Here's an idea

hi8is

Give the ball in the ninth to the hot hand.

Yes, he's a rookie with only 6 weeks of minor leauge experience.

Yes, he's only pitched like 16 innings in the bigs.

Yes, he's thrown a lot of innings this year between college and the majors.

Really thou - what other choice do we have?

It'll never happen - but right now, Chris Sale is the only person in the ninth that I'd feel confident about.

Bring on the hate.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 04:15 AM)
I'd give Santos a try before him.

And even after this horrible outing, I say Bobby should still be the closer given the current state of the bullpen.

Santos???

Yucky yucky yuck yucks.

Fantom- hate.... My thumb must not be on the pulse of soxtalk

:)

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 10:15 PM)

And even after this horrible outing, I say Bobby should still be the closer given the current state of the bullpen.

Despite what I just saw in the 9th inning, I completely agree with you. All things considered, the truth is that the only way the Sox win the division is with Jenks closing out games for them in September. (or with them winning every game by 6 runs once Mannypalooza starts)

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 10:11 PM)
Hate? I think everyone agrees with you, but they know it's not going to happen. Can't really say I blame the Sox, as they have an idea of how often they want to use him.

This post pretty much sums up how I feel as well.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 11:25 PM)
Bobby has always been terrible with 3+ inning saves, stick with Bobby at this point... any word on Thorton? I know he was retroactive, so he should be eligible this week. Any chance of seeing him soon or does he need more time?

I thought he was always terrible in 1+ inning saves.

Maybe you mean 3+ outs?

Especially the next outing after a save attempt when he's been extended over multiple innings, it's almost always a disaster.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 11:37 PM)
I thought he was always terrible in 1+ inning saves.

Maybe you mean 3+ outs?

Especially the next outing after a save attempt when he's been extended over multiple innings, it's almost always a disaster.

yes, I meant 3+ outs, thanks for the catch. He's always been terrible at those if memory serves me correctly, so the K in the 8th was awesome, but I had a feeling that 9th was coming.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 10:15 PM)

I've felt the same was as you and I suppose I still do, but really, how many times can we keep saying this? Feels like dude's cost us 6-7 games already. It's too bad; he used to be BAAAAAD.

Fine time for the bullpen to be in shambles as every game is vital and no lead is safe! Sale still seems to be a mystery to the rest of the league and he throws strikes. Let him close a game or two and see what happens it can't be any worse than Jenks. Bobby was in a similiar situation in"05. I know I said before stick with the plan and dance with the guys you brought but I can't watch Jenks blow another game.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 07:32 AM)
I was wondering the same thing. Seems as if he will be gone for 2 weeks legitimately at least?? Could be more I suppose....

Putz pitched in the game on August 24th, even if it was only 3 pitches, so he couldn't be put on the DL retroactive to anything. I think he can't be back before Sept. 9.

I wouldn't mind Sale getting the occasional save. He is the best healthy pitcher in the bullpen. However, I don't think the Sox will make him the full-time closer because they wouldn't be able to limit his appearances that way. It's probably best that they continue to use him in high-leverage situations (as they have since his debut).

This bullpen was one of the best in baseball until about 2-3 weeks ago. Then the injuries and implosions came in full force.

That said, Thornton is back this weekend, and probably Putz shortly after. And bullpens go through pains like this. I am highly confident that this bullpen will get back on track very soon, but for one man - Bobby. I am just not sure about him.

Thing is, his velocity is still there, but it looks to me like he is STILL trying to be a precision pitcher, instead of just throwing the damn ball. His 95-98 FB has life to it, and his curveball is very solid. If he just threw those two pitches, into the catcher's spot, I really think he'd be his old self.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 10:15 PM)
Santos will not be the closer this season. Ozzie has ZERO confidence in him due to the infamous "wall" he believes Santos has hit.

Santos has hit the wall. He has absolutely sucked the past couple of appearances he has made. Walks, hits, etc. The grand slam to Betancourt, getting touched up by the Orioles, he has not been getting the job done and deserves no shot at closing

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 11:50 PM)
yes, I meant 3+ outs, thanks for the catch. He's always been terrible at those if memory serves me correctly, so the K in the 8th was awesome, but I had a feeling that 9th was coming.

I had a feeling that 9th was coming because it was Bobby Jenks on the mound.

Unfortunately, I likely would have had the same feeling if it were any other White Sox reliever.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 09:30 AM)
Thing is, his velocity is still there, but it looks to me like he is STILL trying to be a precision pitcher, instead of just throwing the damn ball. His 95-98 FB has life to it, and his curveball is very solid. If he just threw those two pitches, into the catcher's spot, I really think he'd be his old self.

I dunno...there were plenty of pitches in the 9th yesterday that absolutely sailed. I can't believe he didn't throw a WP with 2 outs and the runner on 3rd, he threw one over AJ's head and then the next one 3 feet outside and AJ had to jump to save both of them.