Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 06:00 PM)
:crying

Your credibility is shot when you talk about Missouri St over MSU or Illinois, 2 teams that weren't the last few in.

It's also not about who you would watch.

I never said they were better. I said that I feel they deserve to be rewarded for having a good year over two teams the were mediocre all year. I'm not seeking credibility just stating my preference of what I would like to see. Clearly as I am not a part of the selection committee it doesn't matter what I think. I swear you have some kind fixation on proving Illinois is so much better than mid majors.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody watch the UNLV documentary on HBO? WHat a disappointment. Love the archived footage but they tried to make UNLV look like the victims with the NCAA violations. Weak.

Hope the Fab Five is good. I loved those guys even though they were crooked as all hell.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 05:43 PM)
Missouri St. won the damn league. They deserve to make the tournament with the year they had. I'd rather see them than watch michigan st. or illinois, two teams that have been disappointments.

Missouri State absolutely did not deserve to be in, their resume is horrendous. WSU also has a terrible resume, the valley deserved one team this year, period.

I don't understand the fact that people are complaining about VCU, they're actually very deserving imo. Clemson and UAB on the other hand are ridiculous choices. Colorado should have been in semi easily imo as well, so that's one of the more ridiculous snubs I've seen in a while to be honest, 6 wins against the top 50? That's pretty f***in good.

So Clemson and UAB out, Colorado in for sure and then I probably put St. Mary's in as well, them or Va Tech.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 06:15 PM)
Illinois beat 4 conference champions from mid-major conferences this year by a combined 50 points. I'll go with that they are better.

Most of those points were scored by Illinois on their home court and early in the season when Illinois was playing better. The Illini team that took the floor in the Big Ten tournament was certainly not any better than a mid-major conference champion if a game was played on a neutral court, and certainly worse than than a team like Utah State (if you think of them as a mid-major). That being said, I don't think Missouri State would be the mid-major team I would take over Illinois if I were filling out the brackets.

I do agree that Colorado should have been in over UAB (I can't believe that snub...one of the worst I can remember).

Edited by hitlesswonder

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 06:06 PM)
I never said they were better. I said that I feel they deserve to be rewarded for having a good year over two teams the were mediocre all year. I'm not seeking credibility just stating my preference of what I would like to see. Clearly as I am not a part of the selection committee it doesn't matter what I think. I swear you have some kind fixation on proving Illinois is so much better than mid majors.

And your fixation is on proving that MVC teams (you wish you could say ISU) are better than Illinois.

You don't put teams in the tournament based on "Did they live up to pre-season expectations?"

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 07:47 PM)
San Diego State should have been a #1 seed. Pitt should not have.

I'm okay with the regular season champs of the best/toughest conference in college getting the #1. SDSU was good, not #1 good.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 08:18 PM)
Anybody watch the UNLV documentary on HBO? WHat a disappointment. Love the archived footage but they tried to make UNLV look like the victims with the NCAA violations. Weak.

Hope the Fab Five is good. I loved those guys even though they were crooked as all hell.

Fab 5 doc was superb.

Can't believe VCU and UAB got in. I also am pretty surprised USC got in (not as surprised at Clemson as a lot of people though). I really think Harvard could make a strong case for being in, and Colorado and Virginia Tech also had a case. But the thing is, there were not 68 deserving teams this year. Not even close. So if you didn't get in, it's the fault of NOBODY but yourself. Teams like Illinois, USC, Marquette, Georgia, VCU, and UAB would not be in the tournament the vast majority of years because their resumes are either pieces of s*** or have elements to them that are trash. But this year, they're all in and teams like Marquette, Georgia, and Illinois aren't even play-in game types. Not to pick on them either, because I'm sure there are several other at-large teams I'm not thinking of that the same could be said for. And really, it's hard to find any teams to put in over them.

This tournament is interesting in the sense you could make the case for a ton of upsets due to how crappy everybody is, or maybe there will be a lack of upsets due to how unprecented the low quality is among lower seeds. But it's the tournament, so we'll still all watch. As for first round matchups, I love Washington/Georgia. Should be a fun game, and I think the winner will give North Carolina a big headache either way. Also love Texas/Oakland if you're thinking big upset, and perhaps Belmont/Wisconsin too. Cincinnati/Mizzou and Michigan/Tennessee could be fun in the west as well. Vanderbilt/Richmond could be this years 5/12 upset. There are a lot of 1st round games that could be close. Although I think there are a lot of games in general that will be close, the talent level isn't that widely dispersed. Regardless of if the ton of upsets or few upsets idea plays out, I'd be shocked if there are a ton of blowouts, outside of maybe in the 1st round.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 09:37 PM)
Can't believe VCU and UAB got in. I also am pretty surprised USC got in (not as surprised at Clemson as a lot of people though). I really think Harvard could make a strong case for being in, and Colorado and Virginia Tech also had a case. But the thing is, there were not 68 deserving teams this year. Not even close. So if you didn't get in, it's the fault of NOBODY but yourself. Teams like Illinois, USC, Marquette, Georgia, VCU, and UAB would not be in the tournament the vast majority of years because their resumes are either pieces of s*** or have elements to them that are trash. But this year, they're all in and teams like Marquette, Georgia, and Illinois aren't even play-in game types. Not to pick on them either, because I'm sure there are several other at-large teams I'm not thinking of that the same could be said for. And really, it's hard to find any teams to put in over them.

