Random Thought

GLOAD is GOD

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 03:12 PM)
Explain your point, please.

I just think its an awful trade that makes the Sox much worse. I know CQ is struggling, but I don't really expect much from a 32 year old Jason Bay, especially after his awful season. I know you mentioned cash in the deal, but he is owed $16 mil for each of the next 3 seasons. How much cash do you really expect to get from the Mets? Better to spend money on giving Danks a big contract, then save money and get Jason freakin Bay for him.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 11:51 AM)
Just trade Danks and Quentin to the Mets for Jason Bay + cash.

Dear Lord this is the worst idea of all-time.

Why on Earth would we want a 32 year old with plummeting numbers who is unhealthy and costs $17 mill per for another 3 seasons? LET ALONE why would we want to trade one of the better young starters in baseball to obtain his services?

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)
Kind of bizarre stat choices, don't you think?

What would you like to see instead? Number of balls bounced off head while playing RF?

A couple of people claimed I was silly for comparing the 2 offensively. Please show me that one is superior at the plate over the other.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 03:56 PM)
What would you like to see instead? Number of balls bounced off head while playing RF?

A couple of people claimed I was silly for comparing the 2 offensively. Please show me that one is superior at the plate over the other.

I don't think people really understand how bad CQ has been this season. His WAR is 0.1. He's 145th out of 154 qualified every day players. I'll give him a little credit for that ridiculous three week stretch he had going into the break that helped get us back into the race. Other than that, he's been putrid, dreadful, deplorable, an abomination against nature. He's sunk so far into the baseball abyss of suckage that he's evoked images of Shawn Abner.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 03:34 PM)
Dear Lord this is the worst idea of all-time.

Why on Earth would we want a 32 year old with plummeting numbers who is unhealthy and costs $17 mill per for another 3 seasons? LET ALONE why would we want to trade one of the better young starters in baseball to obtain his services?

Jason Bay averages 30 HR, 105 RBI, .278 AVG, .374 OBP, .882 OPS. He has been worth 5 WAR or higher 3 times in his career. Quentin has never done that, and Danks has done it once (2008).

Now I can see why Danks + Quentin is an overpay due to Danks being only 25 years old, but I think Danks will be QUITE expensive in a year or two, and I wouldn't be too surprised if he becomes too expensive for Kenny. We currently have a surplus of starting pitching, and will need an OF and some power next season. Bay provides both. In this "scenario" the Mets would be paying us almost half of Bay's salary, so it would only result in us paying close to $10M a year for him which I believe will be close to what Danks would be seeking in a couple years anyway considering he will be just entering his prime when he is ready for a new deal.

Maybe you don't include Quentin in this deal, maybe you don't have to. But I guess I (and maybe others) value him so low right now that he was basically just a throw-in in this scenario to save more money and to give the Mets an OF in return.

I think it's fair to think it's not a good deal, I'll grant you your opinion, but to say it's the worst idea of all time means you REALLY over-value our players, or are just trying to make me look bad. Because if you honestly think this could be the worst deal of all time, then I seriously question your baseball knowledge.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 04:45 PM)
I think it's fair to think it's not a good deal, I'll grant you your opinion, but to say it's the worst idea of all time means you REALLY over-value our players, or are just trying to make me look bad. Because if you honestly think this could be the worst deal of all time, then I seriously question your baseball knowledge.

Uh. No. It's because I could not hate the idea of acquiring Jason Bay right now any more than I do, let alone trading a starter with the value of John Danks to get him. Bay is 33 next year, and set to make 17 mill per for each of the next three seasons. That is an AWFUL deal, and I said so when the Mets signed him to it. I'd much rather allocate those resources, if we had to, to locking up Danks rather than trading a player entering his prime to land someone so old, so expensive, and really, quite bad. Throw that 5 WAR crap out the window, dude's prime just done passed him by.

