Peter Smoking Crack

Wong & Owens

I doubt Giles would clear waivers, the Yanks, even the Sox and Twins, would probably claim him. His contract is very reasonable considering his production. In the off season I wouldn't doubt if KC makes a play for these 2. Beltran will probably be dealt, freeing up some cash, the only thing is they both have no trade clauses.

Doesn't Giles have a no-trade clause that he has already excercised when they tried to trade him to Oakland? He has said he will only waive it to go to a handfull of N.L. teams.

There's almost no way Giles moves in a trade now, because you can't place a package of Kendall and Giles on waivers now.

That was the only holdup with someone acquiring Giles - taking Kendall and his contract. That option really isn't there anymore

Sure it could happen and in a variety of ways. Guys are put on waivers at different times. Kendall should not be a problem getting through because of his contract. Giles may be claimed and if he is then SD can pull him back. They could then put him on waivers again (not sure how long you have to wait, but you can put a guy back through again) and SD could claim him. The Pirates could then allow Giles to go to SD on a waiver claim and then just complete the trade for Kendall as if it were the original deal.

There are certainly ways it could happen from that standpoint. I am not sure about any no-trade clauses Giles may have.

There's almost no way Giles moves in a trade now, because you can't place a package of Kendall and Giles on waivers now.

That was the only holdup with someone acquiring Giles - taking Kendall and his contract. That option really isn't there anymore

Sure it could happen and in a variety of ways. Guys are put on waivers at different times. Kendall should not be a problem getting through because of his contract. Giles may be claimed and if he is then SD can pull him back. They could then put him on waivers again (not sure how long you have to wait, but you can put a guy back through again) and SD could claim him. The Pirates could then allow Giles to go to SD on a waiver claim and then just complete the trade for Kendall as if it were the original deal.

There are certainly ways it could happen from that standpoint. I am not sure about any no-trade clauses Giles may have.

What i mean though is that Giles goes on waivers individually, regardless of Kendall going on or when he goes on. I highly doubt Giles would clear waivers, someone would claim him. Sure, the deal could happen if Giles and Kendall cleared waivers (kendall probly could), but i don't see Giles clearing waivers.

It's ALL over the radio in SD and LA, the Pads have the worst record in the NL and have first waiver claim. THEY are the one's getting Giles and Kendall. All they are working out now is how much the Pirates are going to pay of Kendall's contract that's left over.

The problem with that is the players coming back have to clear waivers. Nady and a couple of good cheap other guys are supposed to be going to Pittsburgh. Those guys won't clear waivers. I doubt MLB would let SD claim these 2 on waivers, and give Pitt. some players after the season circumventing the rules. It is Selig, however, anything can happen.