Does money rule all personnel decisions in baseball?

greg775

I would think we would just simply dump Teahen or trade him to the Pirates and pay all but $500,000 of his salary.

If not dump Teahen ... can the White Sox justify keeping him and making him a once a week guy?

It's obvious no matter where you put him, he is not a good enough defensive player to be on the roster of a so called contender.

Who cares about the money? Just dump him or demote him to a Sunday lineup guy.

I am assuming the answer to my question is we have to start Teahen because of his salary, just as we had to keep pitching Linebrink cause of his guaranteed salary.

I'm saying eating Teahen's salary should be a no brainer.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 8, 2010 -> 11:42 PM)
I would think we would just simply dump Teahen or trade him to the Pirates and pay all but $500,000 of his salary.

If not dump Teahen ... can the White Sox justify keeping him and making him a once a week guy?

It's obvious no matter where you put him, he is not a good enough defensive player to be on the roster of a so called contender.

I am assuming the answer to my question is we have to start Teahen because of his salary, just as we had to keep pitching Linebrink cause of his guaranteed salary.

I'm saying after the Deadspin story reporting the Sox and all teams making zillions of dollars, eating Teahen's salary should be a no brainer.

Money is in every decision, baseball teams have a finite amount they can spend or are willing to spend. It's a business, for better or for worse, but it is.

Still, a player has to fit the model of the team, thus Teahen on the Pirates makes little sense unless they feel they can improve his game enough to trade him later. They want to go young, and while Teahen isnt really that old he doesnt really fit their MO right now (atleast from what I can tell).

A team that may be interested in the offseason is the Yankees, where they can take a risk like Teahen, just like Swisher, and put him in a utility role which really favors him more.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 04:47 AM)
Money is in every decision, baseball teams have a finite amount they can spend or are willing to spend. It's a business, for better or for worse, but it is.

Still, a player has to fit the model of the team, thus Teahen on the Pirates makes little sense unless they feel they can improve his game enough to trade him later. They want to go young, and while Teahen isnt really that old he doesnt really fit their MO right now (atleast from what I can tell).

A team that may be interested in the offseason is the Yankees, where they can take a risk like Teahen, just like Swisher, and put him in a utility role which really favors him more.

I would still think we'd have to pay most of his salary if we deal him, unless some big market team actually would want him and pay that money for a utility guy.

I have no idea how much profit the White Sox organization makes in a single year, but if there is a significant profit, they should count their losses and move on from Mark. He's not good enough to be DH and he's a butcher.

Agreed, we probably would have to eat part of his contract, and what a terrible player evaluation on him by the Sox.

The Sox probably wont make a move because of his salary, in their opinion it wont kill them. It will effect how the rest of the roster plays out and our flexibility in FA and trades.

I don't want to comment on Wise now.

His defense was good at least.

I contend that a sieve and ragarm like Teahen can really cost you games playing third base. Wise started a while, then was a reserve.

I got no problem with Mark if he is a once a week player.

If you think him being a starter at third or right field or first base won't kill us next year, I disagree.

He is not good enough to start on a contender.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 8, 2010 -> 10:42 PM)

I'm saying eating Teahen's salary should be a no brainer.

It's another example where Kenny exhibits defense is the least of priorities when it comes to players.

I never understood this acquisition at all. I guess he was one of those guys who use to hurt the Sox. Well he's still doing it.

Note to Kenny: No more players from losing organizations especially the Royals.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 01:28 AM)
It's another example where Kenny exhibits defense is the least of priorities when it comes to players.

I never understood this acquisition at all. I guess he was one of those guys who use to hurt the Sox. Well he's still doing it.

If a player has talent, I dont care where he comes from. But the Sox have to evaluate talent better, that's the bottom line. Stop looking at what a player does against us, and look at what he does against everyone. Their theory that he could be a decent defensive 3b blew up on them, and that's a huge question mark to go into the season with, especially when you are weak at DH and LF to begin with.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 12:28 AM)

I disagree.

Alexei Ramirez was signed with the idea he had the tools to play almost anywhere on the field defensively, 2B/CF/SS.

Jordan Danks, Mitchell, Morel....then you have the signings or trades for the likes of Pierre, Rios, Vizquel, Andruw Jones, all those moves shored up what was once one of the worst defenses (and slowest) in the AL.

Now Viciedo and Manny Ramirez are examples to the contrary, along with Teahen. So at best, he's been inconsistent. Then again, if the you follow the Mariners model and have the worst offense in the AL, that's not going to get you very far, either.

Teahen just doesn't have a position.

He simply sucks at third. He's bad in right.

