Sox @ Indians

Heads22

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Manny deal is completed in time for today's game, I would like to see the following lineup.

LF Pierre

SS A. Ramirez

DH M. Ramirez

1B Konerko

RF Quentin

CF Rios

2B Beckham

C Pierzynski

3B Vizquel

I know it'll never happen, but I think it's time Gordon was moved up to more of an RBI position in the lineup.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 12:03 PM)
If the Manny deal is completed in time for today's game, I would like to see the following lineup.

LF Pierre

SS A. Ramirez

DH M. Ramirez

1B Konerko

RF Quentin

CF Rios

2B Beckham

C Pierzynski

3B Vizquel

I know it'll never happen, but I think it's time Gordon was moved up to more of an RBI position in the lineup.

AJ has been on fire lately, I'd keep him higher up.

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 12:14 PM)
Here's what it'll look like

Pierre

Vizquel

Rios

Konerko

Manny for 1 AB, Kotsay for 3, and if there's time Jones for 1

Quentin

AJ

Ramirez

Beckham

If Manny doesn't hit 3rd, fire Ozzie. It will show a lack of any sort of semblance of baseball knowledge.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 12:17 PM)
If Manny doesn't hit 3rd, fire Ozzie. It will show a lack of any sort of semblance of baseball knowledge.

But I'm sure he doesn't want to upset Rios and his what...2 HRs in the last 3 months?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 12:27 PM)
I think Manny can hit 3rd or 5th.

Id probably go 5th because Id rather Manny was driving in Rios then Rios was driving in Manny.

Rios has an OBP of .285 since the ASB. He's basically putting up Kotsay numbers since the break while getting to bat 3rd.

Edited by BigSqwert

Im fully aware of statistics.

I just think that Manny batting 5th makes a lot more sense than Manny 3rd.

Just the way the White Sox use their 1-2 hitters doesnt make me love Manny at 3rd. Id rather him 5th where he can protect Konerko and focus on hitting, not on whether Ozzie is having guys steal, etc.

Manny has never really batted 3rd or 5th, most of his career has been at 4. Either way I dont think 3 or 5 is going to make a large difference.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 12:34 PM)
Im fully aware of statistics.

I just think that Manny batting 5th makes a lot more sense than Manny 3rd.

Just the way the White Sox use their 1-2 hitters doesnt make me love Manny at 3rd. Id rather him 5th where he can protect Konerko and focus on hitting, not on whether Ozzie is having guys steal, etc.

Manny has never really batted 3rd or 5th, most of his career has been at 4. Either way I dont think 3 or 5 is going to make a large difference.

I just want to make sure our best hitter gets the most plate appearances per game as possible. Batting 3rd would ensure that.

There is more to making a line up than just putting the best hitter where hell get the most at bats. If that was the only consideration why not hit Frank Thomas lead off?

Manny at 3 guarantees him more at bats. But does it guarantee him more at bats with men on base? How does it impact the line up? Those are the questions I ask when I think about how I want the team set up.

Manny at 5 will protect Konerko, who is having the best season of any Sox hitter. It will also most likely give him the most opportunities with RISP.

Batting 3rd with Pierre and Vizquel will give him a lot of 1 to 2 out men on 2b. Batting 5th will potentially set up bigger innings. Youre not going to walk Konerko to get to Manny, you very well may walk Konerko to set up a dp with Rios.

Its a lot of small things but I think Manny in the 5 to start is not that crazy of an idea.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 12:37 PM)
Lineup optimization suggests your 5th best hitter bat 3rd, fwiw.

Not necessarily. Best hitter should hit 4th. 3rd and 5th hitters should be of similar quality. First and second hitter should be of similar quality. Your third and fifth hitters could be your second and third best hitters. In our lineup's case, that's probably what's going to happen.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 11:45 AM)
Manny at 5 will protect Konerko, who is having the best season of any Sox hitter. It will also most likely give him the most opportunities with RISP.

Paulie also hits for average and gets a lot of singles to go with his homers. When he's on first, its nice to have a power behind him as he'll rarely score on a double or go 1st to 3rd on a single. Manny can hopefully drive him from 1st to home often with several of the 40 homers he's going to put up in the next month. :cheers

Also, if Rios has both Paulie and Manny hitting behind him. he's going to get better balls to hit. It could be just whats needed to get him back to peak performance levels.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 01:48 PM)
BNightengale

#mlb #whitesox #dodgers Manny waited for deal to be finalized before leaving for Cleveland. Flight lands tonite, but too late for game.

:angry:

For the love of god we're running out of games. Fly his ass out on a private jet.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 01:51 PM)
For the love of god we're running out of games. Fly his ass out on a private jet.

If he's in LA, figure the earliest he could even be on the plane is an hour from now, 3pm CT. That's 1pm LA time, 4pm Cleveland time. Its a 4+ hour flight, that makes it 8pm CLE before he even lands. 9pm earliest arrival at the stadium. Manny would have to have gotten on a plane (any kind of plane) by 10:30am LA time (12:30pm here) to have even had a shot at it.