Would you rather

kwill

White Sox 2011 Roster  

27 members have voted

1. 1. If you could would you keep this roster as is regardless of payroll?

• Same Roster
    • Make Small Changes
    • Make Large Changes

I was thinking that even though we probably lost the division and will not make the playoffs, how much I like this roster. So, I know we are going to make changes because of payroll issues, but if you could would you like the White Sox to comeback with the same exact roster.

Large changes. They are going to end up without Morneau for half the season, without Nathan for all of the season, we're getting just about a career year from Konerko, and we're still going to finish way up the tracks in the standings from them. I don't think small changes are going to cut it, between our payroll situation and just that the Twins are way better than us right now IMO.

QUOTE (kwill @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 10:27 PM)
I was thinking that even though we probably lost the division and will not make the playoffs, how much I like this roster. So, I know we are going to make changes because of payroll issues, but if you could would you like the White Sox to comeback with the same exact roster.

Well I think we need to start with a new GM and new manager.

We have had a rotten rotten 2nd half record under Ozzie's watch. If not for 05, he is already gone.

The chips all in every single year needs to stop as well. You cannot win the world series every year. Sometimes you need a strategy. I think the 5 year board that Kenny references is a large white board with random Royals players from this decade and former Cleveland Indian players from the 90s.

Then we need to undo the mess that is our minor leagues and get some fiscal flexibility. Kind of concerned that we are at max budget before the season ends for next year because we decided to push all chips in again.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 10:34 PM)
Well I think we need to start with a new GM and new manager.

We have had a rotten rotten 2nd half record under Ozzie's watch. If not for 05, he is already gone.

The chips all in every single year needs to stop as well. You cannot win the world series every year. Sometimes you need a strategy. I think the 5 year board that Kenny references is a large white board with random Royals players from this decade and former Cleveland Indian players from the 90s.

Then we need to undo the mess that is our minor leagues and get some fiscal flexibility. Kind of concerned that we are at max budget before the season ends for next year because we decided to push all chips in again.

Couldn't agree more, but I doubt Kenny or Ozzie is gone. Uncle Jerry seems happy trying to live off of 2005 forever.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 04:34 AM)
Depends on what you mean by large and small. If by large you mean a new catcher, DH, 3b, Rf, bullpen arm and closer, then I'll vote large changes.

Can't argue there.

I said small changes only because you know damn well if we trade any of our starting pitchers, they will excel elsewhere.

On paper we have Danks, Floyd, Peavy, Mark and Jackson. On paper we have Putz and Thornton and Sergio and Sale.

On paper that is a division title staff (though we still have to see it to believe it).

So that means change the lineup again. How to do that w/out dealing pitching, f*** if I know.

At some point we have to buy some free agents who are young and impactful.

Good luck Kenny. This year was totally bizarre.

The sad thing is you know guys that we lose are going to come back to kill us ... it's the Sox way. I can see AJ stroking gapper after gapper to beat us.

I can see Konerko hitting bomb after bomb after bomb to beat us ... in a Twinks' jersey?

How can we keep our pitching intact and drastically change the everyday lineup? And how can we get the starters to f***ing pitch to their potential?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 10:31 PM)
Large changes. They are going to end up without Morneau for half the season, without Nathan for all of the season, we're getting just about a career year from Konerko, and we're still going to finish way up the tracks in the standings from them. I don't think small changes are going to cut it, between our payroll situation and just that the Twins are way better than us right now IMO.

Twins are better than us, indeed, but not by that much. Here are the bright sides heading into next season.

1) We got off to a bad start, were 21-30 at the beginning of June. Had we played consistent baseball throughout the year, we could easily be a few games in front right now. We had a nice stretch from June to the beginning of August, but I guess the team ran out of gas, and we knew that the team will eventually cool off. But all in all, I am proud of the fact the way we came back from 9 under .500 and actually took a 4 games division lead.

2) We saw how good our offense can be if we can get everybody going. Our offense was horrid in April and May, and I remember at one point we were hitting .234 and last in MLB in team BA. But right now we are 6th with .269 team BA. I would assume we had the best team BA in all of baseball since the beginning of June. Guys who got off to a bad start, Quentin, AJ, Beckham, and Alexei, with the exception of Alexei, they weren't known for being slow starters, so if we can get them off to a quick start next year, we can be very good. Once again, our offense has potential, it's just a matter of consistency.

