Random Thought

GLOAD is GOD

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 05:17 PM)
In a vaccuum, Danks. But this team is looking deep in the SP department. With Buehrle-Peavy-Jackson-Floyd-Garcia-Sale all still here without Danks. Plus we had a flurry of pitchers pitch very well in the lower minor leagues this year. Chances are at least 1 of them will make the majors.

So to answer the question, this team needs an OF more than it needs a SP. So if I can get a guy that has put up great numbers his whole career outside of this season in which he was injured, then I'll take that.

You earlier mentioned how he has put up a WAR of 5 in three different seasons.

2004: 2.1

2005: 5.6

2006: 5.4

2007: -0.7

2008: 2.9

2009: 5.0

2010: 1.3

In the last 4 seasons, he has only put up a WAR that high once though, and prior to concussion he was healthy playing everyday and wasn't doing that much. $10 million for him? (If the Mets agree to pay that much?)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 05:41 PM)
I agree with everything except the fact that you mention Mark is declining. He seems to have been pretty damn consistent in his numbers the last few years now, including this one.

I guess you're right. Although Mark's K/BB rate is at a career low of 1.83. The rest of his peripheral stats remain pretty much the same.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 05:58 PM)
Joe I'm sorry but your trade is just volunteering to be raped. That trade is like the equivalent of offering Mark Teahen for Adam Jones and Brian Matusz. Why would the Orioles do that?

Right, because Mark Teahen has been a great player in his career right?

It's funny you guys act like Jason Bay has been a league average player over his career. Maybe you don't give him any credit because he played for Boston, or because he was traded for Manny, or some other irrational reason, but he has had a lot of great years over his career. He just happens to be having a bad year, and got injured. Maybe a player turns to suck after 1 year in your mind, but I am much more forgiving.

The over reaction and overrating of our players here is pretty laughable.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 08:26 PM)

It's funny you guys act like Jason Bay has been a league average player over his career. Maybe you don't give him any credit because he played for Boston, or because he was traded for Manny, or some other irrational reason, but he has had a lot of great years over his career. He just happens to be having a bad year, and got injured. Maybe a player turns to suck after 1 year in your mind, but I am much more forgiving.

Dude, you're normally a very intelligent poster but that trade offer is just absolutely awful.

Who the f*** is overrating players??? John Danks is a 25 year old lefty who barring a Sept. collapse, will have 3 straight seasons of at least 30 starts & an ERA under 4. How many pitchers like that can you find? No one is even arguing about Quentin either, so don't bring him up.

At the start of the 2011 season, Jason Bay will be a 32 year old outfielder who has had only one "star" season of his last 4. He is due $48 million over the next 3 years, and even if the Mets eat money as you propose, you still owe him $30 million over 3 years. Thats what you want?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 08:37 PM)
Speaking in general.

I can definitely agree that people here may overrate Sox players. But in this situation nobody here is overrating Danks, especially as compared to Jason Bay.

On a side note, I am a huge fan of Choo, and if I were the Indians, I would think the conversation starts/ends with Gordon.

Edited by LittleHurt05

Try claiming it was a really long joke/troll post instead of one of the worst trade ideas of all time.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 08:36 PM)
Try claiming it was a really long joke/troll post instead of one of the worst trade ideas of all time.

Nah, I'm good. I don't need to back down because I am the minority. I guess we will see in the end when Danks gets his next contract, and when Jason Bay returns healthy next season.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 04:56 PM)
What would you like to see instead? Number of balls bounced off head while playing RF?

A couple of people claimed I was silly for comparing the 2 offensively. Please show me that one is superior at the plate over the other.

The numbers are similar right now, I'll give you that, but Quentin's BABIP is an absurdly low .227, and his rest of season ZiPS projection puts his wOBA 26 points higher than Andruw's. Quentin should never wear a fielder's glove again, but he's a better hitter than his numbers this season show.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 09:34 PM)
Dear Lord this is the worst idea of all-time.

Why on Earth would we want a 32 year old with plummeting numbers who is unhealthy and costs $17 mill per for another 3 seasons? LET ALONE why would we want to trade one of the better young starters in baseball to obtain his services?

Danks and Quentin for Bay is very bad trade.

I still haven't given up on CQ. I still think he can rake at the plate. Danks is a frickin stud.

That's a way overpay for Bay.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 09:58 PM)
Nah, I'm good. I don't need to back down because I am the minority. I guess we will see in the end when Danks gets his next contract, and when Jason Bay returns healthy next season.

Bay had been healthy all year before the concussion and he still sucked

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 09:58 PM)

Yeah the BoSox were absolutely desperate to bring him back into the fold for this year but just didn't have the luck. But by all means, a 25 year old budding ace and a former MVP candidate at his absolute lowest value for an aging injury risk with a massive contract, it makes sense on paper cmonnnnn Kenny

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 09:59 PM)
Yeah the BoSox were absolutely desperate to bring him back into the fold for this year but just didn't have the luck. But by all means, a 25 year old budding ace and a former MVP candidate at his absolute lowest value for an aging injury risk with a massive contract, it makes sense on paper cmonnnnn Kenny

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 10:58 PM)
Did my post say something different?

Looking back at your posts, no, you didn't blame this season on his injuries. Either way, I hope one of us reopens this thread next September when Bay is in AAA Buffalo or he is leading the NL in HRs.