Cell Phone question

Jordan4life_2007

T-mobile sucks and I'm switching to Verizon. I'm trying to decide between these two. Anybody that's been with or currently with Verizon and has had one of or even both of these phones? Which is better? I hear they both have to be charged constantly. But that's no big deal to me. Any input would be appreciated.

What problems have you been having with T-Mo? I have been with them for years without any real complaints other than my Dash sucks as a phone. I am thisclose to picking up the Samsung Vibrant today and going a couple more years with them.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 01:00 AM)
T-mobile sucks and I'm switching to Verizon. I'm trying to decide between these two. Anybody that's been with or currently with Verizon and has had one of or even both of these phones? Which is better? I hear they both have to be charged constantly. But that's no big deal to me. Any input would be appreciated.

I have the Incredible and absolutely love it. Yes, it has to be charged all the time, which can be annoying, but that's the only issue I have with the phone. Speaker could be louder too, but complaining about that is just searching for something to complain about.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 12:00 AM)

I literally just switched from t mo to verizon on friday. I liked t mo but work got a 15percent discount with Verizno. I got the droid 2 because of the pull out keyboard and the fact that the x wasn't available. I'm loving it so far, but i've never had a smartphone before so I would have said that about anything probably lol

I have the D Inc, and I love it. Worlds better than my old BB Curve. There are a couple annoyances, its not a perfect phone: the battery life could be a lot better, and you may need to do some tweaking to make it get through the day. That's the biggest ones. The others are related to email folder tree updates and things you probably don't care about. Overall, I love it - just make sure you do a lot of little things to improve the battery life.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 08:49 AM)
I have the D Inc, and I love it. Worlds better than my old BB Curve. There are a couple annoyances, its not a perfect phone: the battery life could be a lot better, and you may need to do some tweaking to make it get through the day. That's the biggest ones. The others are related to email folder tree updates and things you probably don't care about. Overall, I love it - just make sure you do a lot of little things to improve the battery life.

Like what? I'd be interested in knowing for my own Incredible.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 09:04 AM)
Like what? I'd be interested in knowing for my own Incredible.

I found lists of things on various Droid forums. Some of the ones I found and tried, include:

--Bump charging a few times

--Getting an App Killer application from the Market to keep control of apps

--Turning off the GPS except when you actually need it

--Same with Bluetooth

--Purchase a higher capacity battery (I did this, went from the standard 1250 to a 1700, or you can even go 3000 but then you need a new case back)

--Check your email update time settings, decrease them if you can, especially during off hours

There are others too, go out on Android Central for example (the link there is for the D Inc forum specifically).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 10:16 AM)
Also, by the way, if you are still on 2.1 Android, I'd stay there. Do NOT do the Froyo 2.2 update for now, because the majority of people I've spoken with and on these forums are saying its not an upgrade at all, its more of a downgrade.

Ugh, yeah too late. I got the message last week and upgraded it. Don't like the new text screens, it takes forever to charge and it seems the battery goes even faster now.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 10:00 AM)
Ugh, yeah too late. I got the message last week and upgraded it. Don't like the new text screens, it takes forever to charge and it seems the battery goes even faster now.

Yeah. Droid 2.1 was way, way better than the BB OS, but now Droid 2.1 is only way better than the BB OS. Sort of frustrating that they seemed to take a step backwards with this version, in core areas like battery life and performance, all in the name of jamming in more toys.

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 05:47 AM)
What problems have you been having with T-Mo? I have been with them for years without any real complaints other than my Dash sucks as a phone. I am thisclose to picking up the Samsung Vibrant today and going a couple more years with them.

Nothing huge. I've been with them since 2006 and I feel the service has declined a little. I've been having some problems with my phone that have nothing to do with me for the last two years. And I just want to change anyway. Thanks for the input guys. Looks like I'll be going with the Incredible.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 07:02 AM)
If you root your phone like I did there are apps like SetCPU where you can set up profiles to underclock or overclock your cpu. For instance, when my phone is is sleep mode I set it up to underclock to 245 (lowest possible setting). My battery life has tripled.

Care to give advice on how to root an adroid phone. I'm going to get the HTC Evo this weekend.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 07:02 AM)
If you root your phone like I did there are apps like SetCPU where you can set up profiles to underclock or overclock your cpu. For instance, when my phone is is sleep mode I set it up to underclock to 245 (lowest possible setting). My battery life has tripled.

You keep tempting me with this.

Just curious, how much time do you think it took you to root, and make the changes you've made to improve the basics?