This tournament is interesting in the sense you could make the case for a ton of upsets due to how crappy everybody is, or maybe there will be a lack of upsets due to how unprecented the low quality is among lower seeds. But it's the tournament, so we'll still all watch. As for first round matchups, I love Washington/Georgia. Should be a fun game, and I think the winner will give North Carolina a big headache either way. Also love Texas/Oakland if you're thinking big upset, and perhaps Belmont/Wisconsin too. Cincinnati/Mizzou and Michigan/Tennessee could be fun in the west as well. Vanderbilt/Richmond could be this years 5/12 upset. There are a lot of 1st round games that could be close. Although I think there are a lot of games in general that will be close, the talent level isn't that widely dispersed.

Clemson has 0 top 50 wins, f***IN 0!!!! How the hell does someone with 0 top 50 wins make the field?!?!?!? And I understand the point your trying to make about the teams that didn't get in but Colorado is a HUGE snub. 5 wins against the top 50 including 1 against a top 4 seed and a road and neutral court win against KSU, to be honest, they should have been in pretty comfortably, it's absurd that they aren't in at all.

Washington is very dangerous but they're too small to hang with UNC imo. Oakland is going to be a popular pick(and for good reason) but they got a bad matchup against Texas, wouldn't be shocked if UT blows them out, on the other hand, who the f*** knows with Texas. The Richmond-Vandy game has given me more of a headache than any other matchup in the 1st round. I love Vandy's talent but I really like this Spiders team a lot as well, in the end I think Richmond can control the tempo and give Vandy another first round exit. Belmont over Wiscy isn't really an upset, that'll also be quite a popular pick.

The bolded is absolutely true.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 09:47 PM)
Clemson has 0 top 50 wins, f***IN 0!!!! How the hell does someone with 0 top 50 wins make the field?!?!?!? And I understand the point your trying to make about the teams that didn't get in but Colorado is a HUGE snub. 5 wins against the top 50 including 1 against a top 4 seed and a road and neutral court win against KSU, to be honest, they should have been in pretty comfortably, it's absurd that they aren't in at all.

Washington is very dangerous but they're too small to hang with UNC imo. Oakland is going to be a popular pick(and for good reason) but they got a bad matchup against Texas, wouldn't be shocked if UT blows them out, on the other hand, who the f*** knows with Texas. The Richmond-Vandy game has given me more of a headache than any other matchup in the 1st round. I love Vandy's talent but I really like this Spiders team a lot as well, in the end I think Richmond can control the tempo and give Vandy another first round exit. Belmont over Wiscy isn't really an upset, that'll also be quite a popular pick.

The bolded is absolutely true.

Colorado had a OOC SOS in the 300's and an 8-8 league record in a Big 12 that wasn't overwhelming. They have a lot of good wins yes, but they also have 13 losses, 7 to teams not in the tournament. I won't argue if you think they have the biggest complaint, but they could have done more for sure. Didn't realize Clemson has no top 50 wins. They do have 5 top 60 wins though (lol). UAB has one top 50 win (vs. VCU, #49), and they play in C-USA. VCU isn't quite as bad as UAB so I'll leave them alone, at least they did beat UCLA and got some good wins in a very respectable league. Still not sure if they should be in though.

Am I the only one who is having trouble getting excited for the first weekend of this tournament? I havent considered making a bracket yet and I just glanced at the opening lines. I find the opening weekend of the tournament as exciting as the first weekend of college football and Opening Day. But for some reason I just cant get hyped. I cashed out yesterday after the conference tournaments and I am contemplating if I want to even but forth the effort for this tournament or just wait til baseball starts up again before reloading my account.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 13, 2011 -> 10:26 PM)
And your fixation is on proving that MVC teams (you wish you could say ISU) are better than Illinois.

You don't put teams in the tournament based on "Did they live up to pre-season expectations?"

We disagree. I get it. No use in arguing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 01:09 PM)
My point is why aren't the four lowest seeded teams playing each other for the extra game? That doesn't make any sense to me.

They essentially are. They get in as two 12 seeds though. Then the winner plays the 5 seed.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 02:18 PM)
They essentially are. They get in as two 12 seeds though. Then the winner plays the 5 seed.

Yeah, but those are just the lowest picked teams, why not the worst four overall? I would say a team that earned a birth based on a whole season, versus just winning three or four straight games at end of a season deserves it more.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 01:25 PM)
Yeah, but those are just the lowest picked teams, why not the worst four overall? I would say a team that earned a birth based on a whole season, versus just winning three or four straight games at end of a season deserves it more.

Well, they added these extra slots to have more at-large teams in the tourney. The last at-large slots typically are seeded on the 12 line...thus their logic....

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 02:58 PM)
Didn't someone start a Soxtalk bracket group? Can't find it now.

Threres the ESPN one in the contest forum above.

Did you start one? Lets use yours as a pay bracket. I can take the responsibility of collecting the cash.