He's not even good at second.

Bad bad acquisition.

Again, he'd be OK to play once a week assuming he doesn't cost us that game ever week with his glove.

I just think we can't afford to keep him around, especially if Omar retires and we start him at third.

Him playing everyday will show up regularly in the won/loss column if he's in the field somewhere.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 01:53 AM)

Bad bad acquisition.

Again, he'd be OK to play once a week assuming he doesn't cost us that game ever week with his glove.

I just think we can't afford to keep him around, especially if Omar retires and we start him at third.

Him playing everyday will show up regularly in the won/loss column if he's in the field somewhere.

It's the second coming of Josh Fields.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 03:47 AM)
I wasn't able to watch last two games, in the catch-all thread I read Morel is to start tomorrow.

What happened last night? More Teahen defensive problems?

Nauseatingly bad defense. He made two bad errors, the second of which led to four runs. I didn't realize he was that bad, but now I do. Both plays were pretty easy. Vizquel could have made them while blindfolded and having a conversation with Alexei. Even Viciedo would have had no problem.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 02:53 AM)

Bad bad acquisition.

The problem is money if they want to get rid of him, which I suspect they do. They obviously saw something sometime, somewhere, that made them think the extension they gave him was well worth it. They aren't going to pay him to play somewhere else even though it actually might be more cost effective.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 01:28 AM)

You keep saying this, and you keep being shown that it is patently untrue. This team's defense is above average, and Teahen and Q are the only real defensive liabilities.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 05:08 AM)
It's the second coming of Josh Fields.

Fields was a whole different issue. His defense was actually far better than what Teahen has shown, and had improved to the point of being passable. His issue was his inability to catch up to fastballs.

QUOTE (C_LEE45 @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 09:34 AM)
Maybe the sox can package Q and Teahen together maybe somebody will bite , lets just hope we sign Konerko , also do you guys think Sale will be in the rotation next year?

No, I don't think Sale will be in the rotation next year. I think KW knows that he can't go into the regular season next year with only 5 starters and count on a rookie to be 1 of them and Peavy to be another. The last few years, he's tried repeatedly to be 6 deep in the rotation, and every time he winds up needing that 6th guy somewhere. I think Sale likely starts in Charlotte next year unless they just throw in the towel and put him in the bullpen permanently.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 08:45 AM)
No, I don't think Sale will be in the rotation next year. I think KW knows that he can't go into the regular season next year with only 5 starters and count on a rookie to be 1 of them and Peavy to be another. The last few years, he's tried repeatedly to be 6 deep in the rotation, and every time he winds up needing that 6th guy somewhere. I think Sale likely starts in Charlotte next year unless they just throw in the towel and put him in the bullpen permanently.

I would hope they groom Sale to be a starter. Having him begin in AAA next season is not a bad idea. His last outing, which was 2+ innings I think, he dropped his velocity a bit and his breaking stuff was just as good. I heard the announcers say that if and when he becomes a starter, we won't see his high 90's stuff regularly. With his slider, a 93-95 mph fastball should be fine.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 06:23 AM)
Nauseatingly bad defense. He made two bad errors, the second of which led to four runs. I didn't realize he was that bad, but now I do. Both plays were pretty easy. Vizquel could have made them while blindfolded and having a conversation with Alexei. Even Viciedo would have had no problem.

Morel is well positioned to knock Teahen off third base next year, if KW doesn't trade him first. The little I've heard about Morel's defense is very good - "Crede-like". Ozzie values defense, and if Morel fields well in spring training and bats a little above the Mendoza line, I think the job is his. I'd also like to have Vizquel back next year, and playing 3rd as much as possible for the rest of this season, but Omar can't be counted on to play 162 games at third next year.

I don't think Teahen's contract will guarantee him playing time at third, if Ozzie has a better option - Morel. Linebrink's contract has kept him on the 25-man roster, but Ozzie has kept him out of high leverage situations.

I hope Morel breaks out and sticks at 3B, and I really hope Omar comes back as a backup IF. He can teach Morel, Alexei, Beckham wonders.

Teahen, I like the guy but please send him away or keep him as a supersub 1B/3B/LF/RF - quite an expensive supersub but that's what Kenny gets for offering him that extension! UGH.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 10:09 AM)
I wouldn't be surprised if Sale takes the Jack McDowell route, and we don't see him at the major league level until August or September of next year, but he comes back as a starter.

This is exactly what I'm hoping they do with him...with the small caveat that I hope he only gets a couple spot starts in September because the starting rotation hung together, was healthy, and performed all year in the bigs.