Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 08:04 AM)
I believe in the past for the play-in game, it wasn't recognized as a part of the NCAA tournament - players who only played in that game didn't get the same stuff and whatever as the other teams.

This is unfortunately the 1st round now. ESPN ran a stupid headline of the first #16 seed winning in the tournament yesterday when they beat the other #16 seed :stick .

However, if this format remains, it's always going to be the play-in games for me.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 08:08 AM)
This is unfortunately the 1st round now. ESPN ran a stupid headline of the first #16 seed winning in the tournament yesterday when they beat the other #16 seed :stick .

However, if this format remains, it's always going to be the play-in games for me.

Which is even dumber because it's not the first 16 seed to win a play-in game.

People hate Dukies, moreso than anything else, for being elitist snobs. Hill writing a piece like that in that form will do nothing to help that. Everybody seems to be jumping on Grant Hill's back here, but doesn't Jalen Rose get credit for being succesful too? And he wasn't exactly born into circumstances that anybody could do well in like Grant Hill was. I think both sides have a point in this debate. Being black and two parents and getting an education like Grant Hill is not a bad thing at all. But the success Jalen Rose has had coming from tougher circumstances can't be ignored either, and the fact is a LOT of people (black and white) feel the way about Duke that Jalen Rose did/does.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 01:45 PM)
People hate Dukies, moreso than anything else, for being elitist snobs. Hill writing a piece like that in that form will do nothing to help that. Everybody seems to be jumping on Grant Hill's back here, but doesn't Jalen Rose get credit for being succesful too? And he wasn't exactly born into circumstances that anybody could do well in like Grant Hill was. I think both sides have a point in this debate. Being black and two parents and getting an education like Grant Hill is not a bad thing at all. But the success Jalen Rose has had coming from tougher circumstances can't be ignored either, and the fact is a LOT of people (black and white) feel the way about Duke that Jalen Rose did/does.

Rose doesn't have a point at all. Just because Hill was given more than Rose had Hill is automatically a b**** for taking advantage of what he had? What is Hill supposed to do? Sit around at home and wallow in his parents' money? Jalen Rose came off as a total prick in that documentary. There's a reason why he was the most used interview. He was a controversial asshole the entire time.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 02:13 PM)
Rose doesn't have a point at all. Just because Hill was given more than Rose had Hill is automatically a b**** for taking advantage of what he had? What is Hill supposed to do? Sit around at home and wallow in his parents' money? Jalen Rose came off as a total prick in that documentary. There's a reason why he was the most used interview. He was a controversial asshole the entire time.

My point is this: everybody is sucking Hill's dick for the "amazing" editorial he wrote and is giving him credit for being a success. Doesn't Rose get credit for being a success coming from vastly more difficult circumstances? And Grant Hill comes across as a prick Duke elitist in that editorial too. I'm not sure why nobody is pointing that out. Does he make vaild points? Absolutely. Did he win every game he played in college against the fab 5? Of course. But he come across as an asshole in that piece.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 02:08 PM)
This reminds me of the Elton Brand e-mail exchange a few years back.

Indeed.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)
My point is this: everybody is sucking Hill's dick for the "amazing" editorial he wrote and is giving him credit for being a success. Doesn't Rose get credit for being a success coming from vastly more difficult circumstances? And Grant Hill comes across as a prick Duke elitist in that editorial too. I'm not sure why nobody is pointing that out. Does he make vaild points? Absolutely. Did he win every game he played in college against the fab 5? Of course. But he come across as an asshole in that piece.

Indeed.

Why? Because he articulated a good response? Does he come off as "too smart" for a black guy or something? I don't get it. I thought he could have taken more shots at Rose but he didn't. If someone called out me and my family, basically saying that I don't deserve praise for what I've done in my life (despite my clear success), I wouldn't have been as restrained as Hill was.

And how is Rose being ignored here? He was the focal point of a documentary celebrating the Fab 5 what they did to the college basketball world (and basketball generally).

I hate Duke and Duke alums, but I thought his response was not only well written but a necessary rebuttal.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 03:13 PM)

Rose was giving his feelings AT THE TIME when all of this was going on. Should he have lied? He was honest, direct, and easily the best contributor to the documentary. The most racist and hateful comments that happened during that time and also shown during the film was by the media and most of the general population.

