Konerko....

Paulie4Pres

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see Paulie back here next year, and for a few years for that matter.

Looking at his HR numbers, I would think he would need about 5 more years for 500 HRs. I wonder if he'd make it. I would think it would be possible, especially if he transitioned to a DH.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 02:23 PM)
I don't watch the Rangers and I know the numbers, but I still have a hard time believing that Josh Hamilton is really having a better year than Konerko. Konerko has been everything for this team.

Look at the numbers, Hamilton's are pretty gaudy, and Hamilton plays on a first place team. The ONLY shot Paulie has is if Hamilton slumps his AVG down around .330, and the Sox win the division. Those two happening are pretty unlikely.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 02:23 PM)
Here's the list of guys currently on statues:

Frank Thomas will have his there next year.

Paul Konerko has been on this team for 11+ years now. He keyed a world series run and was the ALCS MVP that year, He's basically 2nd on the White Sox career offensive production list right now (HR, RBI) behind the Hurt, he produced more than several of the guys with statues already.

His statue is assured.

I didn't say I agreed with our current set of statues either. I just think Paulie is really on the fence IMO.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)
Do you disagree with my point?

I do. I agree that this has been his best year. But we're not talking Jose Bautista here. All PK did from '04-'06 was put up a slash line of .291/.372/.540/.912. Averaged 39 HRs and 110 RBIs those years as well. When healthy, PK has been pretty damn consistent. That said, I'm still hesitant to dish out multiple years at a minimum of 10 million (probably looking at 12) to somebody his age.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 02:25 PM)
Look at the numbers, Hamilton's are pretty gaudy, and Hamilton plays on a first place team. The ONLY shot Paulie has is if Hamilton slumps his AVG down around .330, and the Sox win the division. Those two happening are pretty unlikely.

I've looked at the stats and I know Paulie won't get MVP. I just have a hard time imagining Josh Hamilton having as many clutch hits or carrying the team the way Konerko does. I feel like he is numbers without substance. Cabrera on the other hand I can see.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 03:28 PM)
I've looked at the stats and I know Paulie won't get MVP. I just have a hard time imagining Josh Hamilton having as many clutch hits or carrying the team the way Konerko does. I feel like he is numbers without substance. Cabrera on the other hand I can see.

Hamilton's numbers improve when it is close and late. 1.164 OPS in high leverage spots.

Texas also has Michael Young, Kinsler, Cruz, Guerrero, Andrus, they've got more offensive talent overall than the White Sox...but no way Konerko wins the MVP unless we win like 32 games in a row (Paulie with a consecutive games hitting streak during that entire time), Konerko ALSO catches Bautista for the HR crown and Hamilton falls off or gets injured like Quentin in 2008.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 02:28 PM)

How could you say that when you probably haven't (I'm assuming) seen a single Rangers game this year, save for when we play them?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 02:27 PM)
I do. I agree that this has been his best year. But we're not talking Jose Bautista here. All PK did from '04-'06 was put up a slash line of .291/.372/.540/.912. Averaged 39 HRs and 110 RBIs those years as well. When healthy, PK has been pretty damn consistent. That said, I'm still hesitant to dish out multiple years at a minimum of 10 million (probably looking at 12) to somebody his age.

yeah, it will be interesting to see how they handle PK this year. I think Danks will be the lynchpin for the Sox offseason, they'll make a push to resign him and if not I think they'll move him, and if they resign him I think E-Jax and Gavin will be in play for trade.

Also, the market will be up in the air again, I don't see a major jump in FA dollars outside Crawford and Lee getting mega-deals, so I think a lot still has to play out, I'm sure KW has Plan A, B, C, D, etc...

