Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 01:11 PM)
UT will dumb down their list after nearly every one of those guys decline. Hell, the national board on Rivals has UT fans running rampant thinking Brad Stevens will take the job. Thats hilarious.

No intelligent Tennessee fan thinks Stevens will leave Butler. Don't let the crazies in our fan base fool you...

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 08:26 PM)
Anything that puts another Big 12 school in rebuild mode while ISU stays quiet for an offseason is fine by me.

Mizzou has a lot of seniors coming back. Even if a couple younger guys leave via transfer, they'll still be heavily expected to make the tourney. In fact, next year was supposed to be the best year under Anderson (in my eyes). That's what makes this really brutal.

NIU hires MOntgomery, one of Izzo's assistants.

This is the type of hire I would love for SIU to get. A long time assistant at a big program looking to start being a head coach. Don't care if we are a stepping stone.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 10:25 AM)
Dont fool yourself Brian, its going to be Lusk(who also interviewed for NIU)

Yeah I think there is a pretty good chance Lusk goes to SIU after next year. I am absolutely thrilled with the Montgomery hiring, think we did well there. We have access to Chicagoland players, a great arena/facilities, and a winnable league in the MAC (and more specifically, the MAC West, our crappy division). Honestly, the setup is better for our basketball program than our football program, and our football program is pretty good. I think getting a guy like Montgomery at least shows I'm not crazy to think the basketball program here has a good bit of potential. The program is a mess right now, but the tools are there to win with the right coach. I think Montgomery will have the program in a good place in a few years.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Rumors that GT has offered Brian Gregory the job, but that makes no sense at all and goes against everything the AD has stated and what insiders are reporting. The consensus amongst GT insiders is that Mooney will be named coach on Monday.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 08:34 AM)
I think it is a good idea for Sullinger to stay, especially with the uncertainty of the CBA, to stay in school for another year. There is a very good chance, more so than even the NFL, that there will be games lost next season in the NBA.

He'd be crazy to stay in school if he's a top 5 pick with his type of game. He's not like a Derrick Williams or Kyrie Irving where most people look at him and see a really good NBA player, so it's possible scouts sour on his game the longer he's in school. CBA uncertainty exists, but if you go and are a top 5 pick, you're going to get paid quite well.

"I'm going to be an Ohio State Buckeye next year," Sullinger said, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "Winning is that important to me. I don't like losing. This is not what I came here to do."

Sullinger said seeing Ohio State's seniors distraught after Friday's loss to Kentucky was not the way he wants his college career to end.

"This is not what I came here for, to sit here and see my seniors crying," Sullinger said. "I came here to win a national championship, to see them celebrate. I wanted to tears of joy with these guys."

Sullinger, who is projected to be a top five pick in the NBA draft, made it clear that his mind is made up.

"I'm a man of my word. Period. Point blank," he said.

While some may think Sullinger's words are just a knee-jerk reaction to a devastating loss, Ohio State coach Thad Matta said that Sullinger promised him two years before he came to the Buckeyes.

"He told me from Day One he'd be back for two years," Matta said. "He said, 'Draw me up a contract, whatever you want me to do, I'll sign it.' With him, his freshman year was as good as I've ever seen a freshman have. I think all the things he learned this year, with a great off-season, I have no doubt he'll be the best player in college basketball."

I think that sounds like a good kid to me, not an idiot.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 11:52 AM)
He'd be crazy to stay in school if he's a top 5 pick with his type of game. He's not like a Derrick Williams or Kyrie Irving where most people look at him and see a really good NBA player, so it's possible scouts sour on his game the longer he's in school. CBA uncertainty exists, but if you go and are a top 5 pick, you're going to get paid quite well.

But it's not like the NFL where the money as a top-5 pick is astronomically larger than being the 12th pick. There is a legitimate chance there will be no NBA season in 2011-2012, so he would be doing nothing and making no money in that situation. Playing another year in college might be the safest move here. So what if he drops to 10th in the draft in 2012, he probably would get on a better team, in a better situation, being counted on for less and might end up having a better career because of it.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 06:16 PM)
So, what kind of jobs will Brad Stevens get now?

One trip to the Championship with Heyward, then a Final Four appearance without him.

None of the jobs available should even interest him. He can wait until one of the better jobs in the country is available. He's got a great gig going for him at Butler and there's no reason to bolt for an average BCS job.

In my opinion, the only schools that Stevens will touch are:

Indiana

Ohio State

Michigan State

Duke

UNC

Kansas

UCLA

My reason is that he probably wants to remain nestled somewhere in the Midwest, hence the Big 10 schools. The top two Big 10 schools now (Michigan State/Ohio State) and the school Stevens probably grew up a fan of (Indiana). And the other four are what I would call the Big 4 in college hoops that he would have to seriously consider. I excluded Kentucky because they will be on probation when that job opens up. And Duke looks like it might be the job opening up first. I figure, Coach K wants to get 1,000 wins and then he will call it quits. But that's still three or four years away, and even then, you would have to figure Duke would hire from either within the program or a former Duke guy. I personally believe he will be in the Big 10 eventually.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 07:34 PM)
In my opinion, the only schools that Stevens will touch are:

Indiana

Ohio State

Michigan State

Duke

UNC

Kansas

UCLA

My reason is that he probably wants to remain nestled somewhere in the Midwest, hence the Big 10 schools. The top two Big 10 schools now (Michigan State/Ohio State) and the school Stevens probably grew up a fan of (Indiana). And the other four are what I would call the Big 4 in college hoops that he would have to seriously consider. I excluded Kentucky because they will be on probation when that job opens up.

None of those schools sans maybe Indiana and UCLA need him.

I'd consider Tennessee if I was him - depending on the NCAA stuff.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 06:39 PM)
None of those schools sans maybe Indiana and UCLA need him.

I'd consider Tennessee if I was him - depending on the NCAA stuff.

I don't doubt that, but the best schools usually have the top coaches. Crean is cleaning up on the recruiting trail, too.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 26, 2011 -> 07:34 PM)
My reason is that he probably wants to remain nestled somewhere in the Midwest, hence the Big 10 schools. The top two Big 10 schools now (Michigan State/Ohio State) and the school Stevens probably grew up a fan of (Indiana). And the other four are what I would call the Big 4 in college hoops that he would have to seriously consider. I excluded Kentucky because they will be on probation when that job opens up. And Duke looks like it might be the job opening up first. I figure, Coach K wants to get 1,000 wins and then he will call it quits. But that's still three or four years away, and even then, you would have to figure Duke would hire from either within the program or a former Duke guy. I personally believe he will be in the Big 10 eventually.

If there was a guarantee that NBA basketball would happen next year...Coach K to the Lakers might be a possibility, but he's not leaving Duke only to have a lockout happen.