9/8 GT: Sox @ Detroit - 6:05pm CDT - CSN+

knightni

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 8, 2010 -> 07:32 PM)
Andruw Jones=814 OPS

Alex Rios=811 OPS

Obviously Rios is the better player, but this is one reason that there are other valuable stats to look at, rather than just OPS or SLG.

I think if Jones played as often as Rios, his OPS would be a lot lower.

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Sep 8, 2010 -> 07:33 PM)
Maybe something can be salvaged tonight...like out playoff hopes?

But no more starting Korsay and Teahen.

Kenny needs to do a better job of building a roster. We basically played a man down on offense all year long because he listened to the whims of a man who is pretending we are in the NL. Ozzie proofing the lineup is the key for any executive who is above him. Role players especially lefty marginal players become keys in our lineup. Oddly imagine if we took the money we spent on Manny, added Kotsay and Teahan. We might of had a real DH.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Sep 8, 2010 -> 06:33 PM)
Why is Manny not playing today? Sore hand after being hit yesterday????

Ramirez is playing, he's just hitting 5th instead of 3rd, where he's getting about as much protection from Mark Teahen as the A-Team gives to...forget it. Basically zero.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 8, 2010 -> 07:36 PM)
Kenny needs to do a better job of building a roster. We basically played a man down on offense all year long because he listened to the whims of a man who is pretending we are in the NL. Ozzie proofing the lineup is the key for any executive who is above him. Role players especially lefty marginal players become keys in our lineup. Oddly imagine if we took the money we spent on Manny, added Kotsay and Teahan. We might of had a real DH.

Its one thing to trade for Teahen, but to give him an extension......................................oh my.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 8, 2010 -> 06:37 PM)
Ramirez is playing, he's just hitting 5th instead of 3rd, where he's getting about as much protection from Mark Teahen as the A-Team gives to...forget it. Basically zero.

Gotcha thanks. Just got home and the first pitch I saw was Teahen striking out and then the next inning he costs us 4 runs, what a joke, he better NOT see 3rd base again the rest of the f***ing year

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 8, 2010 -> 06:36 PM)

It's obviously a problem when the manager has more say than the GM, if that's actually to be believed (which I'm not 100% convinced KW would sacrifice a season with this kind of pitching to make a point to JR and Ozzie but who knows).

Look at the issue with TLR and Rasmus/Pujols for another organization with similar "power structure" issues. Seems LaRussa really talks up Jocketty in the papers and uses any chance he can to either remain silent on Mozeliak or diss him...you would think the GM's were more important in the NL Central race than the players and teams playing on the field.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 01:36 AM)

This is the problem when you totally disregard the farm system...you have to grossly overpay (in free agent money and trades) for REPLACEMENT LEVEL talent. I also do not like how we tend to overpay for guys whose better years are behind them (See Jake Peavy).

This has been a good season, but I for one would like to see Kenny 'promoted' next year.

Can we have Josh Fields back please?

What's the market for the worst 3B in all of baseball (well, maybe better than Viciedo, although Dayan at least has the youth argument on his side there) with a low 700's OPS?

I mean, Teahen's in the prime of his career and he's 0.20 points of OPS ahead of a 43 year old Omar Vizquel. Just egregiously bad. If he could defend, you can live with it, assuming there's no Kotsay in the line-up.