White Sox could be 2 1/2 games back into possible SAT DH

caulfield12

http://www.weather.com

The Twins have to start, in all likelihood, AAA journeyman Alex Burnett on Friday night against the Rangers. Perkins isn't eligible to be brought back up yet and the other main candidate just pitched in Rochester.

FRI Alex Burnett/TBA versus D. Holland (2-2)

SAT Pavano (not moving up one game to start on 3 day's rest) versus Colby Lewis

SUN Blackburn (pitched one inning Thursday and took the loss) versus CJ Wilson

MON Liriano versus O' Sullivan

TUE Duensing (pitched two innings Thursday) versus Bullington

WED Slowey (he's eligible to come off DL as early as Monday) versus Greinke

Baker already has taken a cortisone show in the elbow and it looks like he'll miss at least one start, with Slowey likely rejoining the rotation.

I bolded the games I thought the Twins would lose, so 3-3 for them.

I'm going to be optimistic that we can take 2/3 from Boston (if we actually get all three games in) and 3/4 from Detroit. We all know how difficult DH's are to sweep for either team.

If we went 5-2, we could get the lead down to 2 games, but more likely it will be 3 if the Sox can go 4-3 (keeping in mind last year when we were faced with a similar trip, we went 2-8 and were summarily knocked out of the race, so we've already done better than that by sweeping CLE).

Remember, the Twins were 64-65 at this same time last year and still finished 11 games over .500.

In fact, their low point in September was 7 games back and at one point they sported a 70-72 record (5 1/2 GB at that point). As long as we stay within 5 games and take 2/3 from Minnesota at home, we can still win this thing. Granted, a sweep would be great, but I'm just counting on two for now.

Since Minnesota fans are already aligning their playoff rotation (Liriano, Pavano, Duensing) while it looks like Kubel might be out for awhile too, this is our chance to run down the Twins again when they're overconfident and already looking forward instead of in their rearview mirror.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/bl...L7PQLanchO7DiUr

That huge bullpen mistake by Gardenhire might prove to be the undoing of their season. At the least, it forces them to start someone they never imagined would take the bump for them in 2010 and makes them look like idiots for not bringing up more relief pitchers when the rosters expanded.

Crain must be sore after pitching 3 in a row and 40 pitches last night (probably won't pitch until Saturday but most likely Sunday), Capps was sore and held out last night, Fuentes has a sore back, Guerrier got rocked, it's looking doable.

Plus we get Thornton back to go with Sale, so we now have two relievers.

Edited by caulfield12

Love the optimism. The Tigers flipping the script last night and pulling it out, PLUS damaging the Twins bullpen, PLUS Baker going out with a tender elbow really changed things from dreadful to a glimmer of hope.

The Sox need to hold up their end of the bargain and make the Twins series in a few weeks one worth remembering

Boston on the road is the hardest series we have left. Meanwhile, the Tigers have been tough at home but have been reduced to playing a lot of their AAA positional guys. Overall i'd be pleased with 4-3 and thrilled with 5-2, and I think this team can do it. Getting back Thornton would be huge, getting back Beckham will be a big help as well.

QUOTE (daggins @ Sep 3, 2010 -> 10:20 AM)
Boston on the road is the hardest series we have left. Meanwhile, the Tigers have been tough at home but have been reduced to playing a lot of their AAA positional guys. Overall i'd be pleased with 4-3 and thrilled with 5-2, and I think this team can do it. Getting back Thornton would be huge, getting back Beckham will be a big help as well.

Boston's rotation is pretty damn good. Very imposing. I'd take 2 out of 3 if we can get that.

Matt "The Fabulous Mr." Fox will be starting tonight, but Burnett was recalled...Morneau to 60 day DL, but he still would be able to come back

Former 2nd round pick who's had major reconstructive surgery.

Righthander Alex Burnett, 0-2, 5.49 at Rochester: He spent a lot of time with the Twins earlier in the season, going 1-2, 4.39. Has a lot of talent and the Twins feel he can develop into a bullpen force. But he hit the wall at midseason - hard. And he's struggled with Rochester. He pitched two scoreless innings on Sunday.

Righthander Rob Delaney,7-9,4.73 at Rochester: He's on the 40-man roster, so it makes sense. His velocity jumped toward the mid 90's around midseason. Gave up a run on two hits and a walk in a third of an inning on Wednesday. He was non-drafted free agent in 2006.

Righthander Matt Fox, 6-9,3.95 at Rochester: The surprise pick. Fox has started and relieved for the Red Wings, and is 2-2, 3.07 over his last 10 outings. A great story. He was the 35th overall pick of the 2004 draft but shoulder surgery cost him all of 2005 and his fastball has never been the same. IIRC, it took a couple years for him to get his fastball out of the mid-80's (maybe not that long). He's had to learn how to pitch.

Fox is expected to start tonight against Texas.

startribune.com/sports (LaVell Neale)