WS playing for Championship

scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 11:33 AM)
I wouldn't put him on your Kyle McCulloch type hate list yet.

If he wasn't KW's son, would you really get this irritated about him?

He's played less than two full seasons in the minors. He's got athletic genes. And he showed significant improvement in the second half of the season this year... batting .282 after the all-star break.

I think it's worth seeming him at the AA-level (and healthy) before we try to force him into retirement.

No one would be.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 04:33 PM)

He's played less than two full seasons in the minors. He's got athletic genes. And he showed significant improvement in the second half of the season this year... batting .282 after the all-star break.

I think it's worth seeming him at the AA-level (and healthy) before we try to force him into retirement.

You can't make this statement using batting average as your barometer. Batting average doesn't doesn't stabalise after 600 AB, let alone 156 AB. It doesn't tell you anything of worth (such as whether a player has made "significant improvement") in that small of a sample size.

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 10:33 AM)

He just gets way too much playing time and I bet it all has to do with McEwing being forced to play him. Not to mention how he was drafted way too early. Even Oney Guillen got way too much playing time back in 2008. The name Josh Shaffer is a four letter word in Birmingham. I looked at the box scores all year and I noticed how often KW Jr. was playing instead of someone like Ozzie Lewis or Kyle Shelton. Both of whom were much more productive and hit around or over .300. Had KW Jr. been active all season, he would've likely played in close to 130 games. That's out of 140. That's way too many. He played in 74 games, while probably being active for about 80. 74 games is about the maximum playing time he should get over a whole year if healthy. That's part time almost exactly. The most galling thing was that when Short went down, KW Jr. was thrust into the leadoff role. Why would any manager put one of the worst hitters for average on the team as a leadoff hitter? Only if he was forced to. Oney claimed that himself earlier this year. Just look at the Dash player stats for 2010 sorted by average, you'll see that KW Jr. had no business hitting anywhere near the top of the order at any point at all. He should have been hitting 8th all the time. He doesn't draw walks, he doesn't steal bases, his season average was .252 and his OPS was .671. There was no excuse for him playing as much as he did nor the place in the batting order. Short should have been put back in the leadoff spot and that be that. Kyle Shelton's numbers alone were vastly better than KW Jr.'s in less games. I see your point Patrick, but we're not talking about just any player, we're talking about a player benefiting from nepotism. I even got the impression from Bren that Chase didn't think much of him either. To paraphrase her, KW Jr. wasn't going to lose playing time to anyone. I don't think I can support him next year if he's in B'ham and playing way too damn much. If he can barely hit .250 in the Carolina League, then it's going to be a steep drop for him next year.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 11:38 AM)
You can't make this statement using batting average as your barometer. Batting average doesn't doesn't stabalise after 600 AB, let alone 156 AB. It doesn't tell you anything of worth (such as whether a player has made "significant improvement") in that small of a sample size.

I know... but when a player has a total of 600 at-bats in his entire professional career, you have to make judgments based on small samples, because that's all we have numbers-wise. Plus, the 1/2 season we're talking about is really the first time he's been healthy for an extended period.

No doubt the Sox are basing their evaluation of him at this point based on tools rather than stats. (He didn't get enough at-bats in college to get an idea of his capabilities either.)

So, I wouldn't use the numbers we have to set a baseline for future expectations.

All I'm suggesting is that given the information we have, his increased success in 150 at-bats over 40 games (the second half of this year) seems a long enough period to justify continuing the experiment, rather than flushing him.

And I firmly believe that if his name was Joe Smith, rather than Kenny Williams, fans would cut him infinitely more slack.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 12:18 PM)
I know... but when a player has a total of 600 at-bats in his entire professional career, you have to make judgments based on small samples, because that's all we have numbers-wise. Plus, the 1/2 season we're talking about is really the first time he's been healthy for an extended period.

No doubt the Sox are basing their evaluation of him at this point based on tools rather than stats. (He didn't get enough at-bats in college to get an idea of his capabilities either.)

So, I wouldn't use the numbers we have to set a baseline for future expectations.

All I'm suggesting is that given the information we have, his increased success in 150 at-bats over 40 games (the second half of this year) seems a long enough period to justify continuing the experiment, rather than flushing him.

