Chris Sale Appreciation Thread (FIRE KEITH LAW)

caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)
By the way...one thing that we've gotten repeatedly from KW since 2005 is that he clearly seems to think you can't have too much pitching. Every year he hasn't come into the season with "too much starting pitching" he's been burnt on it. I can't fathom kenny starting the year with Peavy, Floyd, Buehrle, Jackson, and Sale, with no obvious backup option.

That's why he'll bring somebody in the Freddy pay range, and let Sale battle it out. The rotation is far too expensive and something will have to give.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 04:49 PM)
I've thought about this...but really, I can't see KW giving up 2 years of D1 for 1 year of Fielder at a higher cost. It's just not like him.

If he trades Danks, which I wouldnt put past him, it would be for an impact bat now with at least one high upside prospect. Danks is one of the better young lefties in the league and is signed relatively cheap (arbitration) for two more years. He should rightfully command a boatload for him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 03:49 PM)
I've thought about this...but really, I can't see KW giving up 2 years of D1 for 1 year of Fielder at a higher cost. It's just not like him.

Maybe if Jackson keeps this up, he'll sell Jackson high. If their rotation returns next year, its going to handcuff KW in the bullpen & line-up.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 04:53 PM)
If he trades Danks, which I wouldnt put past him, it would be for an impact bat now with at least one high upside prospect. Danks is one of the better young lefties in the league and is signed relatively cheap (arbitration) for two more years. He should rightfully command a boatload for him.

Here's the problem though...the Brewers, for example, don't have any high upside, upper minor league arms right now. If they did they'd probably already have them in the majors. Their top pick last year, Eric Arnett (who some here were interested in) has an ERA of nearly 7 this year. Another of their pitchers is working on his 2nd drug suspension (100 days).

QUOTE (kane0730 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 04:55 PM)
Maybe if Jackson keeps this up, he'll sell Jackson high. If their rotation returns next year, its going to handcuff KW in the bullpen & line-up.

I think KW might well find it nearly impossible to trade Jackson. Teams will be skeptical of a 1-2 month performance...Jackson is a FA after next year which will reduce the price other teams would offer, and frankly...teams are going to be extra unwilling to be the 4th team to trade for the guy in 3 years and the 5th to have him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 04:58 PM)
Here's the problem though...the Brewers, for example, don't have any high upside, upper minor league arms right now. If they did they'd probably already have them in the majors. Their top pick last year, Eric Arnett (who some here were interested in) has an ERA of nearly 7 this year. Another of their pitchers is working on his 2nd drug suspension (100 days).

I honestly don't think the Brewers are even a candidate. As you said, I doubt KW goes after a guy with only 1 year left like a Fielder. I'm not speculating on anyone specific, but I think it'd have to be someone with multiple years left, in addition to a prospect or two.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 02:04 PM)
He is a great comleemnt in the pen to Thornton, but to say he has anything better than Matt may be a stretch at this point.

He's got better overall stuff than Matt and a much better slider, that's not a stretch it's just the truth. Doesn't mean he's a better pitcher at this point but his stuff is certainly better.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 03:42 PM)
Yeah, I really think Kenny is going to be shopping Danks all off-season, and hopefully for a legit OF.

Trading Danks would be dumb as f***, especially since we have control over him cheaply for another 2 years. I repeat, dumb as f***.

Sale may be a reliever in the future.

With his mechanics you could risk an injury like Strasburg if he is pitching 100+ pitches. Conversely as a reliever you may get 10+ years of success.

I think the Sox are going to have to make a difficult decision.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 07:42 PM)
He is going to be expensive through arbitration, and we have potentially 7 starters next year (if you include Freddy).

He'll be cheaper than Peavy, Ejax, and Buehrle. He's a top of the rotation guy and one of the best young lefties in the league. You keep him until starts demanding the Lester deal and either you give it to him if he is worth it or you trade him at the deadline. Freddy wont be back most likely and Sale is then your Hudson in waiting.