Ozzie Keeping Sox In Race Without a Bullpen

Marty34

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 4, 2010 -> 12:44 AM)
Except it isn't "giving away a free out". More often than not, they are successful.

More often than not? And how is that quantified, exactly? I'm not really talking about sac bunts btw I'm talking about blowing outs on the basepaths, Rios burning up outs, etc. If that happens early in the inning it very well could be a run. Also this doesn't necessarily have anything to do with Ozzie, but it does piss me off when he has the MLB steals leader on first (with a good sb% to boot) and Ozzie bunts him over for no reason.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 3, 2010 -> 10:45 PM)
Huh? So you throw '05 in my face and choose to ignore the fact the Colts won the SB 4 years ago? They still get that label? Sure.

1000% Sure. See 2008-9 post seasons. One and done. They got that label again going into 2010. Read the Indy Star or watch ESPN when the guys who have a man crush on Brady respond.

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 4, 2010 -> 04:58 AM)
Gardenhire leading the Twins to their 6th division title without an MVP candidate and the second best closer of the last half decade. Just a tad more impressive than Mr. "I makes da f***ing lineup."

My guess is if Gardy managed the Sox, he'd be ripped big time as well.

Well, the Broncos, Bills and Cleveland Browns had that reputation for a long long time, as well as the KC Chiefs and Minnesota Vikings.

I don't see the Twins getting past TB without the homefield advantage, Morneau and now Kubel's looking shaky. But there's a better chance they beat Tampa than the Yankees in the first round, and they do seem to match up more evenly with the Rays.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 3, 2010 -> 11:28 PM)
The Twins need to get it over with and just win the WS.

If they faceplant again in the playoffs, it'll be the same scenario again next season. You are right. They will roll to the title again with Nathan and Morneau.

The Sox will have to do some tinkering again before next season.

If Teahen is our starting third baseman, that's enough to assure second place in itself.

Did Mark's dog s*** on your lawn or something?

Teahen's offense won't kill us at 3B, but his defense might. Same with Viciedo.

If you look at all the reasons why our team "suddenly" started playing up to its potential, you'd have to list Omar and Alexei's defense, pitching from Gavin/Danks/Buehrle and the bullpen (until recently) as three of the main components of that success.

Maybe it's not fair to pick on Teahen, his stats since he came back are very good, actually...despite the lack of power. The question is he can he actually play 3B for a full season and put up an 800-850 OPS? History shows it's unlikely.

Now Joe Crede wasn't doing that either, but you combine a 750 OPS and Gold Glove level defense along with a reputation for clutch hitting, that's definitely workable.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 4, 2010 -> 12:44 AM)
Except it isn't "giving away a free out". More often than not, they are successful.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statisti...x.php?cid=68778

Here's a run expectancy table for 2010. Note how even assuming the sac bunt moves the runner 100% of the time, your expected run total decreases.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 1, 2010 -> 04:04 PM)
I don't know how the hell he's doing it, I just hope he keeps it up.

Hi Oney. Weren't the Sox something like 7-13 their previous 20 games before getting to play Cleveland? Isn't Cleveland pretty much an awful team? Ozzie's done a decent job, but giving him all the credit means you have to give him all the blame if things don't go as planned.

Ozzie bashing seems to the the sport, but I love the guy. He is very unpredictable, which is WHY he is a great manager. It's hard to read his moves. Sometimes he bunts, sometimes he swings away, sometimes he has an early hook, sometimes he leaves guys in...there seems no rhyme or reason for his managing at times, which tells me Ozzie is using his gut instincts and not just merely following a template of 'when' to do/not do something. Baseball has become so regimented and predictable that it can at times get mundane...with oz it never does.

Oh yea, the guy wins too...

Count me as one who likes Ozzie as much as any coach in any sport the city of Chicago has EVER had (that I have personally seen coach/manage)....Halas and Jackson are probably the most successful ever, but I never saw Papa Bear coach and Phil Jackson had the best player in the history of the sport.

I know you are all going to get mad at me, but we are talking bullpen and I can't believe the lack of support on here for Bobby Jenks.

I mean my gosh, you would think the guy is a f***ing Linebrink.

He has AGAIN stabilized our closing situation.

Today he saved TWO games against the f***ing Boston Red Sox.

Yet in the game threads people want to kill Jenks.

I just don't f***ing get it.

People, say you hate his goatee. Say you hate his excess 30 pounds. But give the man some f***ing credit ... please!!!

Yay, Bobby Jenks hasn't spectacularly blown up since a little while ago!

That's about all the enthusiasm I can muster right for him right now, when I look at him I don't see "the past 5 days" I see "2010." It's not 2 years ago, and I still feel uneasy when I see him come out, like another 3-run collapse is just another inning away.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 5, 2010 -> 07:29 AM)
Yay, Bobby Jenks hasn't spectacularly blown up since a little while ago!

That's about all the enthusiasm I can muster right for him right now, when I look at him I don't see "the past 5 days" I see "2010." It's not 2 years ago, and I still feel uneasy when I see him come out, like another 3-run collapse is just another inning away.

You guys slay me. You sometimes act like getting a f***ing save in Boston before a sellout is easy. He got two. No credit.

Uh, Putz failed.

That one game Sergio got lit up.

Uh Thornton got abused on the road in that one stretch.

Yet, Bobby. No credit. Amazing. And you guys just don't see it. It just slays me.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2010 -> 03:33 AM)
You guys slay me. You sometimes act like getting a f***ing save in Boston before a sellout is easy. He got two. No credit.

Uh, Putz failed.

That one game Sergio got lit up.

Uh Thornton got abused on the road in that one stretch.

Yet, Bobby. No credit. Amazing. And you guys just don't see it. It just slays me.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore;_ylt=...F?gid=300830105