The September Call Ups

Quin

We all know Thornton and Putz are coming back.

I'd say Viciedo and De Aza as well, but the ones I can't figure out or Dolsi for another BP arm, Flowers to be the 3rd catcher, and Morel and Danks for defense. I'd assume no on D2, but Morel, with the way he's been hitting, I don't know.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 07:26 PM)
In talking with Morel, he basically said they told him he isn't being called up. He has Teahen, Vizquel, Lillibridge, and Viciedo all who are ahead of him, plus he is currently playing with a torn labrum. I would be shocked if they wouldn't just let him go home and start the healing process.

He's not on the 40-man anyways.

Reed on the roster should bring us $40,000 in additional revenue.

Just joking, Balta.

FWIW, this whole Ramirez thing, it might be TOO little too late, but, AS LONG AS WE DON'T USE IT AS AN EXCUSE FOR SPENDING MONEY NEXT YEAR, then I'm fine with it.

Marquez used to be a possibility, doubt it anymore. Santeliz? Relievers are one area where we really need to improve, but where there's an obvious organizational weakness.

Southside, who is that girl underneath your name?

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 12:22 PM)
I'd be in favor in bringing up as many bullpen arms as possible.

Do we still have Aquino? How did he do this year?

Santeliz is another pitcher I wouldn't mind bringing up just to eat innings.

Oh, and Nunez, too.

This might be a separate conversation for another day, but does anyone else think that expansion of the roster in September is a bad idea? I get how its good for bad teams that are out of the race, it makes it easier to get your rookies playing time and see what they are all about. When there are two teams battling for a playoff spot, and for 5 months they have to use a 25-man roster the entire team. You have to manage that roster each and every game to make sure your pitching arms don't wear out, your hitters stay fresh, etc. All of a sudden, as the race goes down to the wire, you are allowed to call up 15 more guys if you so please. I know most of those guys aren't that good, but having all those fresh bodies on the bench can definitely make a difference, especially in an extra inning game, and we all know one game can make the whole difference in a season.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 05:31 PM)
This might be a separate conversation for another day, but does anyone else think that expansion of the roster in September is a bad idea? I get how its good for bad teams that are out of the race, it makes it easier to get your rookies playing time and see what they are all about. When there are two teams battling for a playoff spot, and for 5 months they have to use a 25-man roster the entire team. You have to manage that roster each and every game to make sure your pitching arms don't wear out, your hitters stay fresh, etc. All of a sudden, as the race goes down to the wire, you are allowed to call up 15 more guys if you so please. I know most of those guys aren't that good, but having all those fresh bodies on the bench can definitely make a difference, especially in an extra inning game, and we all know one game can make the whole difference in a season.

I'm not sure I see the downside in your post....

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 05:43 PM)
I'm not sure I see the downside in your post....

LOL, just a lot of incoherent rambling???

I just think that if you play with a 25-man roster for 5 months, you shouldnt just change to a 40-man roster come September. It should stay the same all season for competition sake. The extra players can swing the division, either by a competitor's roster or a spoiler team having the extra players to steal a win.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 06:03 PM)
LOL, just a lot of incoherent rambling???

I just think that if you play with a 25-man roster for 5 months, you shouldnt just change to a 40-man roster come September. It should stay the same all season for competition sake. The extra players can swing the division, either by a competitor's roster or a spoiler team having the extra players to steal a win.

Well, then it should speak to a team's minor league strength then if they can actually get help from those 15 extra minor leaguers.

I think it's great for the game. Fun for fans who have a s***ty major league team, but exciting minor leaguers, and good for the contending teams to keep their stars fresh for the playoffs. No one wants to see players dragging ass into October and having their whole season ended because of tired, banged up players.

cst_sox - Sox will call up Infante, DeAza and Flowers tomorrow now, according to Sox PR. Viciedo in Boston and Torres in Detroit.

That's P Gregory Infante, does anyone have any info on him?

Edited by robinventura23