Ozzie Keeping Sox In Race Without a Bullpen

Marty34

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 03:04 PM)
the twins are 28-10 in their last 38. Honestly, it's a friggin' miracle we aren't more than 4 back.

the Sox were 38-13, then 5-11, now 7-4 in their last 11. One bad 16 game stretch seems like it will do us in.

And just like the Sox 38-13 run was bound to end, so is the Twins' run. I just hope it happens soon enough.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 08:13 AM)
People have short memories. Until about 3 weeks ago, the Sox had one of the best pens in the game, and that was part of why they were even IN the race. Now lately, the Sox offense has been on fire - and that has kept them from completely imploding.

I will say this in defense of Ozzie though - throughout his career managing the Sox, he's actually been quite good at handling his pitchers (nto perfect, but no manager is). This amazes me, because he's never pitched, and he handles his position players poorly. I'd have to think he is taking a lot of queues about the pitching from Coop, but who knows.

The pen would have been in way better shape if it hadn't have been for injuries to Putz and Thornton. These things obviously didn't just happen when they went on the DL.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 3, 2010 -> 10:58 PM)
Gardenhire leading the Twins to their 6th division title without an MVP candidate and the second best closer of the last half decade. Just a tad more impressive than Mr. "I makes da f***ing lineup."

Twins with ANOTHER come from behind victory in the late innings. That team is a bunch of turds.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 3, 2010 -> 11:47 PM)
You dispute this? I won't go as far to say he's "killing" us. But he's not helping either.

What exactly is wrong with Ozzie's lineups? the team has been hitting the s*** out of the ball.

It's a miracle this team wasn't buried in May and that's partly because of Ozzie.

You guys that hate Ozzie are going to have to put up with him another season. He's not going anywhere.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 4, 2010 -> 12:21 AM)
What exactly is wrong with Ozzie's lineups? the team has been hitting the s*** out of the ball.

It's a miracle this team wasn't buried in May and that's partly because of Ozzie.

You guys that hate Ozzie are going to have to put up with him another season. He's not going anywhere.

Ozzie's tendency to waste outs leads MLB by a pretty wide margin (see BigSqwert's sig)

That obviously hasn't been killing the hitting, but it doesn't help at all either. Too many times the team ends up losing a baserunner who later would've scored, or they are in a position where they are forced to have to produce with a runner on 2nd and 2 outs when there should've only been one, etc.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 3, 2010 -> 11:21 PM)

I'm talking all season. And I know Ozzie's not going anywhere. The Twins will get Morneau and Nathan back and they'll anal rape us again next year. It's what they do.

The Twins need to get it over with and just win the WS.

If they faceplant again in the playoffs, it'll be the same scenario again next season. You are right. They will roll to the title again with Nathan and Morneau.

The Sox will have to do some tinkering again before next season.

If Teahen is our starting third baseman, that's enough to assure second place in itself.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 3, 2010 -> 11:26 PM)
Ozzie's tendency to waste outs leads MLB by a pretty wide margin (see BigSqwert's sig)

That obviously hasn't been killing the hitting, but it doesn't help at all either. Too many times the team ends up losing a baserunner who later would've scored, or they are in a position where they are forced to have to produce with a runner on 2nd and 2 outs when there should've only been one, etc.

Unless someone has a stat that talks about the runs created by the same activities, it is impossible to quantify if it has helped us or hurt us over the course of the season. Keeping track of just the negative numbers is an embarrassment of onesidedness in an age of any stat you want at your fingertips. That's some Keith Olberman type stuff right there.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 3, 2010 -> 09:58 PM)
Gardenhire leading the Twins to their 6th division title without an MVP candidate and the second best closer of the last half decade. Just a tad more impressive than Mr. "I makes da f***ing lineup."

Really? In today's world of modern sports, winning it all goes farther than winning divisions. They have a label for teams that only win divisions. For example:Colts have been labeled the "Atlanta Braves of the NFL". When you only win divisions, you get labeled "the Atlanta Braves". So the Twins are the Atlanta Brave of the AL.