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 02:28 PM)

Well, I do agree that Hamilton has a better cast around around him offensively. Vlad Guerrero is having a monster season (.300 AVG, 25 HR, 100 RBI already), and it doesn't hurt to have one of the best 2B in baseball on your team either. Paulie has been more valuable to us, sure, but I don't think the voters will weigh that as much as we would like. If anything, Paulie's valuableness to this team is washed out by Hamilton's "rags to riches" story.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 01:26 PM)
I didn't say I agreed with our current set of statues either. I just think Paulie is really on the fence IMO.

It's not like they were putting players like Pods and Crede out there.

Buehrle and Konerko are the 00's White Sox, period. You could have made an argument for Ordonez had his career continued here, and that's basically it.

There's no Ron Kittle statue, or Bill Melton, Dick Allen, etc., I think they've done a very good job with their selections.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 02:31 PM)
Texas also has Michael Young, Kinsler, Cruz, Guerrero, Andrus, they've got more offensive talent overall than the White Sox...but no way Konerko wins the MVP unless we win like 32 games in a row (Paulie with a consecutive games hitting streak during that entire time), Konerko ALSO catches Bautista for the HR crown and Hamilton falls off or gets injured like Quentin in 2008.

I generally agree with this. But one thing to keep in mind is that Cruz and Kinsler have spent a considerable amount of time on the DL this year. And Vlad has slowed down a lot since the break. Andrus is having a decent year. Young has been fantastic. But Hamilton has clearly been the man over there. Unless something crazy happens, the MVP should be his.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 01:32 PM)
yeah, it will be interesting to see how they handle PK this year. I think Danks will be the lynchpin for the Sox offseason, they'll make a push to resign him and if not I think they'll move him, and if they resign him I think E-Jax and Gavin will be in play for trade.

Also, the market will be up in the air again, I don't see a major jump in FA dollars outside Crawford and Lee getting mega-deals, so I think a lot still has to play out, I'm sure KW has Plan A, B, C, D, etc...

I don't think anyone would feel too happy if Konerko's money went to Carlos Pena, would they?

Hopefully Kendry Morales comes back at 100%.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 02:13 PM)
Looking down the road, is it a forgone conclusion that we'll see a picture of Paulie on the wall with a statue of his on the concourse?

How BA would it be if the picture they use was him with his arms up after the WS granny....mmmmm

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 02:32 PM)
How could you say that when you probably haven't (I'm assuming) seen a single Rangers game this year, save for when we play them?

I've seen the Rangers play maybe 8 or 9 times this year which although hardly anything to judge off of, Hamilton just doesn't do it for me. Which is strange because usually I'm in love with anyone putting up those kind of numbers.

BA's "hunnies" have already petitioned for an image on the CF wall immortalizing his catch to end Game 163.

Some religious freedom groups will protest Hamilton's selection because Hamilton fired his original Jewish agent (Sosnick) because "God told him to" in a dream/prayer/revelation/epiphany he had after he became a born-again Christian.

That's a bit of a strange story if you read more about it.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 03:43 PM)
BA's "hunnies" have already petitioned for an image on the CF wall immortalizing his catch to end Game 163.

Huh?

I think that the use of the "BA" earlier in this thread was an abbreviation for bad-"think you're using to sit on your chair".

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 02:25 PM)
I'd like to see Paulie back here next year, and for a few years for that matter.

Looking at his HR numbers, I would think he would need about 5 more years for 500 HRs. I wonder if he'd make it. I would think it would be possible, especially if he transitioned to a DH.

He's definitely one of those guys who could stick around long enough to reach that milestone.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 02:46 PM)
He's definitely one of those guys who could stick around long enough to reach that milestone.

It depends where he ends up signing, if he resigns with the White Sox or another hitter friendly park for the rest of his career he has a shot I guess, but say he signs with the Mets or Atlanta or another team with a bigger park, then he has zero chance IMO.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)

You mean....this game?....

p1030402d.jpg

When some guy hit this ball on to the Fan Deck?.....

p1030449q.jpg

And then BA made that awesome catch which resulted in this?.....

p1030490.jpg

:headbang :headbang

Edited by JoeCoolMan24