Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
Ugh, I'm so sick of hearing Illini fans (not on this site, but other boards) want to see Leonard play over Tisdale. Leonard is terrible, and whenever he was in today, Johnson schooled him. Illini fans need to realize that this team will do or die based on how McCamey plays.

I agree. The clamoring for Head, Bertrand, Griffey, and Leonard to play is bizarre. They simply will not perform better than the guys that are playing. And if Weber had played them a bunch in non-conference (as some people say he should have), people would have ripped him for losing winnable games. There's lot of things Weber could be criticized for, but I don't think he leaves a game on the bench. Even starting Cole over Richmond at the beginning of the season wasn't crazy -- it's not like Richmond is a Carmelo Anthony.

As for starting McCamey today, I think it was a legitimate choice based on his effort in Minnesota. But Paul is simply the best player on the team now which makes the choice of starting him or McCamey very interesting. Maybe sitting Tisdale to start Paul would be the way to go, even though that leaves no PG on the bench.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 03:30 PM)
Weren't some fans thinking Meyers could be a one and done? The dude is so bad everytime I see him. Seems like he has a ton of potential, he just plays dumb and does more whining with Richmond than anything else.

There were some stupid fans based on his length and athleticism but every team has fans that over hype players. I think and have always thought Leonard could be an early entry guy because there just aren't very many 7 footers with his athleticism but it clearly wasn't going to be this year. I think Leonard will be a very solid player next year but not special and then will be a great player as a junior and that will be when he could possibly go pro.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 02:40 PM)
Richmond, like a lot of players and coaches at Illinois, does seem unlikable. But, you know, there's lots of players in recent memory with the same level of obnoxiousness. DeMarcus Cousins comes to mind, although at least he had a dominant game to along with the arrogance.

Paul should start. McCamey should be on the bench. It's mind-boggling how McCamey's game has disappeared. He doesn't seem injured but the difference between the non-conference season and now is enough to make you wonder if there isn't an underlying physical reason behind the decline. Right now, Paul is a better point guard which is shocking.

I have never seen a player fall off the way McCamey has. To go from an all american and a guy that a lot of NBA scouts had in the 1st round to a guy that is frankly terrible is hard to fathom.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 03:00 PM)
Purdue is very physical on D...lots of hand-checking and contact. That's not a complaint -- I think it's good coaching and particularly good strategy against Illinois who can't handle the ball. But I do think it's interesting that some teams can play that style without the officials lowering the boom and other teams rack up touch foul after touch foul. I don't really get why that is...

And lest anyone think otherwise, I think Illinois lost this game today because Purdue is a much better team, not because of officiating. I'm not complaining the officials being unfair....

Purdue's entire defensive strategy is to foul on every single possession because the refs won't call them all and a lot of times refs will let more contact go as the game goes on. I have yet to see a Purdue game where the other team should have been called for more fouls than Purdue. It is insane how many fouls they get away with.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 09:09 PM)
Too many Illini fans blame the refs. Seriously. Every game.

They also think that every other team cheats when recruiting but them. With that said, the Illini fans on this board are good ones. I really feel like Weber has created an excuse-laden culture with that program instead of ever putting responsibility on himself. His biggest issue after this year is managing the enormous ego of three of his starting players (in the rare chance they all return) in Leonard, Richmond and Paul.

Edited by fathom

Sweet 2nd half effort guys. Purdue made some shots, but the defensive effort was worse than something you'd see at a local YMCA. Here's the lane, please take it...and if you miss the shot, we'll let you have another chance because we're nice guys like that.

Demetri McCamey, thank you not showing up to yet another game. Your season can be summed up by your one handed missed dunk. It really is crazy how far he's fallen.

It's pretty sad that on any given night usually only 1/3 of the seniors will contribute. We only stayed in the game because our sophomores put the team on their backs. That's one bright spot going into next year I guess. I still worry about DJ, but maybe he's coming around.

All the Illini fans here went to the school and I understand their passion. I'm going through the same frustration with my alma mater. But it isn't the refs fault McCamey is mailing it in or that Tisdale is an unathletic black hole.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 07:56 PM)
All the Illini fans here went to the school and I understand their passion. I'm going through the same frustration with my alma mater. But it isn't the refs fault McCamey is mailing it in or that Tisdale is an unathletic black hole.

All my friends who actually follow the team are saying they can't wait for this senior class to graduate, they are blaming the players, not the refs.

And the Illini play in the Big Ten (obvi), and in that league there is going to be terrible refs, who will sometimes allow lots of physical play and then switch from that in a split second.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 05:56 PM)
All the Illini fans here went to the school and I understand their passion. I'm going through the same frustration with my alma mater. But it isn't the refs fault McCamey is mailing it in or that Tisdale is an unathletic black white hole.

Fixed

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 05:56 PM)

Nick Smith >>>>>> Mike Tisdale

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
Ugh, I'm so sick of hearing Illini fans (not on this site, but other boards) want to see Leonard play over Tisdale. Leonard is terrible, and whenever he was in today, Johnson schooled him. Illini fans need to realize that this team will do or die based on how McCamey plays.

I never said anything about Meyers Leonard. The best lineup today was Davis at center, JR at 4.

However, Leonard is extremely raw but will only get better as opposed to Tisdale who sucks and will continue to suck. Can't wait for next year!

