Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

This phrase appears in the AD's statement on the Pearl firing:

During this time, the dynamics of our case with the NCAA have evolved further, including additional violations committed on September 14 and in March 2011.
WTF did Pearl do in March?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 10:17 AM)

I just read that email and was thinking the exact same thing. Assuming it's true, what complete stupidity by Pearl.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 09:17 AM)

If I recall correctly, that's when the NCAA report came out. It found additional violations that Pearl never disclosed to anyone, including the school (allegedly).

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 06:51 PM)
For a basketball program like Tennessee, that's awesome. That Elite 8 appearance was the first in school history. He took us to a #1 ranking two years ago (though it was short-lived). If you average a Sweet 16 every 3 seasons at UT, you're doing well... Actually, I'd venture a guess that a lot of programs would be happy with the results Pearl got at Tennessee. In the last 6 seasons, how many schools have been to two Sweet 16's and an Elite 8? Probably no more than 20. That leaves 300+ other D1 programs that didn't accomplish that.

My comment had nothing to do with comparisons to other schools, i just though he did better thats all.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 01:56 PM)
My comment had nothing to do with comparisons to other schools, i just though he did better thats all.

Part of the reason you're right is that with the players he had, he could/should have done better. Between Hopson being inconsistent and the guys who were suspended/removed from the team last year for driving with an unregistered gun with the serial number removed last year, he should have had more than he won.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 08:17 AM)

Can't confirm this, but word is that he gave some extra tickets to a player's family for the game against Kentucky.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 01:44 PM)
Can't confirm this, but word is that he gave some extra tickets to a player's family for the game against Kentucky.

The Andy Katz writeup on ESPN says this too, they gave him an unauthorized player pass.

the way I look at all of it, Pearl did a bunch of stupid little things, got caught doing one of them, lied about it, admitted it, then went out and got busted doing another stupid little thing(visiting a recruit at Oak Hill Academy) and the AD didnt like where it was all headed.

If he would have just admitted all these stupid little things in the first place he would still be head coach IMO

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 02:05 PM)
The Andy Katz writeup on ESPN says this too, they gave him an unauthorized player pass.

the way I look at all of it, Pearl did a bunch of stupid little things, got caught doing one of them, lied about it, admitted it, then went out and got busted doing another stupid little thing(visiting a recruit at Oak Hill Academy) and the AD didnt like where it was all headed.

If he would have just admitted all these stupid little things in the first place he would still be head coach IMO

That pretty much sums it up... If he had admitted to the first secondary violation rather than lie about it, he would have gotten an Izzo-like punishment and would still be the coach.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 08:34 PM)
ISU is rumored to be taking yet another transfer (more than likely). Since we've run out of Spartans to take on, I wonder who it could be.

Keep taking players from the Big Ten.....Jereme Richmond?

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 10:31 AM)
Yup, Katz has taken the bold step of predicting Anderson goes to Arkansas.....unless he stays at Mizzou.

This whole story is incredibly frustrating. I stopped following it because people were so sure Anderson was signing an extension. In fact, ESPN reported that and now they're saying he's likely going to Arkansas. So I'm supposed to believe them now because?

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 05:16 PM)
And Mizzou is looking at Cuonzo Martin.

How on earth did you find this out before me? The announcement isn't even official on Anderson and they already have a rumored name? Geez, the coaching carousel is intense.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 09:34 PM)
ISU is rumored to be taking yet another transfer (more than likely). Since we've run out of Spartans to take on, I wonder who it could be.

Hopefully its Barlow from Purdue. I mean, who wouldn't want this guy?

barlow3.jpg

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 06:17 PM)
How on earth did you find this out before me? The announcement isn't even official on Anderson and they already have a rumored name? Geez, the coaching carousel is intense.

I go to Purdue, and Martin played and coached here for years. That's just the rumors, but it won't surprise me one bit.