If both managers were to switch teams, I doubt you see any noticeable difference.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 3, 2010 -> 10:33 PM)
Really? In today's world of modern sports, winning it all goes farther than winning divisions. They have a label for teams that only win divisions. For example:Colts have been labeled the "Atlanta Braves of the NFL". When you only win divisions, you get labeled "the Atlanta Braves". So the Twins are the Atlanta Brave of the AL.

Ya... it's not like the Braves or the Colts have won the World Series or the Super Bowl respectively before with those divisional wins or anything.. oh wait....

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 3, 2010 -> 10:28 PM)

If they faceplant again in the playoffs, it'll be the same scenario again next season. You are right. They will roll to the title again with Nathan and Morneau.

The Sox will have to do some tinkering again before next season.

If Teahen is our starting third baseman, that's enough to assure second place in itself.

Their talent falls short when they have to face the AL East in the post season. I tend to think they are more streaky than talented if you were to look at individual numbers.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 3, 2010 -> 11:33 PM)

If both managers were to switch teams, I doubt you see any noticeable difference.

I was speaking of this season. And I don't give a s*** about '05. Give me Gardenhire 10 times outta 10 over Ozzie.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 4, 2010 -> 12:30 AM)
Unless someone has a stat that talks about the runs created by the same activities, it is impossible to quantify if it has helped us or hurt us over the course of the season. Keeping track of just the negative numbers is an embarrassment of onesidedness in an age of any stat you want at your fingertips. That's some Keith Olberman type stuff right there.

How do you figure? What's better in a vacuum, a player with a .750 OPS or a player with a .820 OPS? You can't quantify the exact number of runs created by having a higher OPS but it's not like it's hard to tell which one you'd rather have, either. Given the choice between giving away a free out with one of the team's better hitters in the middle of a game I'd rather not... given the choice between a player who gets thrown out stealing unnecessarily often and staying on first more (or even better, only being sent to steal when it's advantageous to do so) I'd take not being thrown out.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Sep 3, 2010 -> 10:36 PM)
Ya... it's not like the Braves or the Colts have won the World Series or the Super Bowl respectively before with those divisional wins or anything.. oh wait....

The Colts still get that label. Just read the Indy Star. Despite that, division crowns are meaningless these days if a World Series is not involved with it.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 3, 2010 -> 10:38 PM)
How do you figure? What's better in a vacuum, a player with a .750 OPS or a player with a .820 OPS? You can't quantify the exact number of runs created by having a higher OPS but it's not like it's hard to tell which one you'd rather have, either. Given the choice between giving away a free out with one of the team's better hitters in the middle of a game I'd rather not... given the choice between a player who gets thrown out stealing unnecessarily often and staying on first more (or even better, only being sent to steal when it's advantageous to do so) I'd take not being thrown out.

I would agree 100% if that guy on base is Lillibridge.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 3, 2010 -> 11:38 PM)

Except it isn't "giving away a free out". More often than not, they are successful.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 3, 2010 -> 10:28 PM)

They don't have the starting pitching, which has been their problem for years. Sure they've had a good #1 or good potential #1 like Santana and currently Liriano, but afterwards, the level falls off alot. (and the Yankees owning their soul doesn't help either) Pavano is having a fluke year, so I'm sure that will carry over though (he has pitched well in the postseason before, though limited) and Blackburn is having horrid luck/year so that evens out a bit. This might be their best chance this year however. Liriano-Pavano-Slowey-Baker aint bad to throw out there. Their offense has never been this good, and this is without Morneau. If Nathan was healthy (we'll see how Capps performs in the post season) I would love their chances actually.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 3, 2010 -> 11:39 PM)
The Colts still get that label. Just read the Indy Star. Despite that, division crowns are meaningless these days if a World Series is not involved with it.

Huh? So you throw '05 in my face and choose to ignore the fact the Colts won the SB 4 years ago? They still get that label? Sure.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 3, 2010 -> 10:39 PM)

I'll remind Peyton Manning he is still being called a playoff choker, who can't get out of the first round then.