Ozzie Keeping Sox In Race Without a Bullpen

Marty34

This thread is about the bullpen! A couple cool people mentioned Jenks in the winner's thread. He got abused in the game threads again. What'd he do today. Put on one baserunner? I just can't believe Sox fans refuse to give credit to a guy when he helps the team win (and I never said ALL Sox fans; read the game thread).

Edited by greg775

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you fiercely object to the fact that you don't see people randomly singling Bobby out for praise because he's gone 3 games without blowing a save? That's... odd. People don't really do that especially since Bobby's gone thru this cycle about 3 times this year, at least.

I dunno... I guess I just don't get that, at all. I never get too high or too low unless a player is playing really bad for an extended amount of time or if he is playing really awesome for weeks at a time (Rios, Konerko, Beckham, Jackson, Floyd, etc.) and I don't even really post about routine everyday things in the winner threads. So right now, getting excited about Bobby kind of comes off like me being happy that he's not f***ing up. So I'm indifferent and I can pretty much see why nobody's saying anything after Bobby's hit so many valleys this year.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 5, 2010 -> 07:55 AM)
I dunno... I guess I just don't get that, at all. I never get too high or too low unless a player is playing really bad for an extended amount of time or if he is playing really awesome for weeks at a time (Rios, Konerko, Beckham, Jackson, Floyd, etc.) and I don't even really post about routine everyday things in the winner threads. So right now, getting excited about Bobby kind of comes off like me being happy that he's not f***ing up. So I'm indifferent and I can pretty much see why nobody's saying anything after Bobby's hit so many valleys this year.

Look, saving 2 games in one day is a big deal. AT BOSTON.

If few people want to give him credit and nobody else, fine. The bullpen has been a mess. Putz and Thornton and Sergio all have blown games and sucked.

Bobby was OUTSTANDING TODAY. So just take it for granted. Go ahead. Don't matter to me.

Yeah, it's a routine everyday thing to get two saves in one day in Boston and in the second game get four outs.

I don't know why it bothers me so. Hell, Bobby gets his 7 f***ing million dollars. He doesn't need my support. He gets to laugh all the way to the bank every time he gets a paycheck. Fans may hate his goatee and his excess 30 pounds. He gets the last laugh to the tune of 7 million dolares.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2010 -> 01:47 AM)
This thread is about the bullpen! A couple cool people mentioned Jenks in the winner's thread. He got abused in the game threads again. What'd he do today. Put on one baserunner? I just can't believe Sox fans refuse to give credit to a guy when he helps the team win (and I never said ALL Sox fans; read the game thread).

They only want to give credit to Ozzie and Kotsay for ruining the season.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2010 -> 04:02 AM)
Look, saving 2 games in one day is a big deal. AT BOSTON.

If few people want to give him credit and nobody else, fine. The bullpen has been a mess. Putz and Thornton and Sergio all have blown games and sucked.

Bobby was OUTSTANDING TODAY. So just take it for granted. Go ahead. Don't matter to me.

Yeah, it's a routine everyday thing to get two saves in one day in Boston and in the second game get four outs.

I don't know why it bothers me so. Hell, Bobby gets his 7 f***ing million dollars. He doesn't need my support. He gets to laugh all the way to the bank every time he gets a paycheck. Fans may hate his goatee and his excess 30 pounds. He gets the last laugh to the tune of 7 million dolares.

I'm certainly not remotely high on Bobby Jenks right now, but you're right that 2 1/3 innings with 2 saves in close games IN Fenway in one day is noteworthy.

Now, do I think this means Jenks has figured it out? Not by a long shot. But it's fairly remarkable. It'd be like if Quentin went 6 for 10 with 2 bombs yesterday; we'd probably say something, even if we didn't infer a trend in it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 5, 2010 -> 03:31 AM)
Exactly Kite. Drives me crazy. If Sergio had picked up 2 saves today they'd be saying it will be the thing that turns around our season.

Bobby does it ... yawn.

He did his job, and did it well. He pitched 2 innings and held them scoreless which is great. The Sox team let them score twice in 18 innings. No Youk, no Pedroia, no Ellsbury. When the schedule came out, you would have thought 7 against the Red Sox in September was almost unfair. Its turning into a blessing, although they are still better than Cleveland and KC and a Baltimore team the Sox had some trouble with.

The Sox need to win today. If Minnesota just plays .500, the Sox have to be 7 over just to tie the rest of the way. The getaway games after already taking the series are games except for that one hot streak, they have historically had trouble with. Beckett has been garbage. The correct color will win today.