Frightening Discovery

knightni

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 8, 2010 -> 03:49 PM)
As far as Thome now, many of us are still upset that the Sox decided not to sign him, and seeing him play so well really grinds our gears.

Especially since he's doing it for the Twinkies, something many people predicted the moment he he signed there. That is how these things work. If he had signed in any other division it would be much easier to take. This way he has beaten us directly (inexcusable) and indirectly by helping the Twinks win games against other teams.

Nevertheless, he gone, and we either need to beat him, not let him beat us, or tip your cap.

I do predict that if we are somehow forced to let him bat against us in the deciding game, he will make us pay.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 8, 2010 -> 02:50 PM)
Whoa there, it's your tone; it's the wrong tone. When, during any of this pile of generalizations, was the condescending, high school tone necessary? I never liked Thome, you apparently did. In fact, I grew up disliking him on the Indians; you apparently didn't mind him those years. So he hit a few nice homeruns for the Sox over a pointless 4 years did he? Good for him. Good.....for........him (slow, sarcastic clap). I swear some of you act like Jim was Mr. White Sox; Mr. homegrown, glad to be home, king of the South Side. That's Buehrle, Konerko, Baines, Thomas territory that he has no business being in the same discussions with. He grew up a cub fan, played forever on the Indians, co-founder of CWS Corpseball, played on 4 meaningless Sox teams that didn't accomplish dick. What's the big deal? I don't think Thome was the missing piece this year; the first 2 months were. We disagree; why give your arguments that personal attack feel, man? I'm not understanding that avenue.

Corpseball was around long before Thome arrived.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2010 -> 12:41 PM)
Brian Anderson already killed this team enough while he was here.

You really hate Anderson, huh?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 8, 2010 -> 08:13 PM)
Would you let it go? Thome got plenty of praise when he was here, and he got plenty of s*** when he had his bad stretches, as any player for the White Sox does on this site. What do you want people to do, go back and alter their posts and heap tons of praise on the guy? Some people loved him(Kalapse), some people didnt care for him(Jerksticks). It is what it is. Asking something like what is quoted above is doing nothing but asking for an argument

You are telling ME to let it go when every thread turns into Thome? Ozzie? I will respond until I'm banned.

I expect people to drop the Thome schtick as I was told to drop the Jenks talk. If they bring it up you expect me to ignore it just because I could give a s*** if Thome was on our team or not?

It's old and we get it. Thome good; Kotsay/Jones bad.

Oh wait, just Kotsay bad. Most people seem to like Jones.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 8, 2010 -> 10:56 PM)
You are telling ME to let it go when every thread turns into Thome? Ozzie? I will respond until I'm banned.

I expect people to drop the Thome schtick as I was told to drop the Jenks talk. If they bring it up you expect me to ignore it just because I could give a s*** if Thome was on our team or not?

You arent responding, greg, you are stirring the pot. Asking that question isnt a response to anything, its a way of saying "Hey look at me, I was cheering for Thome, but all of you werent. Where are you now?"

OK, seriously cut the "poor me" thing. You're the victim, we get it. Yawn.

Thome and Jenks are completely different situations. Thome is a player that was very productive and that could have been had very cheaply, but the manager botched it an hindered the team. Jenks is an overpaid player who is under performing and isn't really helping the team. It is completely understandable that people defend Thome and bash Jenks.

QUOTE (CQMVP @ Sep 6, 2010 -> 09:42 PM)
Not only would Thome have been an upgrade for the Sox at DH, we would have kept him AWAY from the Twins, which I think is the bigger picture that most people here are missing. If Thome isn't on the Twins, the Sox are probably in first place right now. :huh:

Not bringing back Thome could turn out to be the deciding factor in us not winning the central. Especially if the Twins squeek it out by a game or two. I'd say it's a big deal, but whatever. :huh

Agreed!! Without Thome in Minnesota and/or still here, we would be in first. I love Jim Thome, but would have been fine bringing him back or not. What I don't understand, is why we didn't sign him back as soon as we heard the twins were interested (that is not up for debate, that's a fact he was going to sign here or Minnesota). Plus as soon as I heard the Twins had a short porch in Right Field in the new stadium, I really wanted him back.