May God have mercy on your soul.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 04:49 PM)
Uh. No. It's because I could not hate the idea of acquiring Jason Bay right now any more than I do, let alone trading a starter with the value of John Danks to get him. Bay is 33 next year, and set to make 17 mill per for each of the next three seasons. That is an AWFUL deal, and I said so when the Mets signed him to it. I'd much rather allocate those resources, if we had to, to locking up Danks rather than trading a player entering his prime to land someone so old, so expensive, and really, quite bad. Throw that 5 WAR crap out the window, dude's prime just done passed him by.

You've been outstanding of late. When did your evolution occur?

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 04:45 PM)
Jason Bay averages 30 HR, 105 RBI, .278 AVG, .374 OBP, .882 OPS. He has been worth 5 WAR or higher 3 times in his career. Quentin has never done that, and Danks has done it once (2008).

Now I can see why Danks + Quentin is an overpay due to Danks being only 25 years old, but I think Danks will be QUITE expensive in a year or two, and I wouldn't be too surprised if he becomes too expensive for Kenny. We currently have a surplus of starting pitching, and will need an OF and some power next season. Bay provides both. In this "scenario" the Mets would be paying us almost half of Bay's salary, so it would only result in us paying close to $10M a year for him which I believe will be close to what Danks would be seeking in a couple years anyway considering he will be just entering his prime when he is ready for a new deal.

This season his splits are .259/.347/.402/.749 and he is not getting any younger. Don't blame that on his new spacious home park either, cause he hits much better there. Just because you are only paying 60% of Bay's salary doesn't mean you are getting a deal, he will still be overpaid. Would you really rather have Bay at $10 mil than Danks at $10 mil????

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 05:05 PM)
This season his splits are .259/.347/.402/.749 and he is not getting any younger. Don't blame that on his new spacious home park either, cause he hits much better there. Just because you are only paying 60% of Bay's salary doesn't mean you are getting a deal, he will still be overpaid. Would you really rather have Bay at $10 mil than Danks at $10 mil????

We trade Danks and we BETTER be getting a stud back. Be it a hitter or a pitcher. Jason Bay=epic fail.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 03:49 PM)

Try not to exaggerate everything please...

Bay is 31 right now, so to say "he will be 33 next year" is quite the slighted comment. He won't turn 32 until the end of this month.

And he will make $16M the next 3 years, not $17M. Which is irrelevant if we are paying $10M of it each year anyway.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 04:05 PM)

In a vaccuum, Danks. But this team is looking deep in the SP department. With Buehrle-Peavy-Jackson-Floyd-Garcia-Sale all still here without Danks. Plus we had a flurry of pitchers pitch very well in the lower minor leagues this year. Chances are at least 1 of them will make the majors.

So to answer the question, this team needs an OF more than it needs a SP. So if I can get a guy that has put up great numbers his whole career outside of this season in which he was injured, then I'll take that.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 05:17 PM)
In a vaccuum, Danks. But this team is looking deep in the SP department. With Buehrle-Peavy-Jackson-Floyd-Garcia-Sale all still here without Danks. Plus we had a flurry of pitchers pitch very well in the lower minor leagues this year. Chances are at least 1 of them will make the majors.

So to answer the question, this team needs an OF more than it needs a SP. So if I can get a guy that has put up great numbers his whole career outside of this season in which he was injured, then I'll take that.

Garcia? C'mon now. And Buehrle is declining and has one year left on his contract. Peavy is a major health Risk. We're nowhere close to knowing what we have in Jackson. And Sale, while ridiculously talented, is an unknown. The only sure things we have right now are Danks and Floyd. I'm not against trading either for a legitimate package. But this does not include Jason Bay.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 05:23 PM)
Garcia? C'mon now. And Buehrle is declining and has one year left on his contract. Peavy is a major health Risk. We're nowhere close to knowing what we have in Jackson. And Sale, while ridiculously talented, is an unknown. The only sure things we have right now are Danks and Floyd. I'm not against trading either for a legitimate package. But this does not include Jason Bay.

I agree with everything except the fact that you mention Mark is declining. He seems to have been pretty damn consistent in his numbers the last few years now, including this one.