3) The Twins got lucky, very lucky. They had the easiest schedule to finish of all the teams in a pennant race. Another poster point out last week, the Twins keep winning despite being out hit in a lot of their games recently, especially after Morneau went out. They can't count on the same type of luck next year.

Guys who are having a fluke year:

Carl Pavano, the guy who is having a Renaissance year, the last time this guy had a year with sub 4.50 ERA was 2004. Then he couldn't stay healthy for 5 straight years. and this year, he is on pace to throw 230 innings. It's safe to say that he would either due for a drop off next year, or he will spend some time on the DL next year.

Brian Duensing, who the hell is this guy? with an ERA of 2.00 in over 100 innings pitched, and his minor league track record suggests that he is nothing more than an end of the rotation pitcher, it safe to say that he too, is due for a drop off, a tremendous one.

Danny Valencia, he has only 1 season of .300+ BA in the minor leagues, and has been on fire to start off his major league career. I say he will eventually go on some slump similar to the one Brennan Boesch had.

Jim Thome, we all know he has power, but he is 40 years old, and 41 next year. You can't count on a 40 year old to give you another year of .280 BA and 1.000+ OPS, and is he a free agent at the end of the year?

4) Here is the reason why I think the return of Nathan next year won't make them any better than this year. As good as Nathan has been, he still blows 5 or 6 saves a year. The duo of Capps and Rauch only blew 6 saves this year, and lost only 1 game, and if I am correct, one of the trio of Capps, Rauch and Fuentes will not return next year. AND we don't know how Nathan will fare after a year off due to injury, perhaps he won't be the same pitcher anymore?

5) Yes, Paulie is having a career year, and is carrying us by himself, we don't know if he is back next year, and knows for sure he won't put up the same production next year. But if we can resign Paulie, or sign a good free agent, Vmart, Dunn, or Beltre, and with the good young talent from our farm knocking on the door, Viceido, Morel and Sale, and the return of JFP, and a full season from Ejax, we can be even better than this year.

In conclusion, Twins are good, but they aren't that much better than us. Unless they go deep into the playoffs and win the WS, they won't have the payroll to add significant pieces. We in good shape heading into the offseason. I feel that no matter what we do in the offseason, it's still a two team race between the Sox and the Twins for the division title next year.

EDIT: IIRC, the terrible defense of Teahen at third costed us at least 3 games. If we can resign Omar, and put Morel at 3rd next year, and trade Teahen or put him on the bench, it would greatly improve our defense. (That guy is seriously a bad luck charm. After he went down, the Sox immediately caught fire, when he returns, the Sox came back down to earth. GET HIM AWAY FROM THE SOX NEXT YEAR!!) If we can also move Quentin to DH next year, we can field a great, great defensive team, to go along with the great starting rotation. Pitching and defense wins championships, and we have both.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 11:35 PM)
Would you do Danks and Quentin to the Rockies for Gonzalez? Then Sign Cliff Lee to slide in. World Series.

J4L might literally pull off his penis from stroking it so much if the Sox got CarGo.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

How about a new pitching coach?

Have Danks and Floyd progressed? Tony Pena which I still don't see the greatness the organization does? The starting rotation was a disappointment in April and May. Bullpen was more responsible for taking the team out of 1st place in August.

The two impressive pitchers of late are Sale and Jackson and they've had less exposure to Cooper.

Edited by kitekrazy

New C, 3B, RF, and DH for sure. I don't share the same hate for Juan Pierre as some. I think he's okay as a leadoff guy, but that's just my opinion. In my mind, there are much bigger issues than Juan Pierre in LF and leading off. To get what many of us would want as far as changes, you're looking at a lot of money. I think only one big impact player can be gotten for 3B (Beltre), C (VMart), RF (Werth), or DH (enter power hitter here). I'm afraid we're going to see minor tweaking and end up with a team that doesn't look much different (or better) than this year's team.