Chris Sale Appreciation Thread (FIRE KEITH LAW)

caulfield12

The most impressive thing is that he pitched over the most made-to-order DP in the history of the game and didn't blink or make excuses, then let the game get away from him. You know Carlos Zambrano would have flipped out there.

He was aiming the ball a little bit after the 2 walks, his radar readings then were "only" 93-94-95 (versus 95-100, consistently 97).

What's most impressive is his ability to already control a much better slider than Thornton...and from what everyone says, his change-up might be his best pitch, and he's not even using that out of the bullpen.

I realize Chapman and Henry Rodriguez with Oakland are getting a ton of hype too, but I can't think of two more impressive arms joining the White Sox (E-Jax, too) in the span of 2-3 months that didn't exist at the beginning of the season in our imaginations.

A lot of scouts would take Chapman over Sale, and there are going to be concerns about his durability because of his slight frame and his mechanics/delivery...but we should just enjoy it while it lasts.

Sale took down the toughest hitter on the Indians in Choo and Ozzie/Cooper had their faith in both Santos and Sale. Proves that Ozzie will trust a rookie, although the choice was pretty obvious to most.

Right now, with Jackson, Danks, Floyd, Buehrle, Peavy and Sale, we have a combination of the the best six potential starters collected anywhere in MLB. There's no debate about it. Quite a turnaround from June 9th when many thought our talent was in the bottom 5-10 teams in MLB.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 02:16 PM)
The most impressive thing is that he pitched over the most made-to-order DP in the history of the game and didn't blink or make excuses, then let the game get away from him. You know Carlos Zambrano would have flipped out there.

He was aiming the ball a little bit after the 2 walks, his radar readings then were "only" 93-94-95 (versus 95-100, consistently 97).

What's most impressive is his ability to already control a much better slider than Thornton...and from what everyone says, his change-up might be his best pitch, and he's not even using that out of the bullpen.

I realize Chapman and Henry Rodriguez with Oakland are getting a ton of hype too, but I can't think of two more impressive arms joining the White Sox (E-Jax, too) in the span of 2-3 months that didn't exist at the beginning of the season in our imaginations.

A lot of scouts would take Chapman over Sale, and there are going to be concerns about his durability because of his slight frame and his mechanics/delivery...but we should just enjoy it while it lasts.

Sale took down the toughest hitter on the Indians in Choo and Ozzie/Cooper had their faith in both Santos and Sale. Proves that Ozzie will trust a rookie, although the choice was pretty obvious to most.

Right now, with Jackson, Danks, Floyd, Buehrle, Peavy and Sale, we have a combination of the the best six potential starters collected anywhere in MLB. There's no debate about it. Quite a turnaround from June 9th when many thought our talent was in the bottom 5-10 teams in MLB.

Good post.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 02:16 PM)

He used the change to a couple of the righties today. I hadn't noticed it before, but it was definitely a change and not a slider.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 02:41 PM)
Whatever it was, I guess at 85-87, those pitches had to be change-ups?

They were definitely change ups. Confused the hell out of the first batter with it as I'm sure it's not even on the scouting report yet as he never uses that pitch.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 02:41 PM)
Hmmm....

Whatever it was, I guess at 85-87, those pitches had to be change-ups?

I could only tell from the MLB.com AT BAT images...so Sale's slider is a hard breaking one like Liriano's that's 89-92 MPH? No wonder everyone is worried about an injury with that kind of torque.

Not sure on the torque, but I've been following him on gameday while watching and his slider moves a lot differently. It's a 84-87 mph pitch like the change, but the p f/x is only a few inches while the change drops similar to his fastball.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 03:41 PM)
I could only tell from the MLB.com AT BAT images...so Sale's slider is a hard breaking one like Liriano's that's 89-92 MPH? No wonder everyone is worried about an injury with that kind of torque.

Really...he reminds me an awful lot of 2006 Liriano in his raw stuff. He needs some control work to reach that point...but that's the kind of "stuff" he's bringing to the table. He could well be better if he has a better change.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 02:47 PM)
Really...he reminds me an awful lot of 2006 Liriano in his raw stuff. He needs some control work to reach that point...but that's the kind of "stuff" he's bringing to the table. He could well be better if he has a better change.

His scouting report said plus fastball, plus change, plus control, average slider that's tough on lefties. The slider seems better and the control seems worse than that, but I think a large part of the control is that he went from college to MLB hitters in a few months. Maybe he's having trouble consistently finding his slot coming out of the bullpen. There are so many factors that could be messing with his control. I think it's reasonable to expect that improves for next season with more work.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 08:16 PM)

Great post caufield, especially the last paragraph about the 6 potential starters. Hopefully it will all click next season and we'll run away with it.

I like the post but can't help but see the reluctance to believe this is real or will last. He is a great comleemnt in the pen to Thornton, but to say he has anything better than Matt may be a stretch at this point. He is very good and will get better whether he is in the pen or made a starter

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 03:56 PM)
He needs to learn some control first before I start doing back flips.

I think part of the "Control issue" with Sale is just that this is his first exposure to hitters of any level other than the college level. In college, his stuff was so far ahead of the hitters that people would still swing at things outside of the zone, whereas now they're being more patient.

That said...his college numbers suggest these control issues aren't going to dog him long term. Last year, between college and the Gulf Coast league, he walked 23 batters in 158 innings. Read that again.

After today in the bigs he's walked 7 batters in 10 innings. If you run that ratio to 158 innings, that's a 110 walk pace. He's walking people right now at nearly 5x the rate he did in college. That's as good of an argument as I can possibly make that this is going to be a temporary thing for him.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 02:32 PM)
sale's been great. is the assumption that he'll start back in the minors next year at say, AA, to transition back into a starting role?

I would assume he would get stretched out in ST, and then start the year in AA starting until a starter goes down.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 03:32 PM)
sale's been great. is the assumption that he'll start back in the minors next year at say, AA, to transition back into a starting role?

I think he's going to be giving a shot to win a starting job next year, and KW will trade Danks this winter.

QUOTE (kane0730 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 04:40 PM)
I think he's going to be giving a shot to win a starting job next year, and KW will trade Danks this winter.

If that happens...it doesn't just give him "a shot" to win a starting job...it basically gives him a starting job...unless someone else is signed as a FA.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 03:41 PM)
If that happens...it doesn't just give him "a shot" to win a starting job...it basically gives him a starting job...unless someone else is signed as a FA.

And this is assuming the medical reports look positive on Jake.

By the way...one thing that we've gotten repeatedly from KW since 2005 is that he clearly seems to think you can't have too much pitching. Every year he hasn't come into the season with "too much starting pitching" he's been burnt on it. I can't fathom kenny starting the year with Peavy, Floyd, Buehrle, Jackson, and Sale, with no obvious backup option.