Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 02:24 PM)
Unless something has changed, there is no way Kanter isn't in this upcoming draft. He was ruled permanently ineligible so there wouldn't be any reason for him to stay at Kentucky another year.

Yeah, he's gone. He's physically ready for the NBA anyway.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 02:20 PM)
Palehose, I'm a big fan of Williams, but his game doesn't translate well to the NBA level right now. Thompson's wing span is insane, which should boost him up the ranks. Also, I thought I heard Kanter might stay another year at Kentucky.

Williams isn't your prototypical long, jump out of the gym type PF that scouts covet. But I think he can make a Boozer type impact if he keeps working on getting in shape. He has very nice shooting form, a soft touch, and is reportedly a hard worker. I think he could be in the NBA what Sean May could have become if he could have just put down the cookies.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)
I'd be interested to know the other 10. Only ones that I'd consider over him are P. Jones, Irving, Sullinger, and Barnes. Of the 5, Thompson has the greatest chance to turn into a superstar, IMO.

I'd probably take Sullinger, Irving, Perry Jones, Derrick Williams, Brandon Knight and his teammate Jordan Hamilton over him.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 10:49 PM)
I'd probably take Sullinger, Irving, Perry Jones, Derrick Williams, Brandon Knight and his teammate Jordan Hamilton over him.

I love D. Williams, but I'm not sure how his game will translate either. He's going to end up being a small forward likely.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 03:49 PM)

Sullinger is already what he described above. He hasnt even gotten a real chance to show his midrange game in college yet.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 01:35 PM)
Ohio State has beaten 2 top 25 kenpom teams: @Illinois, and crushing Purdue at home

Kansas has beaten 2: Arizona on a neutral court, Missouri at home

Texas has beaten 4: Missouri at home, Illinois in New York, North Carolina in NC, and at Kansas

#7 Notre Dame has beaten five top 25 teams ( @#4 Pittsburgh, vs. #9 Georgetown, neutral site #10 Wisconsin, vs. #12 Connecticut, & vs. #16 Louisville). They also have "quality" losses @#20 Syracuse and @#22 Kentucky in Louisville.

Additionally, they will have a game vs. #14 Villanova, and a second one @#12 Connecticut coming up.

This is not including the upcoming Big East tourney with 6 other top 25 teams in the conference.

So... strength of schedule is really affecting how people see the top 3 teams.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 09:58 PM)
Jim Burr is such a f***ing joke. He has no business reffing college games. That technical he called on Green was ridiculous. There is almost no chance it had an impact on the outcome but that was pathetic on his part.

There are a few refs like that, you know their names, what they look like and that they suck at officiating. When you see that at the beginning of the game, you immediately know they are going to screw you at some point doing the game. Ed Hightower is another.

The three worst refs in the country are all predominantly Big Ten refs. Hillary, Burr, and Hightower. Valentine is bad too, but he doesn't do a whole lot here. Anyways, it's a wonder why the officiating in the conference is so bad. I'm actually to the point where I almost like seeing Hightower.

Hightower will eventually ruin the flow of whatever game he is officiating. Its a concrete fact. At some point he is going to modify how he calls fouls and completely change the pace of the game. He may even throw a technical in there to get some camera time.

That technical last night was weird. At first I thought it was an old school spiking the ball T, but actually he just yelled f***.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 05:19 PM)
The three worst refs in the country are all predominantly Big Ten refs. Hillary, Burr, and Hightower. Valentine is bad too, but he doesn't do a whole lot here. Anyways, it's a wonder why the officiating in the conference is so bad. I'm actually to the point where I almost like seeing Hightower.

Teddy Valentine is the worst, IMO.

BTW, heard this stat earlier which is crazy: Bruce Weber in 13 years as a D1 coach has never signed a player that got drafted. That will end in two years likely, but still that's crazy to hear.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 01:34 PM)
Teddy Valentine is the worst, IMO.

BTW, heard this stat earlier which is crazy: Bruce Weber in 13 years as a D1 coach has never signed a player that got drafted. That will end in two years likely, but still that's crazy to hear.

McCamey will be drafted. I know he has sucked lately but if you look at the garbage that goes in the 2nd round, he'll fall in there somewhere.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 09:00 PM)
McCamey will be drafted. I know he has sucked lately but if you look at the garbage that goes in the 2nd round, he'll fall in there somewhere.

Not much of a market for a 4 year player with attitude issues. Recent draft reports on him have not been favorable. He'll need a strong postseason to get himself back into good standing with scouts.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 04:39 PM)
Not much of a market for a 4 year player with attitude issues. Recent draft reports on him have not been favorable. He'll need a strong postseason to get himself back into good standing with scouts.

I'll wager any amount of money in the world that McCamey will be drafted. If the season ended today he would be as well.

Watching Purdue games is hard because it always feels like they are constantly fouling. Wisconsin could have won the game had they shot better, thats all you can ask for on the road. Leuer was pretty awesome for a while, Id love the Bulls to get their hands on him because I think hell be a great versatile bench guy.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 16, 2011 -> 09:29 PM)
Damn, that would have been a hell of a shot by Michigan to win it. Illini fans at least can't blame the seniors tonight.

I'm shocked Illinois didn't lose. I hate watching Weber's teams on offense (actually, defense too but they are better there). They need to bring in an offensive coordinator...burning off the shot clock with a bunch of looping slow passes (slow enough to allow constant double-teaming that generated turnovers) to take a worse shot than you could have gotten by just chucking at the beginning of the set is ridiculous. And it's clearly not the players choice...you can tell they would rather run.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Feb 17, 2011 -> 04:45 AM)
I'm shocked Illinois didn't lose. I hate watching Weber's teams on offense (actually, defense too but they are better there). They need to bring in an offensive coordinator...burning off the shot clock with a bunch of looping slow passes (slow enough to allow constant double-teaming that generated turnovers) to take a worse shot than you could have gotten by just chucking at the beginning of the set is ridiculous. And it's clearly not the players choice...you can tell they would rather run.

I only saw last 20 seconds, but read elsewhere that Richmond had some attitude issues again. Someone needs to tell him to knock if off, as he needs to back-up his attitude on the court with his play.