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 12:57 PM)
I generally would believe a player. But the evidence is some what overwhelming. In the second shot you can clearly see Sullinger walk off the court. The entire time he makes no motions to indicate that he has been spit on (if you are spit on you will have an immediate reaction as well as the wiping off reaction.)

Now its possible that after the shot ends he is spit on. But his claim was that some one spit in his face during the court storming. From the tape its clear that there was a wall of security between him and any fan. In order for a fan to have spit in his face they would have had to spit through security.

Dont you think that would have gotten some attention?

If some one spits in my face, there is going to be an immediate unmistakable reaction.

The wall of security stopped spit from the stands? Come on. Even you said it was drunk college kids. Sullinger is far too classy to react on the court when something like that happens, and its pretty clear that most likely it did. Who cares anyway, you got your win.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 11:02 AM)
The wall of security stopped spit from the stands? Come on. Even you said it was drunk college kids. Sullinger is far too classy to react on the court when something like that happens, and its pretty clear that most likely it did. Who cares anyway, you got your win.

That reaction would have nothing to do with being classy. It would have everything to do with your body automatically reacting to an external stimulus. I believe Soxbadger was referring to that visceral sort of reaction, not one of anger or anything.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 10:44 AM)
That reaction would have nothing to do with being classy. It would have everything to do with your body automatically reacting to an external stimulus. I believe Soxbadger was referring to that visceral sort of reaction, not one of anger or anything.

The guy isn't the type of person to lie, and he didn't make a big deal out of it whatsoever. That's the point. Coming on here and making a case for the kid to be a liar for no reason makes zero sense. Drunk college kids are idiots and spit, throw batteries, coins etc all the time at sporting events incuding dumbass OSU fans. Luckily nobody was hurt.

Edited by RockRaines

Rock he made a pretty big deal about it, it was national news.

And like I said, I generally would believe the player, they have caught many students on tape throwing things etc. The reason that I posted it is because Wisconsin fans who were at the game are adamantly stating that it did not happen. These are the same fans who get mad at the students for chanting "Diebler swallows".

It just distracted from the game. If he didnt want to make a big deal about it, he didnt need to tweet it. And you can say this isnt the type of person to lie as much as you want, but how many athletes that people have said that about have done far worse?

Innocent until proven guilty and I apply that even to accusations in general. Now like I said, if there was video evidence Id be saying that they should try and fin d the person and make sure they are permanently suspended.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)
Rock he made a pretty big deal about it, it was national news.

And like I said, I generally would believe the player, they have caught many students on tape throwing things etc. The reason that I posted it is because Wisconsin fans who were at the game are adamantly stating that it did not happen. These are the same fans who get mad at the students for chanting "Diebler swallows".

It just distracted from the game. If he didnt want to make a big deal about it, he didnt need to tweet it. And you can say this isnt the type of person to lie as much as you want, but how many athletes that people have said that about have done far worse?

Innocent until proven guilty and I apply that even to accusations in general. Now like I said, if there was video evidence Id be saying that they should try and fin d the person and make sure they are permanently suspended.

Its not a mystery that fans do this though. He didn't mention it to the media after the game now hasn't been interviewed about it. He took it in stride and mentioned it on a tweet. If he said he got spit on, then it happened IMO. Maybe it wasn't intentional, but it's very plausible with how rowdy the fans were and the fact they rushed the court with such force. If they examine all security tapes and zoom n far enough to watch all pieces of spittle that are near Sullingers face, then maybe you can come to a conclusive decision. Otherwise, the kid got spit on, the day ended, move on.

Yeah and plenty of people believe that accusers never lie, but there is a reason why our society believes in innocent until proven guilty, its because its to easy to make accusations that can not be proven.

In your opinion it happened, in my opinion it most likely did not. I really dont believe that not mentioning it to the media helps his case. A tweet you get to say what you want with no follow up questions. If he said it to the media he might have actually had to explain what happened and then we would be able to look at the evidence.

Either way, I wouldnt blindly believe any person that I had never met regardless of how allegedly impeccable their reputation is. Its unfortunate that this had to become a national story, but what else do you expect when some one tweets about it to a national audience.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 11:19 AM)
Yeah and plenty of people believe that accusers never lie, but there is a reason why our society believes in innocent until proven guilty, its because its to easy to make accusations that can not be proven.

In your opinion it happened, in my opinion it most likely did not. I really dont believe that not mentioning it to the media helps his case. A tweet you get to say what you want with no follow up questions. If he said it to the media he might have actually had to explain what happened and then we would be able to look at the evidence.

Either way, I wouldnt blindly believe any person that I had never met regardless of how allegedly impeccable their reputation is. Its unfortunate that this had to become a national story, but what else do you expect when some one tweets about it to a national audience.

Actually he let his coach handle the questions, and his subsequent tweets and interviews have been nothing but complimentary towards wisconsin and the fans. If you think it didn't happen then thats fine, however the kid has no reason to lie about it and hasnt even made a big deal about it at all. Some fans are stupid and that's that, it's not indicative of the entire fan base, but i think the behavior of the crowd certainly makes the claim very plausible. Luckily it's not distracting to either program and it will be forgotten as the schedule moves on. I just hope buckeye fans don't do anything stupid when the badgers come to columbus.