If anyone here still likes Teahen...

ChiliIrishHammock24

Not sure if anyone does, if someone does, it's probably Greg, but check this out.....

Sox record when Mark Teahen plays: 32-31. Sox record when he's benched or out: 46-31.

I copied this from someone else, I didn't get these numbers myself, but if this is true.....

Just......wow.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

I concede he seems like a great guy, but I don't know how he made it to the big leagues.

His defense is pathetic.

He thinks he's a power hitter swinging that massive Soriano-sized bat.

He needs to re-do his game, the way Lilly apparently worked on his last offseason.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Sep 9, 2010 -> 11:46 PM)
Not sure if anyone does, if someone does, it's probably Greg, but check this out.....

Sox record when Mark Teahen plays: 32-31. Sox record when he's benched or out: 50-27.

I copied this from someone else, I didn't get these numbers myself, but if this is true.....

Just......wow.

How can we be 24 games over .500 (82-58)?

Has to be something wrong with that stat, because last time I checked, we were only 14 games over.

What I do find interesting is there's more "negative threads" related to position or everyday players than pitchers...I don't recall so many discussions of Linebrink, because he can be moved to the back of the bullpen, whereas Teahen is impossible to hide unless he's DHing, in which case his low 700's OPS is still impossible to hide.

But if you look at MacDougal, Linebrink, even Contreras after 2007...I guess it's human nature to notice a player you see more often, the same can also be said with Kotsay, D. Wise, Erstad, Mackowiak, Royce Clayton, Mark Johnson, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 10, 2010 -> 02:55 AM)
How can we be 24 games over .500 (82-58)?

Has to be something wrong with that stat, because last time I checked, we were only 14 games over.

What I do find interesting is there's more "negative threads" related to position or everyday players than pitchers...I don't recall so many discussions of Linebrink, because he can be moved to the back of the bullpen, whereas Teahen is impossible to hide unless he's DHing, in which case his low 700's OPS is still impossible to hide.

But if you look at MacDougal, Linebrink, even Contreras after 2007...I guess it's human nature to notice a player you see more often, the same can also be said with Kotsay, D. Wise, Erstad, Mackowiak, Royce Clayton, Mark Johnson, etc.

Take that back. I loved Mark Johnson.

Edited by kjshoe04

I'd be fine with Mark Teahen off the bench...much like Kotsay was last year. But the Sox way overpaid on his extension to make him a sub/PH. However, you have to wonder if KW would recognize that failure of a signing and either trade him away for nothing or be okay with him being a sub/PH.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 10, 2010 -> 08:39 AM)
I'd be fine with Mark Teahen off the bench...much like Kotsay was last year. But the Sox way overpaid on his extension to make him a sub/PH. However, you have to wonder if KW would recognize that failure of a signing and either trade him away for nothing or be okay with him being a sub/PH.

The problem with trading him away is that you need another team who wants him at that price. There's no reason to pay 1/2 of his deal to make him go away.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Sep 10, 2010 -> 08:39 AM)

I don't see why he would be good off the bench. He is terrible defensively and the AL doesn't really require pinch hitters (which he also isn't very good at). At least Kotsay can be adequate defensively to give PK a rest. If Teahen hit for more power then you can live with him, but he doesn't do that either.

QUOTE (G&T @ Sep 10, 2010 -> 09:20 AM)
I don't see why he would be good off the bench. He is terrible defensively and the AL doesn't really require pinch hitters (which he also isn't very good at). At least Kotsay can be adequate defensively to give PK a rest. If Teahen hit for more power then you can live with him, but he doesn't do that either.

Mark Kotsay is adequate defensively...at 1b. He hasn't exactly been tried at 3b, and he can't handle RF enough for the manager to give him playing time there.

Your post drives me to ask...is Teahen also terrible as a backup 1b? He's played there 37 games in his career and made 1 error. It's useless to use any advanced stats over that type of sample size, but there's nothing obviously terrible in his defensive performance at that spot.

Teahen was a failure at 3B defensively, but his bat has been about as expected. He's expensive for it, but because he's not going to be traded easily, you might as well have him be a bench guy next year. Have him learn 1B, he already looks passable in RF, he can DH or PH, etc. He's got a good bat for that role.

Albeit with less facial scarring than Liotta or Danny Trejo.

The other issue is Teahen has one of those swings (like Andruw Jones) that doesn't seem suited for pinch-hitting duty.

He can have a "decent" (depends on which position and "decent" has been recalibrated as a word after the first two months of offensive non-productivity) bat if he's playing everyday and in a rhythm, but that's unlikely to happen playing only once or twice a week.

I am sure no one feels worse about the year Teahan has had than Mark Teahan. However, we have possible replacements for Teahan in our system and he might get used as a super sub. I remmeber Ozzie saying this after Mark came off the DL. Problem with that is he isn't a good defender from what I have seen and gets paid a lot of money. I still wonder why Uribe and his great glove wasnt signed again two years ago, but it is what it is I guess. But Uribe is a great super sub.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 10, 2010 -> 08:13 AM)
I am sure no one feels worse about the year Teahan has had than Mark Teahan. However, we have possible replacements for Teahan in our system and he might get used as a super sub. I remmeber Ozzie saying this after Mark came off the DL. Problem with that is he isn't a good defender from what I have seen and gets paid a lot of money. I still wonder why Uribe and his great glove wasnt signed again two years ago, but it is what it is I guess. But Uribe is a great super sub.

I think it's because they wanted to cut Uribe's salary from 2008 more than 20% if they were to bring him back...as they didn't envision paying starter money for a back-up (which, ironically, is exactly what they're now doing with Teahen).

I know Buehrle offered at least $1 million of his money to the FO to keep Juancito around.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 10, 2010 -> 05:14 PM)
I think it's because they wanted to cut Uribe's salary from 2008 more than 20% if they were to bring him back...as they didn't envision paying starter money for a back-up (which, ironically, is exactly what they're now doing with Teahen).

I know Buehrle offered at least $1 million of his money to the FO to keep Juancito around.

Didn't know that about MB and his salary offer to keep Uribe. However, I am a firm believer that sound defense is a major key in winning games-especially close games- and any pitcher throwing to contact wants good d behind him

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 10, 2010 -> 04:14 PM)

I like your posts caufield, but I find this one hard to believe.

Players don't donate a million dollars to keep anybody around but immediate family members.

I mean, cmon. Juan Uribe? Offering a million of your own salary to keep a guy like Juan Uribe?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 10, 2010 -> 12:44 PM)
The problem with trading him away is that you need another team who wants him at that price. There's no reason to pay 1/2 of his deal to make him go away.

That's what I hate about baseball contracts. Linebrink has not helped this team at all but we have to keep him around to pay him.

Now the same with Teahen. Why not pay 1/2 his deal to make him go away?

Don't you all agree his approach at the plate is horrible and he is a K waiting to happen at all times?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 10, 2010 -> 02:00 PM)
I like your posts caufield, but I find this one hard to believe.

Players don't donate a million dollars to keep anybody around but immediate family members.

I mean, cmon. Juan Uribe? Offering a million of your own salary to keep a guy like Juan Uribe?

You can't think of it in terms of straight salary compensation. At that level of money, part of what you are doing is deciding how to invest in your company. In this case, he felt that Uribe's contributions, particularly his defense, were worth a lot to the Sox and to MB. Therefore, they are worth a lot to him when the team is more successful, pays him more money later, makes the post-season, and so on.

I don't know if its actually true in this case that it was $1M, but I don't doubt that some players would be willing to wriggle their contracts and money to make the team and their own performance better with their presence.