Will probaly tie with the Twins & have to play 163rd game. Hopefully Thome doesn't do as well as his last game 163!

Edited by soxfan-kwman

QUOTE (shrek @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 04:00 PM)
Thome and Jenks are completely different situations. Thome is a player that was very productive and that could have been had very cheaply, but the manager botched it an hindered the team. Jenks is an overpaid player who is under performing and isn't really helping the team. It is completely understandable that people defend Thome and bash Jenks.

My point was that both topics are equally old news on here.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 05:09 PM)
My point was that both topics are equally old news on here.

Whether it is old or not doesn't negate the fact that it is still adversely affecting the team. The Thome thing is still killing us and Jenks still isn't helping us. They should both be discussed until it is no longer a problem.

Speaking of Bobby Jenks and frightening discoveries:

Jenks

52.2 IP

54 hits

26 ER

61 K/18 BB

4.44 ERA

1.367 WHIP

Linebrink

48 IP

46 hits

24 ER

45 K/13 BB

4.50 ERA

1.229 WHIP

And I think Linebrink is more maligned here...especially by those who still love Bobby.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 04:04 PM)
:lol:

Not that I care, I just noticed that you seem to be there every time he's mentioned (and it's never good).

Mostly guarding against BS revisionist history, which some people here seem to really specialize in. Guys like Nick Swisher especially have seen their time here get way better than they ever actually were.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 10, 2010 -> 05:37 AM)
Speaking of Bobby Jenks and frightening discoveries:

Jenks

52.2 IP

54 hits

26 ER

61 K/18 BB

4.44 ERA

1.367 WHIP

Linebrink

48 IP

46 hits

24 ER

45 K/13 BB

4.50 ERA

1.229 WHIP

And I think Linebrink is more maligned here...especially by those who still love Bobby.

But how many really important or high-leverage/pressure situations has Linebrink been in this year?

Maybe 3 or 4?

You could take DJ Carrasco's stats from 2 years ago and probably compare them favorably too, but it wouldn't mean very much in the overall scheme of things.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 11:54 PM)
Good.

So you agree it's good for me to still talk about Bobby.

I still worship Bobby in a non religious way.

Huh? Why would you worship him? I was just saying we shouldn't ignore the fact that he has been sub par this year because it has hurt us.

Edited by shrek

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 10, 2010 -> 08:48 AM)
But how many really important or high-leverage/pressure situations has Linebrink been in this year?

Maybe 3 or 4?

You could take DJ Carrasco's stats from 2 years ago and probably compare them favorably too, but it wouldn't mean very much in the overall scheme of things.

I suppose you're right. But, I think Linebrink has been used more often as of late is higher pressure situations (as compared to earlier in the season). I'm not saying Linebrink is a good pitcher, but maybe he's not as bad as we may think...when compared to some of our other pitchers.

QUOTE (shrek @ Sep 10, 2010 -> 02:54 PM)
Huh? Why would you worship him? I was just saying we shouldn't ignore the fact that he has been sub par this year because it has hurt us.

I get your point Shrek.

I was just responding to those who said I should stop discussing Bobby. My argument was if we are still talking about Thome (which has been a subject beaten to death) then I should still talk about Bobby, a subject equally beaten to death. I thought there was a double standard, people being allowed to continually say the same things about Thome and when I say the same things about Bobby, people blast me.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 10, 2010 -> 02:54 PM)
I get your point Shrek.

I was just responding to those who said I should stop discussing Bobby. My argument was if we are still talking about Thome (which has been a subject beaten to death) then I should still talk about Bobby, a subject equally beaten to death. I thought there was a double standard, people being allowed to continually say the same things about Thome and when I say the same things about Bobby, people blast me.

I don't see why you'd say the same things about bobby though. Thome was loved by everybody, has been constantly good, was cheap, and the sox let him go. Bobby has had continual weight problems that he still hasn't solved, and has been just plain bad, and is overpaid. You confuse me.