Bruce Pearl will be fired as UT's head coach after the tournament. I've been thinking this would happen, but now it's looking more and more likely. I'm fine with it. I hate our style of play and always have. Pearl has done a lot of good things for this campus and community, but he lied and must suffer the consequences.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 07:54 PM)
Bruce Pearl will be fired as UT's head coach after the tournament. I've been thinking this would happen, but now it's looking more and more likely. I'm fine with it. I hate our style of play and always have. Pearl has done a lot of good things for this campus and community, but he lied and must suffer the consequences.

Is there an actual report or just speculation?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 08:05 PM)
Well look who came to their senses.

Well, yeah...

I originally defended him before all the facts came out. Once the official NCAA letter was released a few weeks ago, it made up my mind that he had to go. Plus, all you Illinois fans were pissing me off, acting like he was the worst human being to walk this Earth, so naturally, I was going to be a little defensive. I still stand by the fact that there are other coaches who have done much worse and are bigger sleazebags (e.g. Calipari), but they've gotten lucky and haven't been caught.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 08:16 PM)
Is there an actual report or just speculation?

Just speculation, but it's pretty solid speculation. A week ago on one of the Tennessee pay sites (247sports), our best beat writer posted on the "member-only" message board that he thinks Pearl will be gone. Today our AD was asked if Pearl would be back, and he said they're still looking at the situation. The fact that he didn't defend Pearl is pretty telling.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 08:19 PM)
Well, yeah...

I originally defended him before all the facts came out. Once the official NCAA letter was released a few weeks ago, it made up my mind that he had to go. Plus, all you Illinois fans were pissing me off, acting like he was the worst human being to walk this Earth, so naturally, I was going to be a little defensive. I still stand by the fact that there are other coaches who have done much worse and are bigger sleazebags (e.g. Calipari), but they've gotten lucky and haven't been caught.

No, sorry but screw Bruce Pearl. Calipari has never f***ed with a recruit via phone call, recorded it, jacked with the tape to make it look like another school cheated, and sent it to the NCAA because he lost out on a recruiting battle. Sore loser, slimy scumbag. He should be banned like Sampson from Indiana and Oklahoma.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 09:09 PM)
No, sorry but screw Bruce Pearl. Calipari has never f***ed with a recruit via phone call, recorded it, jacked with the tape to make it look like another school cheated, and sent it to the NCAA because he lost out on a recruiting battle. Sore loser, slimy scumbag. He should be banned like Sampson from Indiana and Oklahoma.

Pearl was definitely in the wrong regarding the Illinois situation. It was a low thing to do. But it was 20+ years ago. Let it go. It didn't affect the program like most Illinois fans claim it did.

Illinois fans are pissed b/c they think the program would have been "Duke-esque" over the last 20 years if they hadn't gone on probation due to the NCAA investigation that stemmed from Pearl's allegations. Literally, I have been told by Illinois fans that you guys would have been as good as Duke if Pearl hadn't brought on the NCAA investigation.

Well, guess what? If Illinois hadn't been cheating, they wouldn't have gotten in trouble. Pearl should not have brought light onto the program with the Deon Thomas accusations, but Illinois was still committing multiple NCAA violations and it's their fault for that. They deserved what they got.

I do agree with you on one thing. Pearl should be suspended from coaching for at least a year (maybe two) for his violations.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 11:15 PM)
Pearl was definitely in the wrong regarding the Illinois situation. It was a low thing to do. But it was 20+ years ago. Let it go. It didn't affect the program like most Illinois fans claim it did.

Illinois fans are pissed b/c they think the program would have been "Duke-esque" over the last 20 years if they hadn't gone on probation due to the NCAA investigation that stemmed from Pearl's allegations. Literally, I have been told by Illinois fans that you guys would have been as good as Duke if Pearl hadn't brought on the NCAA investigation.

Well, guess what? If Illinois hadn't been cheating, they wouldn't have gotten in trouble. Pearl should not have brought light onto the program with the Deon Thomas accusations, but Illinois was still committing multiple NCAA violations and it's their fault for that. They deserved what they got.

I do agree with you on one thing. Pearl should be suspended from coaching for at least a year (maybe two) for his violations.

This has nothing to do with Illinois. Pearl's actions should have resulted in a lifetime ban regardless of who he tried to frame. Any Illinois fan that says they would have been "Duke-esque" is an idiot. Illinois is not, was never, and will never be a top echelon basketball school like they evidently believe.

But back to Pearl, he does his little crybaby, feel bad for me press conference and then commits a blatant violation 4 days later. The guy is pure scum. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Whose fault is it when the NCAA gets fooled a thousand times by the same guy?