WS playing for Championship

scenario

Playoff preview

Winston-Salem (South Division first-half/second-half champions; 81-59)

vs. Kinston (South Division second-half runner-up; 73-65)

Winston-Salem won the season series, 13-7

Game 1 at Winston-Salem, Sept. 8 at 7 p.m. ET

Game 2 at Winston-Salem, Sept. 9 at 7 p.m. ET

Game 3 at Kinston, Sept. 10 at 7 p.m ET

Game 4 at Kinston (if necessary), Sept. 11 at 7 p.m. ET

Game 5 at Winston-Salem (if necessary), Sept. 12 at 5:05 p.m. ET

Winston-Salem steamrolled to win both halves of the South Division en route to its third straight playoff berth, while Kinston won nine straight games late in the year to help clinch their first postseason appearance since 2007.

You like offense? The Dash led the Carolina League in runs scored, home runs, RBIs, total bases, batting average, on-base percentage and slugging percentage.

You prefer pitching? K-Tribe hurlers were tops in ERA and shutouts and second in strikeouts while yielding the fewest hits and fewest runs.

Winston-Salem won 13 of the 20 games played between the clubs, including nine of 10 at home. The Dash took the first nine games between the clubs in Winston-Salem this year before Kinston ended a 17-game drought.

"It's their good starting pitching against our real good hitting. So far, our hitting has won out," said Dash reliever Tyson Corley.

The trio of Indians right-hander Joseph Gardner (12-5, 2.69 ERA) and lefties T.J. House (6-10, 3.91) and T.J. McFarland (11-5, 3.13) make it tough on opposing hitters. But Winston-Salem boasts third baseman Jon Gilmore (.316, 80 RBIs), outfielder Brandon Short (.316, 15 homers, 79 RBIs) and first baseman Seth Loman (.290, 24 homers, 85 RBIs).

"If we can get a few runs early ... it's a lot easier for our pitchers," Corley said. "That's what we want to do -- jump out early and let our pitchers work."

The Dash also have two-time Manager of the Year Joe McEwing and a secret weapon -- an impressive home record in its first year at BB&T Ballpark, where Winston-Salem's 47-21 mark is among the best in the Minor Leagues. Because they won both halves, the Dash would get the fifth game of the series at home.

"We've had tremendous crowds all year -- even on weekdays, which is hard to do in Minor League Baseball. It's nice to play in a stadium that's full. That makes it so easy," said Corley.

So does the motivation of last year's first-round ouster at the hands of Salem, something that's been in the Dash's collective minds.

"We're pretty cocky. We're very confident. We expect to win the whole thing," Corley said. "We're not in the playoffs to get swept in three games like we did last year. We're going to win, and we're not going to settle for anything less."

Edited by scenario

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 8, 2010 -> 08:54 AM)
They also have Trayce Thompson joining them for the playoffs.

What a weird and kinda shady system that is....you can call up a guy who hasn't played for you all season long, and put him on the playoff Roster?

I'm not complaining though, the more AB's for him the better...

QUOTE (Cali @ Sep 8, 2010 -> 10:56 AM)
What a weird and kinda shady system that is....you can call up a guy who hasn't played for you all season long, and put him on the playoff Roster?

I'm not complaining though, the more AB's for him the better...

He's a September call-up. ;)

And not nearly as shady as Boston sending Dice-K down last year to pitch in A-league playoffs as a rehab assignment.

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 8, 2010 -> 11:03 AM)
He's a September call-up. ;)

And not nearly as shady as Boston sending Dice-K down last year to pitch in A-league playoffs as a rehab assignment.

Wasnt there a season the Indians had Hafner and someone else doing a rehab assignment during their AA playoffs or something.

Link

Winston-Salem rode a tremendous performance from starting pitcher Dylan Axelrod to a 2-0 Carolina League semifinal series lead Thursday night.

Axelrod allowed two hits over seven scoreless innings as the Dash topped the visiting Kinston Indians, 2-0. The right-hander matched a career high with nine strikeouts while walking one and retired 19 batters in a row between the first inning and the eighth.

"I don't remember a stretch like that since junior college," Axelrod said.

The top team in the league during the regular season with an 81-58 record, Winston-Salem roared into the postseason with eight wins in its final 10 games.

Axelrod was on a tear as well. The 25-year-old White Sox prospect had allowed five earned runs over 46 2/3 innings in his final seven starts of the regular season. He struck out 48 and walked four during that stretch. Overall, he was 8-3 with a 1.99 ERA in 23 outings for the Dash this season.

"I moved into the rotation in the second half of the season, which gave me a chance to throw and develop all my pitches," said Axelrod.

After yielding a two-out single to Kinston first baseman Jeremie Tice in the first inning, Axelrod was all but unhittable. The Cal-Irvine product set down the next 19 batters through the end of the seventh.

"I was spotting my fastball pretty well and my cutter. My changeup was working pretty well too," he said.

Axelrod (1-0) gave up a double and a walk to open the eighth, but reliever Brandon Kloess kept Kinston off the board by fanning two and inducing a groundout.

Closer Tyson Corley notched his second save in as many nights, allowing one hit in a scoreless ninth.

"I felt good -- the adrenaline was going -- I just left the ball up [on the double]," Axelrod said. "[Kloess and Corley] really picked me up. They pitched great."

The Dash scored both of their runs in the fifth on Kyle Shelton's single.

Kinston starter Austin Adams (0-1) took the loss, allowing two runs on two hits and two walks over 4 2/3 innings. He struck out five.

The Indians held Winston-Salem to a season-low-tying three hits, but were unable to solve the Dash pitching staff. They'll head home for a do-or-die Game 3 at Grainger Stadium on Friday night.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 09:01 PM)
Damn, Axelrod has just been dominating this year. I wish he was 4 years younger.

7 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 9 K.

That'll work.

Yeah, its interesting to see his numbers in his years in the minors. Two mediocre seasons in whatever organization he was in before... then since coming to the Sox org, he's dominated in two seasons. He's old for his level by a good couple or three years, but it looks like the Sox org found something to fix in him, and its working. If he can put up these kinds of numbers next year in AA, despite his age, I think its time to start keeping a close eye on him.