If he didn't play much in college either due to health, then why the hell was he a 6th round pick??? I'd say that his recent success is more to do with the old proverb of a blind squirrel finding a nut. It's easy for you to say it's worth continuing the experiment, you won't be paying to watch him play next year. And, to be accurate, he has 601 career at bats. ;)

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 10:02 AM)
He just gets way too much playing time and I bet it all has to do with McEwing being forced to play him. Not to mention how he was drafted way too early. Even Oney Guillen got way too much playing time back in 2008. The name Josh Shaffer is a four letter word in Birmingham. I looked at the box scores all year and I noticed how often KW Jr. was playing instead of someone like Ozzie Lewis or Kyle Shelton. Both of whom were much more productive and hit around or over .300. Had KW Jr. been active all season, he would've likely played in close to 130 games. That's out of 140. That's way too many. He played in 74 games, while probably being active for about 80. 74 games is about the maximum playing time he should get over a whole year if healthy. That's part time almost exactly. The most galling thing was that when Short went down, KW Jr. was thrust into the leadoff role. Why would any manager put one of the worst hitters for average on the team as a leadoff hitter? Only if he was forced to. Oney claimed that himself earlier this year. Just look at the Dash player stats for 2010 sorted by average, you'll see that KW Jr. had no business hitting anywhere near the top of the order at any point at all. He should have been hitting 8th all the time. He doesn't draw walks, he doesn't steal bases, his season average was .252 and his OPS was .671. There was no excuse for him playing as much as he did nor the place in the batting order. Short should have been put back in the leadoff spot and that be that. Kyle Shelton's numbers alone were vastly better than KW Jr.'s in less games. I see your point Patrick, but we're not talking about just any player, we're talking about a player benefiting from nepotism. I even got the impression from Bren that Chase didn't think much of him either. To paraphrase her, KW Jr. wasn't going to lose playing time to anyone. I don't think I can support him next year if he's in B'ham and playing way too damn much. If he can barely hit .250 in the Carolina League, then it's going to be a steep drop for him next year.

Chase doesn't dislike him at all, they were roommates in W-S actually ...nobody likes to see people use who they are to get special treatment though ..especially when they work their asses off to get a lot less.

QUOTE (IChaseBlackWood @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 12:52 PM)
Chase doesn't dislike him at all, they were roommates in W-S actually ...nobody likes to see people use who they are to get special treatment though ..especially when they work their asses off to get a lot less.

I wasn't sure what you had meant, thanks for clarifying. But, are you implying anything with the bolded part of your statement?

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 03:46 PM)
I wasn't sure what you had meant, thanks for clarifying. But, are you implying anything with the bolded part of your statement?

Before we ask people to elaborate...I probably ought to offer a reminder that occasionally people from the organization do drop by here...and we have no idea how high up those people might be. Just something to think about for your own personal benefit.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 12:46 PM)

I'm not implying anything. I was just saying sometimes guys use their status to get out of tickets, get free drinks, get girls ...Chase never tells people what he does for a living. It's not on his FB under his employment section and he tries at all costs to avoid actually telling people when they ask ..so it irritates him when he's with people and they are all too excited to run around talking about "hey girl, I play baseball for the White Sox." ..that's not his thing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 02:57 PM)
Before we ask people to elaborate...I probably ought to offer a reminder that occasionally people from the organization do drop by here...and we have no idea how high up those people might be. Just something to think about for your own personal benefit.

She can PM me if need be. Just curious if she is implying anything.

QUOTE (IChaseBlackWood @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 03:05 PM)
I'm not implying anything. I was just saying sometimes guys use their status to get out of tickets, get free drinks, get girls ...Chase never tells people what he does for a living. It's not on his FB under his employment section and he tries at all costs to avoid actually telling people when they ask ..so it irritates him when he's with people and they are all too excited to run around talking about "hey girl, I play baseball for the White Sox." ..that's not his thing.

That definitely would be my thing lol, Id like to say Id be humble but in reality Id be telling everyone how awesome Im at in baseball haha. Now if I did have a gf I prob wouldnt flaunt it as much but maybe just a little still.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 02:28 PM)
That definitely would be my thing lol, Id like to say Id be humble but in reality Id be telling everyone how awesome Im at in baseball haha. Now if I did have a gf I prob wouldnt flaunt it as much but maybe just a little still.

HAHAHAHAHAHA LMFAO!!

This cracks me up.

Chase is the opposite ..he gets embarrassed if we go anywhere and people know who he is. He really doesn't like to be known for playing baseball && especially dislikes the people who crawl out of the wood works and are like "Oh yeah, Chase Blackwood, I know him ..we're real good friends." when in reality he may have stood next to them in line at a movie one time or something! lol

QUOTE (IChaseBlackWood @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 05:13 PM)
HAHAHAHAHAHA LMFAO!!

This cracks me up.

Chase is the opposite ..he gets embarrassed if we go anywhere and people know who he is. He really doesn't like to be known for playing baseball && especially dislikes the people who crawl out of the wood works and are like "Oh yeah, Chase Blackwood, I know him ..we're real good friends." when in reality he may have stood next to them in line at a movie one time or something! lol

ive been bragging that i know someone from an online forum who knows blackwood

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 02:57 PM)

for all I care, oney guillen can cry his panties off when he reads what people here say about him!

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 10:37 PM)
Your sarcasm meter needs fixing.

No kidding, right?! lol

He isn't a big deal to you guys yet, but around here he has been for a little while && to me he always will be!

"Ol' girl?" lmao ..everyday one of you says something that makes me giggle.