How honest can a politician be and be re-elected?

Texsox

14 members have voted

1. 1. How honest can a national politician be and be re-elected?

• 100% Honest, ethical
    • Just some minor stuff, a little here and there
    • As much as they can get away with without being caught
    • More crooked than honest
    • They're all majorly corrupt

I'm purposely avoiding talking about a small town mayor, state rep, etc. I'm talking Congress, Senate, Governors, and major city Mayors.

Do they have to be a little dishonest to keep their office? Do they have to bend a few ethics rules? Is raising campaign money always a dishonest process?

What standards can we realistically hold our officials to?

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 10, 2010 -> 09:47 PM)
You have to "promise" stuff to get people to vote for you, and when you're in office, you realize how many of those promises are impossible or unlikely without corrupting yourself, so... politics can be a slippery slope.

That's not being dishonest though, that's just being naive.

It's naive to think that someone won't be affected by the trappings of the prize they sought is. The vast majority of elected officials, by and large, believe that they are doing what they are doing in service to their country. And generally, those intentions are good. However, its easy to lose the balance between doing what's right and doing what's easy. Especially if what's right and what's popular are two completely different things.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 01:28 PM)
That's not being dishonest though, that's just being naive.

It's naive to think that someone won't be affected by the trappings of the prize they sought is. The vast majority of elected officials, by and large, believe that they are doing what they are doing in service to their country. And generally, those intentions are good. However, its easy to lose the balance between doing what's right and doing what's easy. Especially if what's right and what's popular are two completely different things.

So, you're saying then that people who get into politics should understand that they are required to be corrupt in order to do their jobs?

If it's a requirement, then why should anyone care or be surprised when a politician gets caught being dishonest?

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 09:39 AM)
So, you're saying then that people who get into politics should understand that they are required to be corrupt in order to do their jobs?

If it's a requirement, then why should anyone care or be surprised when a politician gets caught being dishonest?

Well, they should care because it's their money, at some level, people are being dishonest with.

But the other response is...seriously, people are surprised when a politician is dishonest or corrupt? Exploitation of being in power goes back so far in history it's hard to believe. We actually probably do a better job of keeping politicians honest than a lot of civilizations, because we have a law enforcement apparatus that is at least partially independent of the legislative branch and therefore we enforce some level of anti-corruption laws...but really, I can't believe people are surprised by that. I'm surprised somewhat at who it is who gets caught, or that it involves a Minnesota airport men's room or something like that, but not that it happens in the first place.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 09:39 AM)

I guess it depends on the dishonesty we're talking about. All of us are dishonest to a certain degree, to expect complete honesty from anyone is a bit much. And the truth is, if someone was totally honest, I don't think they would get more than a handful of votes.

But I guess, what I think most people see as being "corrupt" has more to do with someone getting settled into a role they did not have before. These things change people, but it doesn't make them corrupted - but they may not be the same fresh face someone elected ten, six or even two years ago. And its rare that someone who doesn't change stays in office.