Keeping Kenny or Keeping Ozzie

winninguglyin83

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (wallyburger @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 09:11 AM)
If I could only bust one, it would be Williams.

Sell the club to Mark Cuban and start over. Reinsdorf's act is old and tired. White Sox fans deserve better, without all of the BS drama that surrounds this club.

Yeah...because when I think of Mark Cuban as a person and the Dallas Mavericks as an organization...I'm incredibly amazed by the lack of drama. It's just jaw-dropping.

QUOTE (wallyburger @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 08:11 AM)
If I could only bust one, it would be Williams.

Sell the club to Mark Cuban and start over. Reinsdorf's act is old and tired. White Sox fans deserve better, without all of the BS drama that surrounds this club.

If you don't like BS drama, then Mark Cuban might be the last owner you want.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 16, 2010 -> 01:31 PM)
Excellent. It's not like Kenny had a chance to replace those 24HR, 77 RBIs. Gardenhire probably handled Thome's playing time better than the Sox would have. He also got to see better pitches batting 7th. Thome's not going to be helping them as much help if that cold air moves in Oct for home games and you never know what will happen in NY. If the Twins face TB, I like their chances because Thome will be in the lineup in that dome.

This isn't the first guy we've seen go to another organization and have better success. Often it's in more consistent winning organizations. Environment has something to do with it. People forget that even in more team oriented sports like football.

Justin Morneau is the reason that Thome is playing right now, not Ron Gardenhire.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 07:37 AM)
Really?? That would kinda suck.

I would laugh and laugh if that haunts the Sox more than the Thome walk off HR of 2010.

I will call it the Larussa effect.

Managers get too much credit and blame for what happens on the field.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 06:41 AM)
I have only seen the opposite. Where are these rumors coming from? I'd be curious to see them.

It was actually quite interesting yesterday on the "Steve Dahl Show" podcast of all things. Pat Boyle from Comcast Sportsnet was on, and he told Dahl that he's heard rumblings that Ozzie is gone at the end of the year, and none other than Carlton Fisk will be the new manager. I don't quite know how legit that is, but coming directly from Boyle, there just might be something to it.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 03:51 PM)
It was actually quite interesting yesterday on the "Steve Dahl Show" podcast of all things. Pat Boyle from Comcast Sportsnet was on, and he told Dahl that he's heard rumblings that Ozzie is gone at the end of the year, and none other than Carlton Fisk will be the new manager. I don't quite know how legit that is, but coming directly from Boyle, there just might be something to it.

Fisk? Nice. Very nice. Hahn and Fisk.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 02:51 PM)

They would pretty much be the same type of managers. I don't see a chance in hell of that actually happening.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 01:21 PM)
There are more and more rumors Ozzie could be leaving.

There's no way in hell Fisk will be manager. That would be like naming Hawk GM. Oh wait ... that already happened.

I could see Ozzie going to Florida and Sox naming LaRussa.

That will not end well. LaRussa is the self proclaimed messiah. He is no better than Ozzie.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 02:56 PM)
They would pretty much be the same type of managers. I don't see a chance in hell of that actually happening.

Don't catchers have a reputation as being the smartest players on the field, as well as good managers? I don't see how they would be too similar, especially since I think Ozzie is the only player to ever be fooled by the hidden ball trick twice.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 02:56 PM)

You're joking about them being the same type of managers, right? Those two are nothing alike, other than they both have more respect for the game than many of the players. Beyond that, they are going to be very different.

Fisk would have some downsides, but some serious upsides as well.

Another name that has floated around before is Ventura. I think he'd be excellent, but he's also said he wants his kids to finish high school before he goes back to baseball full time. I am not sure if that has happened yet.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 07:53 PM)
Which cases are you considering? Game by game? Or are you counting Hudson's White Sox starts vs. Jackson's White Sox starts? You don't trade or acquire a player's past--you trade for their future.

Using the phrase case by case, I meant to refer individually to each of the trades, as I did in the post.

I think the point has been made, Hudson and Clayton are considered #4 or 5 starters in the AL, especially in our park. You wouldn't want to count on both of them. We got rid of Clayton, our third best lefty starter to pick up Peavy. That makes sense to me still. The injury is unfortunate. Jackson has a better arm and has been better for the Sox than Hudson was. Yes, we sacrificed the dollars and years of Hudson for the superior, more expensive Jackson. We knew that going in. I'm fine with that happening in a pennant race when you lose a starter for the season.

And Gio has been good in a good pitcher's park. It would be nice if we still had him. It would be even nicer if we still had Swisher, who we traded Gio to get. It would be nicer still if we didn't have Guillen as the manager.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 05:02 PM)
I wish you guys who talk about pitcher's parks and pitching in the NL would call Grobstien's show with your theory. He owned a guy who tried that last week.

A good pitcher is a f***ing good pitcher. I don't care about the peripherals.

Parks don't matter? Tell that to Mike Hampton.

QUOTE (Cali @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 03:37 PM)
I think we're a few days away from an extension announcement for Ozzie....

Agreed. This is JR we're talking about. Unless Ozzie is leaving on his own terms, it doesn't matter if the sox go 62-100 next year, he will still be the manager.