I've been with T Mobile for about 6 years and the quality has gone down, especially over the past year or two. I'm leaving them when I decide which phone I will buy.

I was very close to getting the Evo, but I decided I'll probably wait until the holidays when the next set of phones will be released (at least I hope so).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 06:16 PM)
You keep tempting me with this.

Just curious, how much time do you think it took you to root, and make the changes you've made to improve the basics?

The process I used to root took me a good 3 hours or so but there are much faster methods available now for the EVO. If you're going to consider rooting your Incredible make sure to bookmark this page. You can learn about rooting and things to do with your phone after you rooted.

By glancing through a few threads it looks like there's a fairly easy method available here. Make sure you read through the thread to get more info on the process before you dive in.

And here's what my 3 home screens look like after rooting. Completely customized theme and I am loving it.

Left_screen.pngmiddle_screen.pngright_screen.png

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 02:48 PM)
The process I used to root took me a good 3 hours or so but there are much faster methods available now for the EVO. If you're going to consider rooting your Incredible make sure to bookmark this page. You can learn about rooting and things to do with your phone after you rooted.

By glancing through a few threads it looks like there's a fairly easy method available here. Make sure you read through the thread to get more info on the process before you dive in.

And here's what my 3 home screens look like after rooting. Completely customized theme and I am loving it.

What exactly does "rooting a phone" mean?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 02:09 PM)
What exactly does "rooting a phone" mean?

Allows you to have access to the root level. Superuser rights.

From an EVO blog but all of it applies to any Android phone:

Some might say that all Android users can be categorized into one of two groups: those who root and those who don't. These groups can be further divided into countless subgroups, sure, but root access is easily a separating factor. You're either on one side of the line or the other.

But what about the people who are on the line? They are the root-curious guys and gals who keeping hearing about the underground world of rooting but are, for one reason or another, hesistant to check it out for themselves. They want to know more about the benefits of rooting, though, so they ask a lot of questions.

And now that the first proven rooting method for Android 2.2 on the HTC EVO is out, many of the typical root-curious questions are being asked again. Why should I root? What can I do with root access? What's so good about rooting? Should I do it?

You're the only one who can answer the last question, but the other three (which are variations of the same question) are briefly addressed below.

Freedom. Android may be an open-source operating system, but that doesn't mean you can do anything you want with the EVO right out of the box. What you can do with a stock EVO is what HTC and Sprint let you do.

Rooting your EVO gives you complete control of the system, which in turn grants you the freedom to do anything you want to do, including what HTC and Sprint don't want you to do.

Sprint app removal. One example of the aforementioned freedom is being able to remove all those Sprint apps. Without root access, these apps are permanently installed on your EVO.

Deeper customizations. If you think your EVO is already highly customizable, then just wait until you see how much more it can be customized with root. Boot animations and themes don't even scratch the surface.

More apps. There are a lot of awesome apps out there that only work on rooted phones. You've probably seen variations of "root only" or "root required" notes in app descriptions on Android Market, AppBrain, and elsewhere. With a rooted EVO, these apps are no longer off limits. You can install great stuff like ShootMe, Root Explorer, Copy Paste It, and countless others.

Free WiFi hotspot/tethering. This is one of the "awesome apps" alluded to above, but it definitely deserves its own mention. With root, you can turn your EVO into a mobile hotspot using apps like Wireless Tether, Barnacle Wifi Tether, and others. And you can do it for free!

Custom ROMs. You can't flash a custom ROM on your EVO without root. On just about every point, a custom ROM is better than the stock ROM. Talented developers cook up all kinds of custom ROMs that are cleaner, leaner, and meaner than anything that Sprint/HTC will ever put out.

Complete backups. Although anything done with your Google account is backed up to the cloud and there are ways to back up some of your apps, the only way to create a complete backup (Nandroid/ROM Manager) of your EVO is by having root access. Creating this kind of backup is similar to cloning/ghosting a computer's hard drive; you get everything.

Pretty compelling reasons to root, wouldn't you say?

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 01:48 PM)

Left_screen.pngmiddle_screen.pngright_screen.png

Talking about Arcade Fire in that text to your friend in the upper left corner of that pic??

Picked up the Evo this past weekend. Best phone I've ever had. Only question is, my girlfriend got the same phone and she's having a problem receiving text messages and email on time. They'll be timestamped for a different time and that's when she'll receive them even though they're sent way earlier. Anyone know how to change this? Never happens with my phone and the phones are normally next to each other.