8/31 Games

Ozzie Ball

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 31, 2010 -> 09:55 PM)
Morel says "September call-up? Nah, I'm good dominating here in Charlotte"

3/5 with a 2B, his 24th double in just 80 games in AAA.

I like Morel a lot, had him higher on prospect lists than others in the last few, and I think he's got a real shot at being the Sox 3B next year.

That said, the guy has a torn labrum, and the Sox have a pretty big stack of 3B's right now, so keeping him home to get extra rest in the offseason is the right move.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 09:07 AM)
I like Morel a lot, had him higher on prospect lists than others in the last few, and I think he's got a real shot at being the Sox 3B next year.

The only way Vizquel isn't in that spot on opening day is injury or retirement.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 09:30 AM)
I could easily see the club deciding that Morel has the job, Vizquel is the utility IF and more importantly, infield coach. They slowly transition the job to Morel.

Only if Omar tells the team he doesn't want to play 100 games next year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 08:31 AM)
Only if Omar tells the team he doesn't want to play 100 games next year.

You are quickly becoming part of the paranoid crowd. Omar did not play regularly when the season opened - it took Teahen both sucking in the field and getting hurt for that to happen. Ozzie is aware that Omar's biggest value going forward will be helping the infield, not starting.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 09:21 AM)
You are quickly becoming part of the paranoid crowd. Omar did not play regularly when the season opened - it took Teahen both sucking in the field and getting hurt for that to happen. Ozzie is aware that Omar's biggest value going forward will be helping the infield, not starting.

Has he said this?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 12:29 PM)
He said going into the season that one of the major reasons they brought him in was for guidance for Alexei and Gordon, and until Teahen's injury, Vizquel was only starting occasionally. So basically, yes.

And yet...after Teahen's injury...Ozzie correctly saw that having Vizquel in the lineup was producing better results than having Teahen in there. As such...Vizquel has become a regular and Teahen is competing for at bats with Kotsay. This is not to say it's been the wrong decision...Vizquel's .285 average, even if it's a weak .285, has been almost a godsend for this team.

Ozzie's going to look at the year Vizquel has had this year and unless Omar decides he doesn't want to come back, he'll start next year with a plan to start something like 100 games

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 11:29 AM)
He said going into the season that one of the major reasons they brought him in was for guidance for Alexei and Gordon, and until Teahen's injury, Vizquel was only starting occasionally. So basically, yes.

I remember him saying how Vizquel was not the reason that alexei improved so I guess I doubt that Vizquel was really brought in for that.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 12:54 PM)
I remember him saying how Vizquel was not the reason that alexei improved so I guess I doubt that Vizquel was really brought in for that.

Yeah, he gave all the credit to Joey Cora, who is, non-coincidentally, a candidate for every open managerial spot. Ozzie just helping out his buddy Joey Cora.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 12:54 PM)

That was later. Ozzie changed his mind.

I hope Ozzie doesn't really think Omar is likely to hit .285 again in 2011.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 08:07 AM)

That said, the guy has a torn labrum, and the Sox have a pretty big stack of 3B's right now, so keeping him home to get extra rest in the offseason is the right move.

Where is the link to his torn labrum...I googled it and it only refers to Soxtalk and forums that got it from Sox talk. Seems as if Soxtalk got it from his face book page?

QUOTE (michelangelosmonkey @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 03:52 PM)
Where is the link to his torn labrum...I googled it and it only refers to Soxtalk and forums that got it from Sox talk. Seems as if Soxtalk got it from his face book page?

That was the original source, yes. Not sure if its been documented elsewhere, since he is electing to play throough it.

QUOTE (michelangelosmonkey @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 03:52 PM)

Yes, I think I broke the new *swish* after I talked to him for a little bit.

:headbang lol.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 06:07 AM)

Not any more since Beckham's hand and Teahens defense both suck.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 03:04 PM)
That was later. Ozzie changed his mind.

I hope Ozzie doesn't really think Omar is likely to hit .285 again in 2011.

Just like you really hoped Ozzie didnt use DWise in the leadoff position, or Kotsay as a DH, or Vizquel at DH, or Erstad as a fulltime player.

Ill believe it when I see it.