team)? It seems to happen a lot, and like the road shooting, I don't understand why.

On the plus side, the rebounding margin is closer tonight so far than I thought it would be.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Feb 11, 2011 -> 04:07 AM)
So that's something else that Illinois does with regularity that I don't understand. Do they change the offense they run once they get a lead? Like running more clock and taking lousy shots as time expires? Or is it that when other teams bring defensive pressure they can't handle it (they are an overall poor ball-handling team)? It seems to happen a lot, and like the road shooting, I don't understand why.

Weber has historically slowed down the pace in the 2nd half if his team has a lead. A lot of the time, it's ruined the flow of the offense and led to a lot of rushed shots at the end of shot clock.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 11, 2011 -> 04:23 AM)
How do you figure? It's been happening since Deron left. If it's on the players, then shame on Weber for not figuring out a way after all this time of getting them to speed it up.

The latter is on Weber. However, he does not change the gameplan with a lead, at least not in the last two seasons.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 09:25 PM)
The latter is on Weber. However, he does not change the gameplan with a lead, at least not in the last two seasons.

Agreed. I'm not sure why he can't come up with some plays to get open shots. He runs the motion until there's 30 seconds left and they're down 6. But it's still on the players to hit shots/not throw the ball away, which has been 90% of the problem this year. As much as I'd like to s*** on him for this waste of a season, I just can't.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 11, 2011 -> 04:25 AM)

Fair enough. I like to play a game by looking at the game thread on Illini sites before checking the score. If you didn't know better, you'd think Minnesota was up by 25. Considering how poorly Illinois has shot, being down 1 here isn't bad at all.

Man, outside of the big 3 of Minnesota, they are absolutely awful. Is it just that Kentucky recruits all the good players...because it's insane how little depth so many of these teams have. I watched the #17 team in the country last night, and I'm confident they wouldn't win 6 games in one of the bigger conferences.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 09:55 PM)
and I'm confident they wouldn't win 6 games in one of the bigger conferences.

That's an exaggeration but ya Utah State really isn't all that great, that I agree with you on. That's one of the few times you'll see an overrated mid major, mostly because Utah State has definitely earned a reputation the last few years.