And that's a White Sox season!

Jordan4life_2007

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 10:53 PM)
Shouldn't it be the opposite?

We should be more upset the Twins haven't advanced very far or done well in the playoffs, because that makes our own losses to them during the regular season look even worse?

If they were a great team, then it would be a stronger argument supporting either the players, Guillen or KW.

I mean, I get the bigger point...it's almost impossible for me to root for them. Appreciate them, fine. Then again, I'm SO tired of this argument about the Twins' lack of playoff success and only beating the A's that I'd rather they at least made it to the World Series and then lost so it would be 100%, patently/clearly obvious we needed to step up our efforts to compete with them instead of this 85-90 win goal and "fixing things at the Break" idea which hasn't worked well at all the last two years.

I 100% agree with this.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (gatnom @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 01:18 AM)
I 100% agree with this.

I agree 100% as well. I hate losing to the Twins seemingly every year, but let's face it, We are the losers here, we are the team that sucks in comparison, we are the team that needs to step it up and with the odd exception here or there we have not.

I don't know what the solution is, but I believe that the first step for us, especially K. W. & Ozzie is to admit that they are better than we are and let's get our act together. The whole bashing the Twins because they consistantly beat us is definitely the wrong approach and makes us look like sore losers.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 06:52 AM)
I agree 100% as well. I hate losing to the Twins seemingly every year, but let's face it, We are the losers here, we are the team that sucks in comparison, we are the team that needs to step it up and with the odd exception here or there we have not.

I don't know what the solution is, but I believe that the first step for us, especially K. W. & Ozzie is to admit that they are better than we are and let's get our act together. The whole bashing the Twins because they consistantly beat us is definitely the wrong approach and makes us look like sore losers.

Are you serious? Ozzie's slurping of the Twins over the years has been downright embarrassing.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 07:56 AM)
Are you serious? Ozzie's slurping of the Twins over the years has been downright embarrassing.

I think respecting the competition is fine, but we spend too much time making excuses for our own inadequacies by slavishly preaching the “Twin philosophy.” We need to adapt to their approach, not stare in awe.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 07:05 AM)
I think respecting the competition is fine, but we spend too much time making excuses for our own inadequacies by slavishly preaching the “Twin philosophy.” We need to adapt to their approach, not stare in awe.

Thank you. There is a difference between "slurping them" in the media and respecting what they do enough to go out and try to better them. The Sox as a whole have said many nice things about the Twins over the years, but have actually done very little to be better at baseball than they are. Hopefully building a better minor league system is a start.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 04:28 PM)
So?

No doubt they are the better team this year. Show me where I ever denied that. But I refuse to slobber all over them for repeatedly drilling the Sox' hitters, high fiving their thug after his thuggish behavior cost them a run and an out when he got a cheap shot into AJ's face to send the Sox a message, and especially after hitting Paulie in the face and then hitting Pierre later in the game even after warnings were issued.

A sore loser would whine about losing or not making the playoffs because of something they falsely perceived as unfair -- you know, like the Twins fans and many in their organization did in 2008. I readily admit they beat the Sox and earned the 2010 AL Central title. But I'm not going to fawn all over them on a White Sox message board or root for them in the playoffs.

I hope the Yankees/Rays sweep 'em.

Blame that on our team being a bunch of p*****s and not retaliating.

I gotta hang with Rock here. In one of the threads in june right when the winning streak started I remember saying something to effect of (paraphrase) I would hate to see us go on a 2001-esque run of 22-7 to get back in the race only to meander around .500, finish in second place 6 games back and have done just bad enough not to make the playoffs but just good enough so that no changes are made and we are complacent. I don't really feel that way. it sucks. but clearly 2007 was worse. I really did/do like this team. Omar vizquel was one of the highlights of my baseball sox fandom. He was an absolute pleasure to watch. Paul Konerko melted that cynicism of #s and brought back that boyish giddyness that drove me nuts about people with Rowand/Crede. Sometimes you just LIKE that you get to root for a player on your team. Even if there are better options. I've rooted for that guy from awkward stages in middle school to now adulthood. Every summer getting to root for him. It sucks that this will just be one of those years like the southside hitmen where I can say how much I enjoyed watching them, but that extra meaning and umph of a playoff run just won't be there. Oh well. Baseball will go on. I just hope This next decade brings more meaning than sentimentality.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 07:11 PM)
Well the good news is...we haven't spent time meandering around .500, we've actually been a solid team. The Twins have just been flat out great. They've got a legit shot at home field throughout the AL.

Yeah but for a prediction in early june that was pretty spot on. The only thing I was wrong about was that it would be incredibly depressing as a fan, when I actually will look back on this season pretty happy.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 07:56 AM)
The Twins are 42-16 since the break.

You can't win em all, tip your cap to the f***ing insane-o-twins.

Yeah, pretty much. The Sox are roughly what I thought they'd be back in March: An 85-ish win team that had a chance to take the division if they could play like a 90-win team and if the Twins faltered. Obviously, that's not going to happen this year.

As for assigning blame, I have a hard time putting it all on Kenny. Yeah, the Sox didn't have a legit DH going into the season, but their problems have been so numerous this year that's it's pretty much a moot point. Like last year, he put this team in a position to win and the players didn't respond. (Though, to their credit, they played a hell of a lot harder this season.) If Kenny's responsible or anything, it's relying on dinosaurs like JD and Man-ram because the farm system hasn't produced an elite bat since the Schueler era. So if we want to fire Kenny based on the farm system, that's a legit argument. Other than that, I think that he's done a good job of fielding competitive teams.